Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

24 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Should this topic not be in league 2 forum by now emoji112.png

Ah, come on, "Bring Your Own Socks"! The fabled GTF Day isn't for another month or so, so until then you'll have to make do and mend.

Do not troll this thread. I want to keep this topic a troll-free zone.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

10 minutes ago, ewan_fife said:

Where's furtado heading?

There's no official word on who's staying and who's leaving Ochilview just yet but I can't imagine Willis Furtado won't be hanging around next season. He deserves a move to full-time football and, if he stays in Scotland, I can see him going to a mid-card Championship team, someone like Dunfermline Athletic or Queen of the South. The player still has plenty to learn but there's a lot of talent in there and, with the right coaching in the right environment, I'm sure he can be a success.

12 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Ah, come on, "Bring Your Own Socks"! The fabled GTF Day isn't for another month or so, so until then you'll have to make do and mend.

Do not troll this thread. I want to keep this topic a troll-free zone.

Fair enough. I made the schoolboy error of judging you against Clyde fans who normally start next season's club thread around February.

Apparently Kieran Millar is taking a year out of football to finish off his studies.

Shame but fair play to him, best of luck to him. Education does come first and hopefully he gets the results he is after if he is taking a year out to focus solely on that.

I do feel for Stenny. As FF says, they have clearly managed to bring in a bit of quality through the season but I do think, over the season, they've just had the worst squad and they've managed to take it to the wire mostly because they've had a lot of fight about them, as opposed to Peterhead who probably have a better side on paper but have underperformed. I usually like to see the 'scrappier' side win out in those circumstances.

Crazy to think Stenny have had so little success ever. I've always seen them as a very competitive part time team and they have been, just unlucky that it's never really come together in a particular season.

When East Fife have been relegated to the bottom tier, it's always gutting but then you think 'Well pretty much all of my best memories of supporting the club have come from winning leagues and getting promoted out of that league. Just wait a year or two (maybe 3 or 4) and you'll get another season like that. I undertand why it's hard to think like that when you haven't had it before but there's nothing fundamental about Stenhousemuir, meaning they can't go and win a title. I'm sure they'll be back up before too long.

I think Stenhousemuir should adapt the Spanish banner from Euro 2008...

'Being Stenny is no longer an excuse. It's a responsibility'.

In a way, I find it a bit of a relief to go down. Circling the drain is no fun whatsoever, but you'd think we'd certainly have the potential to be a top half League 2 club, winning more often than losing.

Since we gained promotion in '99, I think we've had 2 or 3 seasons that have been enjoyable on the whole. The' Colin Cram' season the highlight for me and we finished third!

When I trot out the fact we've never ever won a league title in 130+ years when a Thistle, Falkirk etc supporting friend moans about their club brings gasps of disbelief.

The 2005/06 season was sensational fun, despite the way in which it eventually disintegrated. I was 19, in my second year at university, I'd moved away from my parents for the first time and I was getting right into following Stenhousemuir; it was a real coming-of-age year, like The Catcher in the Rye or Stand by Me but with more lower-league Scottish football.

We had some great players in our team that season - Willie McCulloch, Greig Denham, JP McBride, Paul McGrillen, Jim "Slime" Mercer, Colin Cramb, a 16-year-old David Templeton - and, before the spring, anyway, we played fantastic football. The 3-2 victories over East Stirlingshire in the Scottish Cup ("Ohya fucker, youse are out!") and East Fife in the league (where Templeton made his debut and turned a 2-0 loss into a tremendous win) will live long in the memory. We were even nine points clear at the start of March! The season also birthed the Akabusi Loyal; Des McKeown even chipped in so we could get a flag made.

On the pitch, at least, things began to unravel over the final two months of the season and our loss in form, coupled with Cowdenbeath and Berwick Rangers motoring up the table, saw us fall into third. Stories emerged of dressing-room unrest and suddenly our little club's dirty laundry was being flaunted in the national press. I've only ever cried at the football once, and that was when Cowden smashed us at Ochilview at the beginning of April (I've always held a grudging respect for them after they won the championship season and that's why I'd like to see them overcome East Kilbride in the League 2 play-off). We finished that year with 73 points, our greatest ever total, and it still wasn't enough to win a league title.

(If anyone cares enough, I did a big interview with McKeown about the season, which can be read HERE.)

There have been some good days since - winning promotion to the Second Division in 2009, beating Kilmarnock in the League Cup - but the unabashed hard-luck story of 2005/06 probably won't be topped for a long, long time.

some of my worst days at football ever have been at Ochilview.

2-6 v Stenny in late 2005; our two hulking, barely-awake-sloths-after-a-vat-of-beer centre halves outjumped twice for headed goals by David Templeton who was the size of a Swan Vespa shard at the time. And Andy Reid dropping s-l-l-l-l-l-o-o-o-o-oo-wwwww-ly as a free kick was already bulging the net behind him. Henry Hall sacked at the full time whistle, his team of iron filings who'd lost their magnet finally having produced one awful performance too many. The Montrose board looked grey, queasy and shot, as though they were in the dock at Nuremberg.

I'm sure we had a 0-5 off the Shire at around the same time and several atorcious defeats to them of smaller denomination but of equally fierce humiliation.

