Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Our Head of Media QTd the news about Euan O'Reilly's contract extension with: "There's a load more I'd love to be making this graphic for!" - with respect, I disagree!

It's early days yet, but who would you want to have signed up for next season? I'd say Nicky Jamieson on a permanent contract, Robert Thomson, Ross Lyon, Adam Brown and Nat Wedderburn (and maybe Adam Corbett, the boy has something about him!) but other than that?

12 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Our Head of Media QTd the news about Euan O'Reilly's contract extension with: "There's a load more I'd love to be making this graphic for!" - with respect, I disagree!

It's early days yet, but who would you want to have signed up for next season? I'd say Nicky Jamieson on a permanent contract, Robert Thomson, Ross Lyon, Adam Brown and Nat Wedderburn (and maybe Adam Corbett, the boy has something about him!) but other than that?

Got to agree with the above names which is perhaps a damming indictment on what we have in our team this season. Surely another striker and goalkeeper will be added in January at least.

18 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

They are all fine - I like Corbett too. That would be a core of 7 + hopefully a new goalie in January which isn't bad given where we have been in recent seasons. 

He was also our best player by a mile against Airdrie so may be something in it but January would seem a strange time to make a move as a fee would be involved surely.

Had a shaky start here but since he's been moved to left back he's been excellent, has got his confidence and can now play either full back position very well.

On 08/12/2021 at 16:22, WeAllDreamOfATeamOfAndyRyans said:

Not a clue how reliable this is but heard that we are linked with Ross Lyon in January, any info about him? Position and how good he is etc?

16 hours ago, Neilly said:

He was also our best player by a mile against Airdrie so may be something in it but January would seem a strange time to make a move as a fee would be involved surely.

Had a shaky start here but since he's been moved to left back he's been excellent, has got his confidence and can now play either full back position very well.

Craig Watson is our first choice right-back and behind him we’ve got Scott Walker and another couple of players who can do a decent enough job filling in there. Would be strange then to pay a fee for a player, who’s unproven above League 2 and not really a standout there(?) and who’s no better than the players already playing in his position. That being said, we’d also had Sam Wardrop in our squad at the start of the season so perhaps it is a position Murray is wanting filled. We could do with a centre-half, some proper cover at left-back and a winger as a priority so his ability to play both full-back positions could be useful I guess. 

I'm surprised to see Ross Lyon being linked with a club that's challenging for promotion to the Championship. He's been decent for us over the season so far and he's shown up well in a number of positions (and he's the only player we've brought in from non-league football that looks remotely capable of playing at this level on a consistent basis) but he's not good enough for anything beyond League 2. I don't think he's a particularly effective attacker, nor do I feel he's an assured presence in the back four, and his little burst of pace can cover a multitude of sins.

I agree with the sentiments above that he's an important player for us, but that says more about where we are just now rather than how impressive Lyon is.

The credit Swift built up after the unbeaten run is well and truly gone because the subs cost us today.

Anderson, James Lyon and Orr were  anonymous and offered nothing.  Tapping done well until the equaliser, but why not shift Corbett inside and bring on Corr?  How Anderson lasted 90 minutes is beyond me, he’s nowhere near the level required.

Definitely seeing today as two points dropped rather than one point gained.

On a positive front, Euan O’Reilly is different gravy and getting him signed on for next year is great business.  He probably should have scored late on but if it wasn’t for him we’d not offer much in an attacking sense so we can’t really be too annoyed.

Edited by warriors21

Wedderburn's a unit. We'll have him if you ever get fed up with him.. :lol:

It wasn't a bad away trip in that there was good soup bought from the pie stall and your young team had some good banter today. One wee lad should get his hair dyed maroon though as if he sticks to the blue he'll get called Cowden heid! 

It (probably) was two points dropped by the Warriors today so I'm happy with a draw.

Interesting comment from Swift about Corbett making right back his position. Maybe some truth in the rumours about Lyon.

We should have won despite playing some industrial stuff. But pass it to O’Reilly and things will happen. Both their goals came from individual mistakes. Same as last week.

When will Thomson return?

Two points thrown away. Thought the obvious choice was to move Corbett over and bring on Coll. Perhaps he thought the injury looked bad and wanted to give Tapping game time but in any case his mistake was costly.  Also felt that an on-form striker would have buried at least one of the chances Orr missed. Skipper had a couple of good chances before he scored as well.

At the moment if you take Wedderburn and O'Reilly out of our team we will struggle badly.

Still having mixed feelings about Swift.

Watched most of the game on my phone so not an ideal feel for what's going on but we seemed to batter them for the majority of the game (particularly second half) so a real sucker punch at the end that feels like a defeat.

