Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

1 hour ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

I don’t think you are in danger of dropping, but I also don’t think you will go up under current circumstances.

We are 4 points off bottom, haven’t kept a clean sheet since the first day of the season, haven’t won in the league for almost an entire quarter of the season and have a manager who has done nothing to indicate he has the wherewithal to get anything out of this side. I’d suggest those are danger signs.

It's clear Swift is an utter balloon but the club either won't sack him, or doesn't have the money to sack him or, even if they have one of those two, haven't the resource to clear out the duds in the squad til next summer.

Must be frustrating for the fans, a little similar to the Gary Irvine situation at Forfar, until recently.

9 hours ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Could be wrong, but the fact that this has entered another new week makes me think he will be in charge on Saturday. Given that there has been absolutely zero evidence that we are going anywhere under Swift (other than the Lowland League perhaps) then I don't think this decision is based purely on performances on the park. Can we afford to pay him off, particularly given the money wasted on Bryson and now Brown. I also notice QP returned to Hampden this weekend. What a fecking disaster this is turning out to be.

The Stenhousemuir board were always aware that Queen's Park would return to Glasgow at this stage. Lesser Hampden is still some way from completion but one of the stands is more or less ready so they're now in a position to play at home, even if the ground will have a reduced capacity for the time being.

As for the Craig Bryson/Liam Brown debacle, surely the wage allocated to Bryson was put towards Brown after the former's retirement? And surely we're not paying Queen's Park for a player who's refusing to turn out for us? There's probably a small pot of money available to bring in someone in next month.

But aye, if there was no announcement last weekend, it seems like we'll be heading into the Forfar Athletic game with Stephen Swift at the helm and an unhappy, frustrated support. Not brilliant.

I have previously stated I was thinking of not attending while Swift is in charge and I am still in that state of mind.  I want to show my support to the team but think my attendance gives validation to Swift's position. I am currently thinking that either a show of non attendance by the fans or a protest whereby they stay outside the ground for the first 15 minutes may force the Board's hand.

At the moment you cannot see where a win is going to come from but the board seem happy with this and content to listen to Swift's regular after match babble. It is now getting monotonous with the same garbage being uttered. 

The sound of silence from within the club is deafening.

I think the excuse of the extent of player injuries/suspension and the size of our squad, has perhaps gave Swift more time. 

The team is capable of turning form but too inconsistent at sustaining it. As well, as not really bettering on last seasons performances either, what does Swift see that he and his team can do to improve things? 

We should be capable of achieving the play-offs; despite not reaching our goal of winning the league, but we desperately need a new CB and CM in to achieve it. 

The Brown situation needs forgotten and his registration with us ended, especially if we're contributing to his wages or perhaps, we go begging and see if Brown will change his mind 😅.

I don't think protests are necessary really. Those from within the club will read these boards and of course the social media channels where it's plain to see across the board not one supporter believes in the current management team and there is elements within that where it's turning a bit nasty.

Always support the players, even though they need to give themselves a collective kick up the arse in all of this as well.

Two long trips in the last two weeks up north where the football has been garbage and the band that have been at those have been right behind the players and hopefully that continues.

Edited by Neilly

I don't think a protest would be appropriate really. Would just be a little embarrassing. The board are supporters aswell so will be feeling and thinking the same as we are. They however also know the detailed consequences of sacking the manager, so in an ideal world Swift will turn it around. I certainly think this was the situation earlier in the season prior to the Forfar game and the wee run of positive results we went on meant that the difficult decision was avoided. Now though, there is pretty overwhelming evidence that a change is required before things really get out of hand.

It's a shame Swift is on the receiving end given he isn't the one conceding all these goals, but obviously, he is the one who carrys the can and that's the way it is.

30 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Stephen Swift is no longer the Stenhousemuir manager.

Sean Crighton will take charge of the club on an interim basis until a new manager is found.

Potential early touted candidates for the vacant position? Alternatively who would Warrior fans like to see appointed? Would the preference be someone with SPFL experience?

Edited by CoveRangers1922

2 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Potential early touted candidates for the vacant position? Alternatively who would Warrior fans like to see appointed? Would the preference be someone with SPFL experience?

Danny Lennon seems the obvious candidate that's available and proven at this level.

I genuinely can't see the appointment being anyone else unless he doesn't fancy it of course.

I always look at who's worked at a higher level but maybe been struggling to get another gig for a while.

Tommy Wright for example, could we tempt someone like that to drop down to get back into the game? No idea what he'd want paying, and would imagine he'd be disappointed not to get a shot at something like the NI gig recently so likely wouldn't be looking to take up a post in L2 but that's what my thinking would be, without obviously knowing the ins and outs of our budget

Not necessarily him but looking in that kind of direction.

Would be perfectly happy with Danny Lennon though, he's done the business at one point or another and really shouldn't be taking a genius to get us going with our squad so recent failures wouldn't necessarily put me off that one.

Edited by Christophe

5 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:
9 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:
I’d bet a large sum on Danny Lennon being the new Stenny boss. No insider knowledge, just a feeling given your CEO is a guid Clyde man.

Aye has all the signs of a DL appointment

Could do much worse, in fairness. For all his recruitment was dreadful, and the wheels did fall off at the end, he was largely successful in charge of Clyde. Assuming he’ll be relatively well-backed at Stenny, I’m sure he’d achieve similar success too. A gentleman as well, despite his weird kidnapping children comments.

Stephen Swift's time in charge of Stenhousemuir was perhaps the most mediocre and unmemorable tenure since Campbell Money's dead zone between 2006 and 2007. The last 18 months have seen one, maybe two genuinely good performances in amongst long periods of muck; little bursts of form that tricked you into thinking the team were moving in a positive direction followed by disappointment. I think that's how I feel looking back over Swift's tenure - hoodwinked into believing he could deliver us some kind of success. The bad moments have definitely outweighed the good.

I've seen some posts on social media accusing Stenny supporters of having high expectations this season, pointing out that we're only a handful of points from the play-off places. With respect, I would disagree - a lot of money has been spent on this squad and we're almost as close to the bottom as we are to the top four. There was no indication that Swift could turn around this terrible slump. Watching his interview after the defeat at Elgin City, he looked lost and distant.

There's no point in writing up some long-winded summation of Swift's management because it's been covered so many times, in this thread and elsewhere - the terrible goalkeepers, the overthinking, the over-complication, the lack of connection with supporters - but I'm glad it's over. We need someone to come in and galvanise this group of players (who have seriously underperformed this season, by the way - it's not solely down to Swift) and stop the rot. Fanciful notions about league titles and promotion will have to be paused for the time being because our immediate priority is moving clear of the bottom of the table.

It's a shame it didn't work out.