Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Just now, Moonball said:

Where are you getting this from? Even going on the stats from Soccerbase (which doesn't chart the Lowland League) he's played all five of their Scottish Cup games in 2019/20.

Googled it

Ryan Marshall

Football player

Born: 24 September 1990 (age 30 years)
Height: 1.85 m
Weight: 73 kg
Stats
Year
Matches
Goals
Assists

2019-20

2018-19

2 minutes ago, Elric said:

Googled it

Ryan Marshall

Football player

Stats
Year
Matches
Goals
Assists

2019-20

2018-19

Those stats are for the Challenge Cup??

Elric has had an absolute nightmare here. If you are going to post stats at least make them factual.

Marshall was BSC's regular first choice keeper. Nothing really much more needs said on the matter.

Two games in the last two years though.....

tenor.gif

6 minutes ago, Elric said:

Googled it

Ryan Marshall

Football player

Stats
Year
Matches
Goals
Assists

2019-20

2018-19

Websites like Soccerbase and Transfermarkt are notoriously unreliable the further down the food chain you go and practically non-existent when you go beyond the SPFL. I wouldn't trust them in this instance.

8 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

BJ Coll has joined the club from Forfar Athletic.

I don't think he got much of a positive write-up from Forfar fans but who knows, he could be a useful player for the Warriors.

He was young when he played for Queen's, but he was part of our worst ever team in 2013/14.

Completely agree with Neilly, we'd have been absolutely rawdogged in the LL anytime over the last 3 or 4 seasons. Anyone who still thinks "ex-Swansea " profile signings are going to get us out of this division are at it.

Bring on the Swift Era! 

5 hours ago, Elric said:

My mistake for taking internet as fact at that point - apologies to all thought he had only played in the Challenge Cup

BSC pulling a Chelsea and letting the sub goalie take the Challenge Cup games....🤣🤣🤣....Mon to f**k! 

In an unusual move, BSC Glasgow are signing players from Stenhousemuir!

Jack Hodge has joined the Alloa-based club:

As I've said a number of times over the past week, I thought he was one of the player we  should have signed up for next season. Hodge definitely had something about him and could have developed into a very handy player for the Warriors.

I hope he does BSC a good turn.

Shamelessly nicked pictures from the "New Kits" thread in one of the other forums...RJM/Puma kits for Clyde announced. Perhaps the template we can expect? Stenhousemuir also tweeted previously that they "may need fans opinion on something", so I'm guessing we will also have various options for away shirt? (Clyde are doing a fan vote on that one)

EE244FE5-DBA8-4D75-965D-DE2D0B30547F.thumb.png.e6dfe9a5832cbee2d1c741125ffdceae.png

CE41988B-F514-42C3-9129-4EDAAE5A050F.thumb.jpeg.55488b372483fed5980214ddf84324b8.jpeg

Edited by Christophe

On 22/05/2021 at 17:58, Moonglum25 said:

Manager must know what he is doing and will have explained his signing philosophy and plans in depth at his interview.  They obviously feel he is the right candidate although we do not know how many and who were interviewed.  As Neilly says we will know better after the first quarter. I think the worry comes from the fact that we are not signing the usual released dross that we think will do a job for us and seldom do. 

Just hope we are in the ground to enjoy it.

This annoys me aswell. WE have the same problem this season at Camelon because we've signed a few players from Bathgate. Just because players came from a lower division doesn't mean they aren't going to be good enough. Sometimes players just need a chance. We had a good squad for last few seasons and people forgot that they were plucked from Stirling albion under 20s, Whitburn. People thought we should be signing established rubbish from Lithgae and Bo'ness.

Maybe Stenny need to bring in guys with something to prove that they need to step up to the next level than players just going through the motions

On 23/05/2021 at 00:08, Christophe said:

Completely agree with Neilly, we'd have been absolutely rawdogged in the LL anytime over the last 3 or 4 seasons. Anyone who still thinks "ex-Swansea " profile signings are going to get us out of this division are at it.

Bring on the Swift Era! 

