Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

When Is there going to be an update on when we can attend games? I understand we play Syngenta on Thursday and Benburb away on Saturday and the silence is deafening.

If we can't attend these games what is the actual explanation for it? 

Newtongrange Star v Kelty tonight had a decent wee crowd amongst many other friendlies I've noted in the last week or so.

Benburb have tweeted that away fans will be allowed for that one...as for the Ochilview games, it's getting very bizarre. If there's a reason they don't want people coming along just yet it would be nice to hear what it is. Just comes across as thinking of the fans second the way it's being done currently

2 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

How was he on loan for you last season? 

I just posted this in your thread in the League 1 forum:

Callum Yeats was on loan at Stenhousemuir last season as part of our strategic partnership with Hibernian and was one of our better players. It was pretty clear after a couple of games he was too good for League 2 and he would have played in every match had it not been for a mid-season injury.

I think this could be a smashing piece of business for Queen's Park - he's tremendously hard-working, can bound up and down the left flank all day and his delivery is generally good. Everyone I've met who's worked with Yeats talks highly of him, his disposition and his willingness to improve and better himself.

He's not the most statuesque of players and he could do with bulking up a bit but he's the kind of guy fans will really take to. I hope he does you a good turn.

8-0 win v Syngenta.

Was just good to see football back at Ochilview really, can't take too much from that as they are one of the worst teams I have ever seen us play.

Forbes showed how classy he is. Will get us a right good haul of goals/assists.

Was nice to see thommo get a couple & you did see his confidence shoot up.

Commentators were very good :)

Aye, that was a stroll in the park from the first kick of the ball to the final whistle. It's hard to tell just how good Stenhousemuir were given the paucity of the opposition but you can only beat what's in front of you and on that basis, the Warriors looked very good.

Tam Orr brings something different to the frontline and seems to combine the hold-up play of Mark McGuigan with the ranginess and mobility of Tam Muir. He took both his goals well and showed some great touches at points. Some of Ross Forbes' pass were gorgeous. Big Bobby Thomson looked hot when he came on and his second goal was wonderful - a great raking pass from Nat Wedderburn and a supreme finish into the side of the net. It was also great to see Cammy Graham playing well and scoring. I hope he has a great season.

Stephen Swift's 4-3-3 formation looked good, especially in the first half, with a back four, Declan Hughes dropping deep, Orr playing as a number 9, and everything else fluid and rotating around it. The only slight concern was some of the defending at points, with Syngenta able to breach the backline on one occasion, but that's probably nitpicking.

Also, we signed Craig Reid this evening. Reid's been about a bit, latterly with Kelty Hearts. He can play in central defence and at right-back, where he featured for 45 minutes this evening.

Here's our squad for the season ahead so far:

GOALKEEPERS

• Ryan Marshall (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Graeme Smith

DEFENDERS

• BJ Coll (signed from Forfar Athletic)
  • Adam Corbett
  • Sean Crighton (signed from Airdrieonians
  • Ross Lyon (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Jamie Mills (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Craig Reid (signed from Kelty Hearts)
  • Jordan Tapping (signed from East Stirlingshire)

MIDFIELDERS

• Michael Anderson (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Adam Brown (signed from Alloa Athletic)
  • Ross Forbes (signed from Dumbarton)
  • Declan Hughes (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Euan O'Reilly (signed from Airdrieonians)
  • Nat Wedderburn (signed from Dumbarton)

FORWARDS

• Darren "Daz" Christie (signed from Pollok)
  • Cammy Graham
  • Thomas Orr (signed from Stranraer)
  • Robert Thomson (signed from Alloa Athletic)

OUT ON LOAN

• Josh Grigor (Syngenta)

He said in Falkirk herald interview that he would probably go with just 1 or 2 loanees - more chance of developing them than having larger number who end up not playing. Looking at the squad I’m wondering whether striker maybe option, or goalkeeper (currently only got 1 fit keeper although we played tribalism keeper last night). If we will be playing 4-4-3 we are well placed with 7 defenders and 6 midfielders.

if we only take 1 or 2 on loan is it really a ‘fancy’ strategic partnership?  Anyway we have done well getting the bulk of a squad together in good time to gel. Some teams got very few signed

35 minutes ago, true fan said:

He said in Falkirk herald interview that he would probably go with just 1 or 2 loanees - more chance of developing them than having larger number who end up not playing. Looking at the squad I’m wondering whether striker maybe option, or goalkeeper (currently only got 1 fit keeper although we played tribalism keeper last night). If we will be playing 4-4-3 we are well placed with 7 defenders and 6 midfielders.

if we only take 1 or 2 on loan is it really a ‘fancy’ strategic partnership?  Anyway we have done well getting the bulk of a squad together in good time to gel. Some teams got very few signed

Must be a good joke to be made here but I can't think of any.

Fancy you to do really well this season if you're going to be playing with 12 each match

5 hours ago, C. Muir said:

Watched the first 10-15 mins of this and recognised your trialist goalkeeper as David Wilson who was with us last season. 

What did you make of him? I can't imagine he would played much (at all?) ahead of David Mitchell.

43 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

What did you make of him? I can't imagine he would played much (at all?) ahead of David Mitchell.

BSC Glasgow fans will have seen him more than me as he had a loan spell there so your new gaffer will have seen plenty of him too. He played for us a few times towards the end of the season when Mitchell was absent. Perhaps at fault for one goal at Forfar away but other than that he looked very assured for a young man. Not the tallest keeper in the world but still quite commanding and was impressed with his distribution too. Would've been more than happy to keep him on as backup this year but he wanted to seek first team opportunities. Noticed you already have 2 keepers so if he signs I wonder if it's with the promise of being first choice?

Edited by C. Muir

16 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Also, we signed Craig Reid this evening. Reid's been about a bit, latterly with Kelty Hearts. He can play in central defence and at right-back, where he featured for 45 minutes this evening.

Here's our squad for the season ahead so far:

GOALKEEPERS

• Ryan Marshall (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Graeme Smith

DEFENDERS

• BJ Coll (signed from Forfar Athletic)
  • Adam Corbett
  • Sean Crighton (signed from Airdrieonians
  • Ross Lyon (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Jamie Mills (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Craig Reid (signed from Kelty Hearts)
  • Jordan Tapping (signed from East Stirlingshire)

MIDFIELDERS

• Michael Anderson (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Adam Brown (signed from Alloa Athletic)
  • Ross Forbes (signed from Dumbarton)
  • Declan Hughes (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Euan O'Reilly (signed from Airdrieonians)
  • Nat Wedderburn (signed from Dumbarton)

FORWARDS

• Darren "Daz" Christie (signed from Pollok)
  • Cammy Graham
  • Thomas Orr (signed from Stranraer)
  • Robert Thomson (signed from Alloa Athletic)

OUT ON LOAN

• Josh Grigor (Syngenta)

Reid will do a job but maybe as a back up now.  Had epxetced him to land at another LL team where he would play every week.

Forgot to say yesterday was good to see the subs getting a proper warm up at HT rather than just take shots into a GK. I hope that is something we do going forward, for professionalism if nothing else.

I always remember Paul Hartley had his Alloa subs doing rigorous warm ups at ochilview & it just looks good & does give off the professional vibe which can only be a good thing. Of course there will also be the physical benefits, goes without saying.