Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

38 minutes ago, Jimbo21 said:

I don't imagine McCormack will have much difficulty finding a club. he'll be remembered for his goal in the play offs last year. That's probably the nicest thing I can say. 

Forgot to mention that in my earlier post. Jamie McCormack, for all his faults, scored some really important goals for the club. The goals against East Fife and Queen's Park in the play-offs in 2014/15 were vital and his two headers in the 3-2 win against Airdrieonians last January were wonderful.

He had his limitations but McCormack did us a decent turn and I hope he gets fixed up soon.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

8 minutes ago, madforit said:

How did the boy Ally Roy play last season

Hard to say, really. He was overshadowed by the excellent Oli Shaw, who joined on loan from Hibernian at the same time, and on the occasions he did play he didn't offer much other than dig and graft.

He scored a very nice goal against Queen's Park in December and Alloa Athletic's Neil Parry knocked him clean out, but that's about it. He seems like a nice lad but I can't imagine he's got any real future at Heart of Midlothian.

4 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I feel a bit sorry for Mark Gilhaney. While I think it was right to conclude his time at Stenhousemuir, I don't think he was ever as bad as some people made out ("Moonglum25", I'm looking at you). He could be a frustrating player to watch and, particularly over the last few months, didn't appear to be very fit, but his effort was never in doubt. I think that, because he'd come to the club from the Championship with positive reviews from Dumbarton supporters, there was a level of expectation that he couldn't match. Gilhaney wasn't very fast, nor was he particularly skilful, and I think some people were disappointed he was no longer the flying winger he'd made his name as.

I hope everyone finds success wherever it is they go.

Look all you like - as far as a few of us were concerned he was a complete waste of space - cannot remember him ever making a tackle - indeed cannot remember him getting close to a player. Too many corners failed to get past the first man, seldom got involved in a game.  Why was he dropped for the period he was?   As you say he was neither fit nor skilful. If you're glad he's gone let me hear you say Hell Yeah!

2 hours ago, madforit said:

How did the boy Ally Roy play last season

Was used more often than not as a sub. Didn't do too much to be honest whenever I saw him, maybe a loan move to this league and against the type of centre halfs he was up against might have came a bit too early for him. Our kick and rush tactics probably didn't help him mind you but IMO for the chances he had in some games he should probably have scored a good few more. 

As FF mentions Oli Shaw done well and I wouldn't mind seeing him back next year if we could get him. 

I thought Roy was ok - don't think he will have a future at Hearts but he could be a decent player at this level I think. Wouldn't be too unhappy if he were to return next season as a signed player. 

I think Mark McGuigan could be a good signing for you boys in League 2.Never really got the rub of the green last season,injuries,viruses,in and out of the team but I think he could score 10-15 in League 2,lives in EK which is very handy,lovely down to earth guy,hope he scores a few.

Opinions differ about Gilhaney - basically failed to live up to his potential. I felt he was lucky to get a second season, missing from the team for almost all of the first 3 months of this year.  McCormick no real surprises there.  Let's not dwell on the past or past it but look to the future.

McGuigan hopefully is one of many on his way in.  Will be interesting to see who, having been offered terms, stays.

Mick and Ross Dunlop have joined the club from Albion Rovers - CLICK.

I am absolutely delighted with this. Mick Dunlop has been one of the best lower-league centre-backs for a couple of years now and his partnership with his brother has been the bedrock of Albion Rovers' recent success.

I imagine this means Fraser Kerr's association with the club will be coming to an end (which is a goddamn shame) but at least we're bringing in solid recruits for the year ahead. Fair play to Bomber.

Been admirer of these two for a while. Good signings. Only reservation is whether it's a season too late, a la Stuart Malcolm.

Fraser Kerr is too good for league 2 so no surprise he's moving on which you'd imagine is the case.

So far so good from Bomber though.