Can't really legislate for an error like that. These things happen unfortunately but Tapping seemed solid apart from that and he may be needed in future games depending how bad Jamiesons injury is. Corbett was brilliant at right back for what it's worth.

Anderson offers nothing and that position next to Nat has been a problem all season with no one particularly impressing. Maybe Miller when he's fit can go back there if Corbett can continue that level of performance from right back.

Still only 3 points off the play offs so let's look at the positives. I said at the time if we can be there or thereabouts for when Thommo returns we will kick on and finish top four and I still believe that. With a fully fit squad I feel we have another run in us hopefully starting at Elgin next week.

Edited by Neilly

15 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

Two points thrown away. Thought the obvious choice was to move Corbett over and bring on Coll. Perhaps he thought the injury looked bad and wanted to give Tapping game time but in any case his mistake was costly.  Also felt that an on-form striker would have buried at least one of the chances Orr missed. Skipper had a couple of good chances before he scored as well.

At the moment if you take Wedderburn and O'Reilly out of our team we will struggle badly.

Still having mixed feelings about Swift.

I'm the same, I've gone from feelings of quiet excitement, to mistrust, to wanting him punted, to "hey, he might actually be alright and we'll get the top four!", to "let's empty half the team and go again next season". Football - it's a funny old game!

I've said it before but for all the talk of us having a big, deep squad where everyone is competing for a game, when you go beyond the starting XI the quality drops off massively. For instance, Jordan Tapping has made two league appearances for us this season and has been directly responsible for the concession of two goals, while the BSC Glasgow mob, Ross Lyon aside, are just miles away from this level.

I'm pleased to hear Adam Corbett did well at right-back. I really like him and I want him to do well for us. There's definitely a good player in there and I hope he can benefit from a run of games. I think his inclusion on the right says less about Ross Lyon's future and more about the fact that Stephen Swift has signed poorly at left-back. Remember Jamie Mills?! Ay caramba!

We had a decent 15 minute spell in the first half & were certainly the better team in the second so probably did deserve the win but at HT a point wouldn't have sounded too bad.

O'Reilly really is superb, shame he missed that sitter at the end but we only got the two goals through is guile so can be forgiven.

Am not going to be too harsh on Tapping, barely played and coming on 60 mins in at CB is difficult, I was more concerned at why we were so gung ho to allow that situation to occur. Bonkers at that stage in the game when leading.

Thommo said to me last week he is a bit away & it really is an issue. Orr such a disappointment. Don't know what's left budget wise but if could get someone in Jan up top would be my primary target.

Watched most of the game on my phone so not an ideal feel for what's going on but we seemed to batter them for the majority of the game (particularly second half) so a real sucker punch at the end that feels like a defeat.
Can't really legislate for an error like that. These things happen unfortunately but Tapping seemed solid apart from that and he may be needed in future games depending how bad Jamiesons injury is. Corbett was brilliant at right back for what it's worth.
Anderson offers nothing and that position next to Nat has been a problem all season with no one particularly impressing. Maybe Miller when he's fit can go back there if Corbett can continue that level of performance from right back.
Still only 3 points off the play offs so let's look at the positives. I said at the time if we can be there or thereabouts for when Thommo returns we will kick on and finish top four and I still believe that. With a fully fit squad I feel we have another run in us hopefully starting at Elgin next week.

I think Miller is the obvious/only solution to the central midfield issue, so Corbett coming in and doing well would free Miller up.

We need Thomson back pronto, or a get new striker in. Surely we can shift some out in January. If O’Reilly was only on a contract to January presumably he wasn’t the only one?

1 hour ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

I think Miller is the obvious/only solution to the central midfield issue, so Corbett coming in and doing well would free Miller up.

We need Thomson back pronto, or a get new striker in. Surely we can shift some out in January. If O’Reilly was only on a contract to January presumably he wasn’t the only one?

O'Reilly's contract ran til the end of the season. We just extended it by a year.

I thought Mikey Miller was alright in his few games in central midfield but he looked a lot better when he was moved to right-back. We've used so many players in the middle of the park this season and the only one who's starred consistently has been Nat Wedderburn (and even then, it took him a few weeks to get up to speed). It's another area we've signed poorly in and I don't think we've found a suitable partner for the big man. Ross Forbes (given a two-year contract, no less!) is too slow, James Lyon is far too inconsistent, and Mikey Anderson and Declan Hughes are simply not good enough.

We need a Kieran Millar-type to complement Wedderburn, someone who's athletic, can get around the park, win his tackles and give the ball to the better players. I'd argue it's as much as a priority as bringing in a new forward next month.