Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Time will tell, but I can't see any club having a better hour of signings than that in League Two this season. It's still very early days for a lot of clubs, but I'd probably have you guys down as league favourites. A lot of quality in that squad.

Craig Bryson is an interesting signing. I'm always very wary of bringing in players who are on the way down, especially a 35-year-old with his recent injury record, but there's no doubt that on ability alone he's comfortably a Premiership-calibre midfielder and should stroll through League 2. He played in a Scottish Cup final 12 months ago, for heaven's sake!

Does he still have the heart for the fight? Can he stay fit enough to get through the season? Will he inspire and cajole his team-mates? If the answer is "yes", we could have a sensational player on our hands; if not, he'll play six games and pack it in before 2023.

This is the signing I'm the least excited about (and the most cautious) but let's see how we go!

2 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

As someone who got very excited about the signing of a certain Danny Swanson - approach the Craig Bryson signing with caution. 

I absolute agree but in the same breathe hard not to be excited to get a player of that calibre to the club. Shows a signal of intent and will show other potential signings we mean business and to join us as well.

Really positive evening for the club I'm delighted with those three signings.

Looking forward to see how we navigate finishing 6th with this squad.

After this evening's transfer dealings, here's how the squad is shaping up for the season ahead:

GOALKEEPERS

• Conor Brennan (signed from East Kilbride)
  • Jay Cantley (signed from Airdrieonians)

DEFENDERS

• Adam Corbett
  • Sean Crighton
  • Daniel Higgins (signed from East Fife)
  • Nicky Jamieson

MIDFIELDERS

• Mikey Anderson
  • Adam Brown
  • Craig Bryson (signed from St Johnstone)
  • Ross Forbes
  • Mikey Miller (signed from Ayr United - loan made permanent)
  • Nat Wedderburn

FORWARDS

• Euan O'Reilly
  • Tam Orr
  • Will Sewell (signed from Largs Thistle)
  • Matty Yates (signed from Stranraer)

28 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We've also signed someone called Will Sewell from Largs Thistle, who scored 41 goals in 19 appearances last season. That's an astonishing return and I hope it translates to League 2.

As for Matty Yates, I'm delighted with that. I can't think of a single player last term who gave us as much bother as he did. A clever, clinical forward and someone who could work well with Tam Orr up top.

Two intriguing acquisitions!

Rumour is a West of Scotland League side offered a 5 figure fee for Sewell so must have cost a few quid.

31 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We've also signed someone called Will Sewell from Largs Thistle, who scored 41 goals in 19 appearances last season. That's an astonishing return and I hope it translates to League 2.

As for Matty Yates, I'm delighted with that. I can't think of a single player last term who gave us as much bother as he did. A clever, clinical forward and someone who could work well with Tam Orr up top.

Two intriguing acquisitions!

While his goalscoring record is very good, I'm pretty sure the twitter admin made a mistake because he has 100% played more than 19 games this season

Bryson is made of chocolate, but on paper a very good signing and generally Stenny seem to be putting together a decent squad. As Francesc Fabregas said, signings like that at this level usually go one of two ways; great success or abject failure with very little middle ground usually.

I've just checked Craig Bryson's stats on Soccerbase and he only made 10 appearances for St Johnstone last term, and hasn't played since Boxing Day. He'll be 36 in November and I wonder how he'll get on playing on a synthetic surface most weeks (even if that's probably overblown). A big name with plenty of experience but, similar to when we signed Gary Harkins or Ross Forbes, let's not get carried away!

I also wonder how we'll line up in the middle of the park. When we started with a 4-2-3-1, we had a good balance with Mikey Miller and Nat Wedderburn in the double pivot; when we played with the diamond, Mikey Anderson came in with great effect. How do you include Bryson into this equation? And what do you do with someone like Adam Brown? And what about Forbes himself?

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

Surely Forbes will be away. If not am sure it's not for the want of trying.

Though I get the comparisons I think Bryson is a diff level signing. A wild signing really. We don't have a sniff of signing him if he never had injury issues previously.

F*ck being cautiously optimistic we need to be mounting a serious title challenge this year.

Bryson is a quality player. If he could stay fit he'd still be starting for us.

The fact he's dropping 3 tiers probably tells you where your hopes should be though.

I honestly hope part time football is kinder to his body and allows him to play more. 

Will be very interested to see how Bryson does. I feel that in football terms he's much older than his actual age though.

He broke into the Clyde team at 18 and went on to make over 100 appearances, missing very few games. Similarly, he racked up over 100 games for Kilmarnock in 4 years, and then played roughly 40 games a season in each of his first 4 years at Derby.

That's a lot of football for anyone and I do think it's taken it's toll on him now, especially as a player who always went box-to-box and gave everything in every game. 

Although he had another season at Derby afterwards I think Bryson's last really good season performace-wise was 2017-18 on loan at Cardiff, and even that was only 22 games.

Clearly he could still be an excellent signing at league 2 level but, even when fit, he's nowhere near the player he used to be unfortunately. 

Edited by Jaggy Snake