I always associate Ochilview with grey smirry rain that lies on your face like cold sweat, barcode-cancelled sandwiches from Asda (the biggest draw in Larbert), pasty, plooky teens whose E-number pallor is made more ghastly by home ProStar / Stanno maroon, w****r stewards working their ticket after being fired by the Stasi in 1990, a hauf-pished Neilly and dubs singing "Ivo Ivo what's the score" after the fourth goes in, and unfit jobbers like Andy Cargill, Jered Stirling and Willie Martin running around in circles pretending to chase shadows whilst the "goals against" column ticks over like an old four-star petrol pump. Hate the plum plastic pustule, even if I have a lot of time for the Stenny fans on here. For all these reasons I seriously hope we escape the wretched league two dungeon at the 22nd time of asking in the next few weeks.

In all honesty can't work out what's happened down to Stenny, they were a mdoel part time club until very recently.

26 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

some of my worst days at football ever have been at Ochilview.

2-6 v Stenny in late 2005; our two hulking, barely-awake-sloths-after-a-vat-of-beer centre halves outjumped twice for headed goals by David Templeton who was the size of a Swan Vespa shard at the time. And Andy Reid dropping s-l-l-l-l-l-o-o-o-o-oo-wwwww-ly as a free kick was already bulging the net behind him. Henry Hall sacked at the full time whistle, his team of iron filings who'd lost their magnet finally having produced one awful performance too many. The Montrose board looked grey, queasy and shot, as though they were in the dock at Nuremberg.

I'm sure we had a 0-5 off the Shire at around the same time and several atorcious defeats to them of smaller denomination but of equally fierce humiliation.

I always associate Ochilview with grey smirry rain that lies on your face like cold sweat, barcode-cancelled sandwiches from Asda (the biggest draw in Larbert), pasty, plooky teens whose E-number pallor is made more ghastly by home ProStar / Stanno maroon, w****r stewards working their ticket after being fired by the Stasi in 1990, a hauf-pished Neilly and dubs singing "Ivo Ivo what's the score" after the fourth goes in, and unfit jobbers like Andy Cargill, Jered Stirling and Willie Martin running around in circles pretending to chase shadows whilst the "goals against" column ticks over like an old four-star petrol pump. Hate the plum plastic pustule, even if I have a lot of time for the Stenny fans on here. For all these reasons I seriously hope we escape the wretched league two dungeon at the 22nd time of asking in the next few weeks.

In all honesty can't work out what's happened down to Stenny, they were a mdoel part time club until very recently.

I always remember us having an excellent record against Montrose, particularly in the 2005/06 season where we took 16 goals off them in our four meetings, but since then the Mo have enjoyed the upper hand, particularly at Ochilview. I've just had a look on soccerbase.com and since the start of the 2006/07 campaign, three of their six encounters in FK5, drawing two and losing the other.

Campbell Money had an abject record and lost 5-2 and 4-0 to Montrose during his miserable year at the club. The former featured a Neil Stephen (!) hat-trick and the latter, played towards the start of 2007/08, saw Marco Andreoni tearing through the middle of the park at will. Marco Andreoni! We didn't beat Montrose all season and only took a point. Those years, 2006/07 and 2007/08, were complete deadzones for Stenhousemuir.

As I mentioned on another thread in another part of the forum, I'd really like to visit Montrose next season. A bit of darts, some pool and a Coco Cramb in the Legionnaires Club before the match; you can't beat it.

aye, I wasn't around in those two seasons so have no memory of the games, just those bad ones :D

I'm just old enough to remember the old Ochilview- shale terracing, the enclosure opposite the matchbox stand, and the end which is now covered being open. Was better, really IMO. We confirmed our (one) title win after a 0-0 at Ochilview in 1985 although that was before my time. Back then the stewards kept chasing kids away from the end which is now a car park...it was just derelict wastleand then as I recall.

I always remember us having an excellent record against Montrose, particularly in the 2005/06 season where we took 16 goals off them in our four meetings, but since then the Mo have enjoyed the upper hand, particularly at Ochilview. I've just had a look on soccerbase.com and since the start of the 2006/07 campaign, three of their six encounters in FK5, drawing two and losing the other.
Campbell Money had an abject record and lost 5-2 and 4-0 to Montrose during his miserable year at the club. The former featured a Neil Stephen (!) hat-trick and the latter, played towards the start of 2007/08, saw Marco Andreoni tearing through the middle of the park at will. Marco Andreoni! We didn't beat Montrose all season and only took a point. Those years, 2006/07 and 2007/08, were complete deadzones for Stenhousemuir.
As I mentioned on another thread in another part of the forum, I'd really like to visit Montrose next season. A bit of darts, some pool and a Coco Cramb in the Legionnaires Club before the match; you can't beat it.

Marco andreoni I thought he was decent aswell!!!

I selfishly hope Montrose stay down I have missed my visits to Links Park.

Great to see them having a chance of promotion I honestly thought they were going the way of the Shire at one point as the country's laughing stock football team.

Hopefully see you boys next season.

19 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

(If anyone cares enough, I did a big interview with McKeown about the season, which can be read HERE.)

Cracking read FF. Will have to have a wee listen to those podcasts as well.