Was about to ask what the thoughts are on Blair given we've been linked - this might answer my question?

23 minutes ago, leomessi1984 said:

Was about to ask what the thoughts are on Blair given we've been linked - this might answer my question?

Ryan Blair is probably the best long-range passer of the ball I've ever seen at Stenhousemuir. When he opens up his left foot, it's like a pitching wedge and he's capable of dropping gorgeous 60-yard balls into channels to help push the team up the park. Towards the end of last season, he was playing like a "quarterback", dropping between the centre-halves and hitting booming balls to the frontline. His whole range of passing, come to think of it, is very good and he's capable to dictating play from the centre circle.

Conversely, if you press him with even the vaguest hint of force, he'll crumple and let you run over the top of him. Too often last season, teams who were faster and more aggressive were able to overwhelm us because of Blair's unwillingness to do the dirty stuff. He doesn't tend to get stuck in and it's always a surprise when he goes into a challenge to win the ball. His set-pieces are very poor. He doesn't have much of a goal threat. He's the kind of player that fans don't really take to because of his body language and languid style of play. He could be a useful player if you're willing to field an energetic screening midfielder next to him but I don't think he's good enough to warrant that kind of indulgence.

I think the "former Swansea City player" tag will always open doors for him in Scotland, much like how Ross Perry made a career out of being a "former Rangers ace".

56 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Ryan Blair is probably the best long-range passer of the ball I've ever seen at Stenhousemuir. When he opens up his left foot, it's like a pitching wedge and he's capable of dropping gorgeous 60-yard balls into channels to help push the team up the park. Towards the end of last season, he was playing like a "quarterback", dropping between the centre-halves and hitting booming balls to the frontline. His whole range of passing, come to think of it, is very good and he's capable to dictating play from the centre circle.

Conversely, if you press him with even the vaguest hint of force, he'll crumple and let you run over the top of him. Too often last season, teams who were faster and more aggressive were able to overwhelm us because of Blair's unwillingness to do the dirty stuff. He doesn't tend to get stuck in and it's always a surprise when he goes into a challenge to win the ball. His set-pieces are very poor. He doesn't have much of a goal threat. He's the kind of player that fans don't really take to because of his body language and languid style of play. He could be a useful player if you're willing to field an energetic screening midfielder next to him but I don't think he's good enough to warrant that kind of indulgence.

I think the "former Swansea City player" tag will always open doors for him in Scotland, much like how Ross Perry made a career out of being a "former Rangers ace".

Thanks sir! We sort of have that in Tidser already so not sure he's what we need from your summary. We need a ball buster in midfield for me.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Thought you were describing Jim Baxter. He did OK with those attributes.

I'm not sure if this is a cast-iron guarantee or absolute toot but, if the rumour mill is to be believed, Stenhousemuir will shortly be bringing in centre-backs Ryan McGeever and Sean Crighton. McGeever was with Dumbarton last season while Crighton captained Airdrieonians. Two wholehearted meat-and-potatoes defenders who are as big as HGVs and will make sure the ball is as far away from the goal as possible.

I think they would be good signings and add some much-needed steel to our defence but I think I'm being hoodwinked and they'll both end up at Darvel.

6 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm not sure if this is a cast-iron guarantee or absolute toot but, if the rumour mill is to be believed, Stenhousemuir will shortly be bringing in centre-backs Ryan McGeever and Sean Crighton. McGeever was with Dumbarton last season while Crighton captained Airdrieonians. Two wholehearted meat-and-potatoes defenders who are as big as HGVs and will make sure the ball is as far away from the goal as possible.

I think they would be good signings and add some much-needed steel to our defence but I think I'm being hoodwinked and they'll both end up at Darvel.

Ross Forbes aswell 

Hi all. Will be spending plenty more time at Ochilview for the foreseeable future since Malky Mackay is being appointed County manager.

I have been so incredibly impressed by Stenny's pandemic community efforts (I live in Kinnaird) and I want to associate myself with a club with those values instead. See you all at Ochilview when fans are back.