Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

16 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

There’s nothing more exciting than signing a guy from the lower reaches of the pyramid (previously the juniors) who has scored a load of goals. We seem to never take a punt on these kind of guys. The last one we did take a punt on (Garry Fleming) done not too badly for us! I’m pretty sure he was banging in 30+ goals a season for Irvine Meadow at the time and whilst he wasn’t a prolific striker he was a fantastic player for us. 

We’ve had a few flops as well mind you but this lad Sewell looks like a bit of a player.

Agreed - I'm actually more looking forward to seeing Will Sewell in action than Craig Bryson. From the clips I've seen of Sewell, he looks like a hard runner and a confident finisher (albeit some of the defences he's been up against have looked appalling) and I hope he can translate that into a decent return in League 2.

Our signings from outside the SPFL have been largely mixed, with a handful of gems in there with a tonne of dreck (ie, the majority of last summer's transfer business), and I'm hoping Sewell can do us a good turn and kick on further up the ladder.

Here's the updated squad list for the season ahead:

GOALKEEPERS

• Conor Brennan (signed from East Kilbride)
  • Jay Cantley (signed from Airdrieonians)

DEFENDERS

• Adam Corbett
  • Sean Crighton
  • Daniel Higgins (signed from East Fife)
  • Nicky Jamieson

MIDFIELDERS

• Mikey Anderson
  • Adam Brown
  • Craig Bryson (signed from St Johnstone)
  • Ross Forbes
  • Mikey Miller (signed from Ayr United - loan made permanent)
  • Nat Wedderburn

FORWARDS

• Niyah Joseph (signed from Queen of the South)
  • Euan O'Reilly
  • Tam Orr
  • Will Sewell (signed from Largs Thistle)
  • Matty Yates (signed from Stranraer)

Seen Joseph play quite a few times for a very good Hamilton reserves side who actually won the SPFL Reserve League in 2019/20, and competed in the UEFA Youth League. They had quite a bit of talent in that team but not sure many of them have kicked on tbf. We have of course had Liam Scullion from that same squad in recent years. Not sure how Joseph has been getting on at QoS but from what I seen of that Accies team I thought he was one of the more promising prospects at the time so hopefully he can do us a turn at L2 level.

13 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Seen Joseph play quite a few times for a very good Hamilton reserves side who actually won the SPFL Reserve League in 2019/20, and competed in the UEFA Youth League. They had quite a bit of talent in that team but not sure many of them have kicked on tbf. We have of course had Liam Scullion from that same squad in recent years. Not sure how Joseph has been getting on at QoS but from what I seen of that Accies team I thought he was one of the more promising prospects at the time so hopefully he can do us a turn at L2 level.

The reviews from Queen of the South fans have been downbeat - have a look at their thread in the League 1 forum. They did, however, acquiesce that while he might have struggled in the Championship, he might do a decent turn in League 2.

Here's hoping! 

9 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

In what way? The club have billed him as winger... we need someone to play to the right of our attack... I'm not sure Joseph is a "needless signing" at all!

Transfermarkt - who are usually accurate - have him down as a left winger who has also played AM and sometimes striker. We do not need any of those things.

If he is a right winger, fair enough but I'm skeptical about his ability anyway.

At our level & wage structure you always need squad fillers, meant with no disrespect. Not every signing can be barnstorming. He featured 18 times for Queens last year & whilst the reviews from them aren't great he could be useful at our level. A simplistic way to view it but I doubt Daz Christie or Cammy G would have featured 18 times for a championship team so in that respect he should be an upgrade on those two.

It is a good squad developing there, my hesitancy in being positive about Stenny is that manager Swift seems a balloon to me. He'll need a fast start this season IMO. Do feel he really underestimated the league last season by signing a lot of dross from BSC and the recovery was fitful and too late.

4 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Seems like a needless signing.

I don't mind signings like this and I think Swift has recognised a lack of attacking depth last season. Another player who fits Swifts plan of pressing from the front. He'll add competition for places, which is healthy. Looking forward to seeing what he can do in league 2. 

Our front line is impressive. Club are doing some good stuff. 

Going with the update from the chairman, it seems we have a pretty extensive scouting team who are working under Martin Christie and Swift. I'd imagine these players have been scouted or profiled throughout the season. 

The WoSFL and EoSFL will be a common destination for most lower league team scouts now. 

Certainly feels more in control this summer, decent summer signings that appear to fit the type of football we want to play. 

On 07/06/2022 at 12:18, gtb said:

Likely due to the font size set on your device.

It was on an iPad if that helps. With al the Goodwillie publicity, Raith etc. just thought that particular word might be something you don’t want, especially in the context of the women’s team. Leave it with you guys.

6 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

It is a good squad developing there, my hesitancy in being positive about Stenny is that manager Swift seems a balloon to me. He'll need a fast start this season IMO. Do feel he really underestimated the league last season by signing a lot of dross from BSC and the recovery was fitful and too late.

I agree that Stephen Swift is going into the current campaign under pressure to deliver success, and that he underestimated the quality in the SPFL when he put together his team last summer, but I think (and hope) he'll have learned a lot from his mistakes from the previous season (and there were plenty of them!) We're about two signings away from having a solid starting XI and we appear to have greater depth. On top of that, I've always felt Swift comes across well in his interviews and I find myself broadly agreeing with him, regardless of the result.

I hope he holds a meet-the-manager forum one evening before the season kicks off, it would be good to get his thoughts on his time at the club so far and his plans for the season ahead.

2 hours ago, Burnsythebinman said:

would be interesting to know how we found players like sewel, joseph

I would imagine most (every?) club at this level will have a good idea about the better players in the lower divisions and the leagues outside of the SPFL, either through a scouting network or personal relationships between managers, coaches and players.

I remember, earlier, at one point last season, saying to a fellow Warrior that Adam Corbett's performances might attract the attention of teams like Montrose or Alloa Athletic and he said that neither side would have heard of him. I'll say now what I said to him then: I disagree! Every side will have the feelers out there!