Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Who is he, whereabouts does he play and is he any good?

Bomber had spoken about the need to improve the squad, not just add numbers, so the manager must see something in him. I'm not sure where he would immediately fit into our starting XI just now.

He was signed last year at this point as part of our U20s team after his release by Hibs. After we won promotion, he featured for us 3 times near the end of the season, all on the left of a midfield four. This year he has played consistently for the U20s, mostly at LB, while making a couple of first team starts - one away to Buckie in the Scottish Cup at LB and against Morton in the league where he played RB. Personally, I think he is a player with a lot of potential. He has a good cross on him and likes to take players on. He's still got a lot to learn defensively IMO so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on and where he plays. He was handed a contract extension until the summer of 2018 by AJ in December so he is highly thought of by the manager and coaches at EEP. 

Edited by dafcburty

A left-sided midfielder, you say? He's probably in there to provide cover for Alan Cook, who isn't able to train at the moment (but who is able to body Airdrieonians on a consistent basis).

It's nice that Cook can find time out of his busy schedule to ensure Stenhousemuir retain us firmly on their mantelpiece.

I make it 5 goals in the last couple of seasons (with still another opportunity to add to that this season).

Who is he, whereabouts does he play and is he any good?
Bomber had spoken about the need to improve the squad, not just add numbers, so the manager must see something in him. I'm not sure where he would immediately fit into our starting XI just now.

Ex Hibs youth player.
He originally came as a winger, right footed left midfielder, however he has played pretty exclusively at left back for the u20s and the last game he started for us was at right back.

He is apparently a player with potential who the management rate highly, however he will need to improve astronomically as a defender to make it as a full back and if he was that good a winger why would we have moved him back into defence?

When he got a run in the team at the end of last season we drew 2-2 with Forfar, got beat 4-1 by Stranraer and 3-0 by Airdrie, not down to him of course we were fielding a weakened side in general.

As with all our youth players I hope he does well.

23 minutes ago, Cooper81 said:

why can't he train then ?

I'm not sure, the manager spoke on Warriors TV saying he was carrying an injury that prevented him from training (but not from playing, strangely enough). His leg's been taped up over the last few matches - I can only imagine he continued to play on until suitable cover was sourced, which must have come in the form of Connor Duthie.

3 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm not sure, the manager spoke on Warriors TV saying he was carrying an injury that prevented him from training (but not from playing, strangely enough). His leg's been taped up over the last few matches - I can only imagine he continued to play on until suitable cover was sourced, which must have come in the form of Connor Duthie.

When he was at Airdrie he was a bit unfortunate as we were playing in a league above and you can tell now he has built up physically a bit more than when he was at Airdrie.

Edited by Cooper81

9 minutes ago, Cooper81 said:

When he was at Airdrie he was a bit unfortunate as we were playing in a league above and you can tell now he has built up physically a bit more than when he was at Airdrie.

He certainly seems to have matured a lot over the last few years. Cook bounced from club to club for a while and I'm sure this is the only time in his career where he's stayed somewhere for more than one season. I can't say I know him well at all but he comes across as a nice guy on the times I've spoken to him and his da's a good guy too.

• 3 weeks later...

Stenhousemuir's erstwhile Director of Football Robert Rowan is currently in talks with Rangers about taking up a similar post at Ibrox - CLICK.

Even although a club of Stenny's size absolutely did not need someone like him on the books, I liked the cut of Robert's jib and he came across well in interviews and at the fans forum, so best of luck to him.