Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

23 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

Like Jamieson, but surely O'Reilly is our player if the season. So far...

I love Euan O'Reilly but, if I'm being honest, I don't think he's been as red hot since he signed his new contract! When we went on that five-game winning run between October and November, he was excellent, but, over the course of the season, I'd wager Nicky Jamieson has been our best player.

Will be interesting to see if Thomson starts, better to play him from the off and when he runs out of steam bring on Orr. Good news about the keeper, can't help feeling that after all this time out if Buzz will ever make a full recovery and unfortunately for him time is not on his side.  As FF says would like to see him have a farewell game.

Hopefully the wind will not ruin the game today. Reportedly it is to die down by 3pm but if not ball to O'Reilly and let him go at their defenders.

The other question is who he is going to pair with Jamieson in defence.  I know who we all would like to see but he will probably go with Crighton.

As long as the performance is better today than it was against Cowdenbeath.

How did Callum Yeats get on today? I genuinely have no opinion of him since he’s barely had any minutes throughout the season for us. Disappointing he didn’t get more of a chance given he was highly rated at stenny last year

17 hours ago, qpfc said:

How did Callum Yeats get on today? I genuinely have no opinion of him since he’s barely had any minutes throughout the season for us. Disappointing he didn’t get more of a chance given he was highly rated at stenny last year

Callum Yeats had a very good game yesterday. He didn't have much opportunity to get forward but he was excellent defensively and thwarted a lot of Elgin City's attacks down the flanks, and he look calm on the ball and used it well. He's slotted in seamlessly and it's almost as if he'd never been away. I'm delighted our supporters have got the chance to see him play because he was one of the few bright spots in the gruesome 2020/21 campaign.

Apparently we're close to bringing in another player (an attacker) while up to four players are likely to move on in the next week.

I didn't think Saturday was a great watch but it was a real positive day for the squad as a whole moving forward.

Mikey Anderson really pulled that performance from nowhere and he will be a useful player moving forward if he can stay anywhere near that level.

We got to see Yeats in the flesh and he is exactly the same player that impressed last season. Tenacious in the tackle, keeps the shape well and lovely use of the ball. Him and O'Reilly should be a very good partnership at this level.

The return of Thommo. He was clearly rusty but his touch and awareness at times is sublime. It feels massive to have him back in the team for the running I always maintained if we were around the play offs when he came back we would secure them and I haven't changed that opinion. He is such a difference maker for us.

If we are getting rid of quite a few squad players this week, as strongly rumoured, and bringing in one more then we can't ask for anymore from the window really we have got in what everyone wanted and more. Hopefully the lads greetin' in the last few weeks about signings can acknowledge that and give the kudos to all involved.

Bernard Coll and Ryan Tierney have both left the club by mutual consent:

I thought Coll was a decent left-back and looked absolutely okay whenever he featured but it was clear Stephen Swift didn't really fancy him. When Ross Lyon, a right-back, was fielded ahead of him, his status diminished further and with Callum Yeats signed on Saturday, there was very little chance of him playing again. He was nowhere near as poor a player as Forfar Athletic fans made him out to be but Lyon and Yeats are just better than him.

Tierney isn't good enough for the SPFL and looked out of his depth whenever he played. In terms of his quality and overall ability, he's miles behind Tam Orr and Robert Thomson and offered very little. Too small and too slow to make an impact and someone we brought in purely to beef up our numbers.

I think the club should look to extend the contract of Thomas Orr, if possible. His goal record over the past two months has been extraordinary and he's a key reason we're still within touching distance of the top four.

I'll admit to having written him off earlier in the season and was adamant we would require a new striker but, alas, he's proved me wrong! Mr Swift, do the right thing and sign him up!

I think the club should look to extend the contract of Thomas Orr, if possible. His goal record over the past two months has been extraordinary and he's a key reason we're still within touching distance of the top four.
I'll admit to having written him off earlier in the season and was adamant we would require a new striker but, alas, he's proved me wrong! Mr Swift, do the right thing and sign him up!
No arguments here. He does probably need to get better at link up play etc as Frazer Wright indicated in post match yesterday, as he can't score every game and will have dry patches so during that need a bit more but he is having some impact on the goal front and that's invaluable.

9 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:
15 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

No arguments here. He does probably need to get better at link up play etc as Frazer Wright indicated in post match yesterday, as he can't score every game and will have dry patches so during that need a bit more but he is having some impact on the goal front and that's invaluable.

Definitely, but I don't think asking him to hold up play really suits him - he doesn't have a great first touch and lacks the strength to back into defenders and keep possession. He's a finisher who just wants to get into positions where he can have a go for goal without thinking. For instance, his two strikes against Elgin City last weekend were terrific and came from him running onto the good work of others and shooting.

While we're at it, give new deals to Adam Corbett, Ross Lyon, Nat Wedderburn and Robert Thomson, and get Mikey Miller tied up on a permanent contract! 'Tis the season!

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

It's been a very good return from Orr and obviously could have been better having missed two penalties. I actually do feel his all round game has improved a lot from earlier in the season. He's holding the ball up better and his running in behind seems to have a bit more thought to it, like yesterday's goal for example.

Now Thomson is playing closer to him I think that can only benefit him. Thomson is very clever in his link up and creating space for others.

Whether in League 1 or 2 for sure a core of Jamieson, Lyon, Corbett, Nat, Miller, Thomson and Orr I would be delighted with. Fantasy booking but if Yeats was at all available in the summer he would be some acquisition permanently. What a player.

20 minutes ago, Neilly said:

It's been a very good return from Orr and obviously could have been better having missed two penalties. I actually do feel his all round game has improved a lot from earlier in the season. He's holding the ball up better and his running in behind seems to have a bit more thought to it, like yesterday's goal for example.

Now Thomson is playing closer to him I think that can only benefit him. Thomson is very clever in his link up and creating space for others.

Whether in League 1 or 2 for sure a core of Jamieson, Lyon, Corbett, Nat, Miller, Thomson and Orr I would be delighted with. Fantasy booking but if Yeats was at all available in the summer he would be some acquisition permanently. What a player.

Don't forget Euan O'Reilly, Ross Forbes and (probably) Sean Crighton!

29 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

While we're at it, give new deals to Adam Corbett, Ross Lyon, Nat Wedderburn and Robert Thomson, and get Mikey Miller tied up on a permanent contract! 'Tis the season!

100%. Think those players have definitely merited a contract extension. I think I would offer Darren Christie another year as well. His attacking play can open up teams and he's direct, which works well with O'Reilly. 

If we could get Yeats permanently, that would be amazing and a solid foundation for the start of next season. 

Congratulations to Tam Orr on winning the League 2 Player of the Month award - thoroughly deserved after his performances throughout the month. He played well in every match and was the only Stenhousemuir player to score in January.

Now give him a new contract!