Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

I was thinking the same thing, but I read on another thread that more than half the sides in League 1 haven't signed any players in the window. Perhaps most, if not all, of the teams in the third and fourth tier are in the same market for players and we won't really see any movement until later on in the week. It can be frustrating, especially when you see teams around doing business, but I'm positive we'll have a couple of imports with us by Thursday.

A new goalkeeper and a forward, please!

The usual knicker wetting goes on at the same time every year. Most work will be done towards the end of the month and into February for the loan market for the majority of clubs in the lower leagues. 

With covid added into the mix, meaning a further reluctance from clubs to ship players,  I would think this particular window is probably the most difficult for clubs to strike deals in living memory.

On 24/01/2022 at 09:17, Francesc Fabregas said:

I was thinking the same thing, but I read on another thread that more than half the sides in League 1 haven't signed any players in the window. Perhaps most, if not all, of the teams in the third and fourth tier are in the same market for players and we won't really see any movement until later on in the week. It can be frustrating, especially when you see teams around doing business, but I'm positive we'll have a couple of imports with us by Thursday.

A new goalkeeper and a forward, please!

Mark Lamont from Alloa is a name that has been linked to Stenny.

4 hours ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Mark Lamont from Alloa is a name that has been linked to Stenny.

I don't know much about him, but I see he was on loan at Broomhill FC earlier in the season, thereby fulfilling Stephen Swift's main criteria for signing players.

10 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

The club have just said that Graeme Smith is back training (but won't feature at the weekend). In other words, we're not signing a new goalie?

You're going to have to presume not. It's hard enough to justify having three goalkeepers at this level, never mind four, and bringing in someone new was always likely to be wishful thinking, no matter how much supporters clamoured for it.

With Robert Thomson back from injury (and, by the sounds of things, available to appear on Saturday), I'd be surprised if we signed anyone else after reading the weekly newsletter.

Yesterday really was a good news day and I'm really excited for this afternoon's match against Elgin City.

After reading that Graeme Smith was back in training, I assumed we wouldn't have the capacity to bring in another goalkeeper and we'd plod along with Ryan Marshall until the end of the season; I'm delighted this isn't the case and we've rectified a major problem area. I've got high hopes for Peter Urminsky - St Mirren fans speak well of him on their thread - and would like to think he can bring a degree of security and confidence to our defence that we've missed all season (and even by virtue of "saving shots", he's an enormous step up from Marshall and Davie Wilson).

I wonder what this will mean for the pair of them going forward. There might be something worth pursuing with Wilson and I think he would make a useful back-up goalkeeper, so I'd be minded to loan him out somewhere (the Lowland League, perhaps?) to play regularly and regain his confidence before returning. Marshall, meanwhile, is a big dull dud and, all things being well, he'll warm our bench for the remainder of the season before departing in the summer. As for Smith, I imagine he'll leave too when his contract expires but I'd like to see him given a final game at some point towards the end of the campaign - an end-of-season dead rubber or something.

Nicky Jamieson has probably been our Player of the Season and I'm thrilled he's signed up for the next 18 months. It took him a couple of games to get up to speed but since about September onwards, he's been such an important presence. He's a big unit, rarely gets pushed around, and reads the game very well. When the ball's up in the air to be won, I rarely think he's going to lose the header. Jamieson will be the bedrock of our defence going forward.

Chuck in rumours that Robert Thomson is in line to start today's game and we're going into it with a fair degree of positivity!