Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

2 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

Been admirer of these two for a while. Good signings. Only reservation is whether it's a season too late, a la Stuart Malcolm.

Fraser Kerr is too good for league 2 so no surprise he's moving on which you'd imagine is the case.

So far so good from Bomber though.

That crossed my mind too - there's always that worry when we sign someone of esteem who turns out to be muck as soon as they pull on the jersey - but Mick Dunlop's always been a very handy player. He can organise a defence well and there's a real chemistry between him and his brother. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take the captaincy next year.

McGuigan and the Dunlops are some very impressive early business, especially for a League 2 campaign. 

All the best to Mick, he was great with me when I was going round getting all the players autographs as an 11 year old when we won the league in 08/09. Very good player on the pitch too who should never have been released when he was!

It looks like the club have removed the image of the Dunlop brothers in McDonald's from the webpage. A goddamn shame as well, as it added a lot of character to an otherwise unremarkable story.

I'm quite looking forward to the new season now. These three signings are of a very decent calibre and if we continue to bring in players of the same quality - and retain last term's better performers - we might just enjoy ourselves in League 2.

41 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm quite looking forward to the new season now. These three signings are of a very decent calibre and if we continue to bring in players of the same quality - and retain last term's better performers - we might just enjoy ourselves in League 2.

We were in same position as you guys last season - relegated after multiple seasons in League 1. Had a real rollercoaster season but there were more ups than downs and if you can get the right guys in (which it looks like you are doing so far) the trips to grounds you haven't been to for a few years and different posters on here is a decent break.

There is however that dreaded threat of the trapdoor if things don't go so well...

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

It looks like the club have removed the image of the Dunlop brothers in McDonald's from the webpage. A goddamn shame as well, as it added a lot of character to an otherwise unremarkable story.

>>> http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/stenhousemuir/scottish-side-complete-double-signing-in-local-mcdonald-s-1-4454083

Ross Meechan is confirmed for the season ahead - CLICK.

I always thought he'd signed a two-year agreement with us this time last year, but it's good to have it clarified all the same. I do hope Meechan's instated as our first-choice right-back - I've no doubt he'd be a huge success there next season, providing he's fielded there on a consistent basis. He had an indifferent campaign last year and I believe it was because his position was chopped and changed so often.

The same article also confirms that Jack Smith has left, much to the surprise of no-one.

2 hours ago, dafcburty said:

Fans Favourite set to re-sign for Stenny at Family Fun Day

https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/05/24/fans-favourite-set-to-sign-for-stenny-at-family-fun-day/

This interview was recorded this afternoon with Brown Ferguson.

Fair play to you, Jordan Burt.

I'm pleased to see Colin McMenamin sign on for another season but I do hope Bomber is looking to bring in another striker to supplement Mark McGuigan. There were times when Colin was a bit ineffective last term and could have done with a rest, so I reckon he's better used in reserve rather than as our principle forward.

I'm sorry to see Willis Furtado is moving on but that was always to be expected. I hope he finds himself a good club and enjoys a successful career.

I would agree with the above. Great guy to have at the club but hopefully more as a squad player than starting every game.

Having said that Peaso absolutely banged them in at this level last season and they are similar players in terms of age and the level they have operated at.

20 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Alan Cook, talk to me?

Good player. Can blow a bit hot and cold imo but he was playing most of last season carrying a knee injury and was probably still one of our better players. That being said, when's he's on fire I doubt there are many better left sided players in league 1. Sorry to see him go and hope he does the business for you. 

7 minutes ago, Jimbo21 said:

Good player. Can blow a bit hot and cold imo but he was playing most of last season carrying a knee injury and was probably still one of our better players. That being said, when's he's on fire I doubt there are many better left sided players in league 1. Sorry to see him go and hope he does the business for you. 

Yeah, that's a pretty accurate description. Alan Cook could be a bloody frustrating player - there's nothing worse than watching him sprint to the byline before leathering his cross out of play - but, on his day, he was excellent for us, especially last year. He's a proper, old-fashioned winger - he's fast, direct, attack-minded and inconsistent. He went for keyhole surgery before the end of the season so he should be fit and ready to go for July.

Cook's departure was always to be expected, he admitted as much after the final game, but he's a really sound guy and I hope he can do Alloa Athletic a good turn.

22 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

im sorry to see Willis Furtado is moving on but that was always to be expected. I hope he finds himself a good club and enjoys a successful career.

Where's Willis off to, any ideas? Has he just left and is hoping to find a club?

1 minute ago, Jimbo21 said:

Where's Willis off to, any ideas? Has he just left and is hoping to find a club?

No idea where's off to but it sounds like, going by Bomber's interview, he left of his own accord to find a team a bit higher up the food chain.

It's nice to know the door's been left open for him if things don't work out over the summer.