Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

We have signed a teenage defender called Jon Craig from Kilmarnock.

Apparently he can play at centre-back and left-back (where I imagine we'll stick him given the paucity of good options). He played in the second half of Killie's friendly against Linfield in pre-season and he scored at the weekend for their under-18s side.

53 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We have signed a teenage defender called Jon Craig from Kilmarnock.

Apparently he can play at centre-back and left-back (where I imagine we'll stick him given the paucity of good options). He played in the second half of Killie's friendly against Linfield in pre-season and he scored at the weekend for their under-18s side.

He's a good un with bags of potential  according to his youth coaches and Tommy Wright, who rated him highly enough to draft into the 1st team squad.

He was on the bench for all our League Cup matches also, thou didn't quite manage any minutes on the park  .... take care of him and good luck for the season ahead.

I think you could well be right. Here's the current team:

GOALKEEPERS

• Ryan Marshall (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Graeme Smith
  • Davie Wilson (signed from Clyde)

DEFENDERS

• BJ Coll (signed from Forfar Athletic)
  • Adam Corbett
  • Jon Craig (signed from Kilmarnock - on loan)
  • Sean Crighton (signed from Airdrieonians)
  • Nicky Jamieson (signed from Alloa Athletic - on loan)
  • Ross Lyon (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Jamie Mills (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Craig Reid (signed from Kelty Hearts)
  • Jordan Tapping (signed from East Stirlingshire)

MIDFIELDERS

• Michael Anderson (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Adam Brown (signed from Alloa Athletic)
  • Ross Forbes (signed from Dumbarton)
  • Declan Hughes (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • James Lyon (signed from Partick Thistle - on loan)
  • Euan O'Reilly (signed from Airdrieonians)
  • Nat Wedderburn (signed from Dumbarton)

FORWARDS

• Darren "Daz" Christie (signed from Pollok)
  • Cammy Graham
  • Thomas Orr (signed from Stranraer)
  • Ryan Tierney (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Robert Thomson (signed from Alloa Athletic)

OUT ON LOAN

• Josh Grigor (Syngenta)

I'm not sure why Jon Craig was brought in given how well we're stocked in central defence and at left-back (unless we have players missing through injury?) However, if everyone's fit and available, then we probably have at least two players too many and there could well be movement before the end of the month.

If that is the case then I'd imagine Adam Corbett is perhaps the likeliest candidate to move on.

The early season buzz is slowly fading for some reason.

Home to cowden is pretty big as do not want to be going into Kelty game still not won a game.

Pretty poor tonight but biggest worry was Edinburgh were pretty rubbish and still contrived to lose.

Nicky Jamieson howler and Marshall just opening his legs to make it very easy for the striker, surely not teaching that technique at celtic u19s.

Bizarre penalty decision but I hate those pens. Basically making it a 50/50 if GK goes right way. Foot through it so even if does the pace can beat him.

Meh evening all round.

On 13/08/2021 at 23:37, Vimto90 said:

The early season buzz is slowly fading for some reason.

Home to cowden is pretty big as do not want to be going into Kelty game still not won a game.

Pretty poor tonight but biggest worry was Edinburgh were pretty rubbish and still contrived to lose.

Nicky Jamieson howler and Marshall just opening his legs to make it very easy for the striker, surely not teaching that technique at celtic u19s.

Bizarre penalty decision but I hate those pens. Basically making it a 50/50 if GK goes right way. Foot through it so even if does the pace can beat him.

Meh evening all round.

Another meh Day today and I don't really fancy you against Kelty:jerry

I don't think Jamie Mills is a very good player, and I think the West of Scotland Conference is probably a level well above his capabilities, but I'm struggling to understand the thinking behind this. Why was he signed, fielded in our first five competitive matches, dropped, and then punted out on loan? Something must have happened behind the scenes for this to happen so suddenly.

Fallen to 3rd in pecking order behind Coll and Killie loanee - unlikely to play

We got a big squad  but not big number of points - can we put 2 or 3 out on loan and get a couple in? Are there people out there or is it too late? Can we pull a Simon Mensing/Willis Furtado type rabbit out of the hat? Right now I’d settle for international recording artist Nelly Furtado

Edited by true fan

1 hour ago, Moonglum25 said:

First port of call should be to see what Goalkeepers are available.  I also presume that the deal with Hibs is either dead or that Swift has no intention of using it?

My understanding is the players available to us this season courtesy of the strategic partnership aren't good enough or ready to be playing SPFL football. The two clubs are in the process of identifying the players to join us next season. (For context, Callum Yeats and Jayden Fairley had been earmarked to join us the season prior to the strategic partnership being agreed.) While this is handy over the medium and longer term, it's not great for the here and now.

I tentatively agree with you that we should be looking to improve our pool of goalkeepers (and maybe sign another central midfielder and someone to play on the left wing) but it surely isn't viable to recruit a brand new squad of players, realise some of them are crap a couple of weeks into the season, and then chuck money at bringing in replacements. The squad is already huge and we'd have to punt players if we want anyone coming in.

6 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

It turns out there actually is a big step up in quality between the SPFL and the Lowland League - who knew!

It is a big step up. Frustrates the life out of me when i talk to certain people who follow juniors/eos and even lowland league when they come along and say he wouldnt get a game in the these leagues compared to x y or z. Trust me they would i go and watch quite a few EOS games and i could genuinely on one hand pick players a think oh he could do a job for us. Most decent players have dropped down as they will get more cash or cant be arsed with travelling long trips for games or training.

Most of the standard in lowland league is rotten and yes some teams on their day will get a good result against in one off ties e.g cup games.

14 minutes ago, NELLY said:

It is a big step up. Frustrates the life out of me when i talk to certain people who follow juniors/eos and even lowland league when they come along and say he wouldnt get a game in the these leagues compared to x y or z. Trust me they would i go and watch quite a few EOS games and i could genuinely on one hand pick players a think oh he could do a job for us. Most decent players have dropped down as they will get more cash or cant be arsed with travelling long trips for games or training.

Most of the standard in lowland league is rotten and yes some teams on their day will get a good result against in one off ties e.g cup games.

I agree 100 per cent with this. Two years ago, when Stenhousemuir embarrassed themselves in the Scottish Cup at Penicuik Athletic, punters were keen to remark that there was no real difference between the SPFL and non-league football, but I'm sure if that Penicuik team suddenly found itself in League 2, they would have been massacred on a weekly basis.

One swallow does not a summer make!

The Lowland League is comprised of 4 or 5 reasonable teams and the rest are total dross.
It's far too easy to look good in a majority of games when playing for one of the better teams.
Which was one of my pessimistic points when we were drafting in all the BSC lads & the managers credentials. Any even half decent squad was guaranteed top 6/8 due to poor standard out with that.

This season especially there is no easy game in this league so will be a wake up for manager & the players used to LL.