Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

12 hours ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

It doesn't.

Just think we're more likely to pick up a better keeper in the loan market. Look at our previous goalie signings...I think the expected standard can be higher of the loan player too, especially if they came from a Premier league club.

The impact Urminsky had when he came in and the relief/assurance it gave to our defence, knowing that a decent keeper was there and not a bombscare. If we could get a gem like Schwake was for Edinburgh, it could make our season. Wishful thinking.

i recall losing urminsky 2 or 3 times as loan keepers can be taken back to their club when ever they like. that would be some risk to take

After two seasons and five dreadful, dreadful goalkeepers, we've finally signed a top-tier 'keeper, one who might be the best in the division already, and someone who should galvanise us. Darren Jamieson has been an excellent lower-league goalie for a number of seasons now and I'm delighted we've secured him. He's highly rated by supporters across the board and I hope he can give us that degree of security we've been badly missing.

In other news, Jordan Lowdon has agreed a new contract with the club. I didn't think much of him over the past few months but he might do us a decent job over the next 12 months. I do hope we have someone lined up who might play ahead of him; Lowdon as first-choice left-back doesn't enthuse me.

An update on our squad for the season ahead after today's news!

GOALKEEPERS
Darren Jamieson (signed from Kelty Hearts)
Curtis Lyle

DEFENDERS
Nicky Jamieson
Jordan Lowdon

MIDFIELDERS
Mikey Anderson
Adam Brown
Mikey Miller
Nat Wedderburn

FORWARDS
Matty Aitken (signed from Forfar Athletic)
Euan O'Reilly
Ross Taylor (signed from Auchinleck Talbot)
Matty Yates

Good bit of business getting in DJ been a brilliant keeper for us hope he does well at Stenny , excellent shot stopper and loved a penalty save only gripe I ever had was he guaranteed a how the f**k did you no save that every now and again and could be more commmanding in the box but that's just nit picking , would still gladly have him as our no 1 👌🏼👌🏼

Hmm, I'm not sure what to make of this signing. Four or five years ago it would have been a tremendous bit of business but I'm a bit wary about bringing someone who's been unsuccessfully kicking around the West of Scotland League for three seasons. Like any player I've doubted, I hope to be proven wrong and I hope he can do us a good turn.

26 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Hmm, I'm not sure what to make of this signing. Four or five years ago it would have been a tremendous bit of business but I'm a bit wary about bringing someone who's been unsuccessfully kicking around the West of Scotland League for three seasons. Like any player I've doubted, I hope to be proven wrong and I hope he can do us a good turn.

I think it's possibly right to be slightly apprehensive about the signing of Kirkpatrick. Yes it was the covid season where we were having to watch football with no fans, however in his few months at us, he didn't look any great shakes either, certainly not the player we saw play for Dumbarton as a youngster or for Alloa. If he still has that, then great, think you know you've got a player on your hands, but i'm not sure he does still have that. I suppose time will tell for you.

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

He came on loan to us (Stirling) during covid as Darvel didn't play any games and we were doing the closed door ones.

He was bang average at league two level and struggled to force his way into a poor Binos side . You are right to be weary of that signing