Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Will be interesting to see who the club goes for or if indeed they have someone lined up already.  With 6 games to go we will need someone to have accessed the squad and deciding on who is going and who is staying.  Irons this time round has been a major disappointment. The squad we have has not performed as they should have. I cannot understand how he preferred Spence to McGuigan as an example.

So do we bring in tried and tested or someone brand new to managing or a player manager?  Anyone fancy Dick Campbell, 5 promotions with 4 clubs from the 7 he has managed, someone who knows the game at this level. Would he move to us?

Edited by Moonglum25

12 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

Will be interesting to see who the club goes for or if indeed they have someone lined up already.  With 6 games to go we will need someone to have accessed the squad and deciding on who is going and who is staying.  Irons this time round has been a major disappointment. The squad we have has not performed as they should have. I cannot understand how he preferred Spence to McGuigan as an example.

So do we bring in tried and tested or someone brand new to managing or a player manager?  Anyone fancy Dick Campbell, 5 promotions with 4 clubs from the 7 he has managed, someone who knows the game at this level. Would he move to us?

Dream on😂

He would absolutely not move to us. I admire the ambition but forget that one off the bat. 

I mentioned him before and I'll mention it again but Steven Swift is the one that sticks out to me. Hungry young manager who deserves a crack at senior football after his job at BSC. I believe he's just signed a new contract there though so may be a little difficult that one.

Kevin Harper is another one off the top of my head I wouldn't mind. 

Guys like Canning, Kettlewell, Mark Kerr out of work but I'd imagine they see their stock a lot bigger than us but who knows in these times?

Oh and best of luck to DI. He's dug us out of a few holes over the years and at times his teams were a joy to watch. Less so in this spell but a real class guy who goes with everyone's best wishes.

Guest Midnight Express
4 hours ago, Neilly said:

He would absolutely not move to us. I admire the ambition but forget that one off the bat. 

I mentioned him before and I'll mention it again but Steven Swift is the one that sticks out to me. Hungry young manager who deserves a crack at senior football after his job at BSC. I believe he's just signed a new contract there though so may be a little difficult that one.

Kevin Harper is another one off the top of my head I wouldn't mind. 

Guys like Canning, Kettlewell, Mark Kerr out of work but I'd imagine they see their stock a lot bigger than us but who knows in these times?

Good shout on Stephen Swift 👍

Is Mick McArdle worth a shout as well? Seem to recall his name came up before a few years back and he may be available after a stint at Ayr Utd ended recently. 

Since there's no match thread, I can't imagine many people were tuning into tonight's match against Annan Athletic but what a fucking miserable way for Davie Irons to finish up his time with the club. An embarrassing result and a dreadful performance, judging by the stuff I've read on social media.

8 hours ago, groundhopper2000 said:

Easy to see why Stenny got pumped. Annan players wearing real men’s black boots while the Stenny poseur wears his white boots and kids on he is Messi.

Bad result for Stenhousemuir last night.
Strange decision by your board to sack Davie Irons on Saturday. Then ask him to manage the team last night.
During halftime Davie Irons never even went in with the team to give a team talk.

It's probably worth discussing who you'd want to keep for next season and who you'd want to release.

Someone might need to correct me but I think the only players signed up for next season are Callum Tapping, David Hopkirk, Graeme Smith and Adam Corbett, while Alan Docherty will join on a permanent basis from Camelon Juniors.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

Since its been such a crazy 2 seasons there needs to be a few preliminary considerations for me.

This year we have had our biggest ever squad - allowing for covid cases or self isolation -  thankfully it wasn't a big issue in the end.

1. Will we have to do this again or can we 'wing it' a bit next time?

2. How big an issue was guys not getting a game and being fed up and we need to avoid that by having smaller squad -I suppose a few of them were kids so maybe their expectations not so high?

3. Did we have to cut down on quality - for financial reasons - to allow us to increase the numbers in the squad; or is the core of this squad pretty much what we would have had anyway?

4. New manager will want new faces

5. This new link with Hibs - will it mean more loans, or longer term loans on not much difference? Yeats was good. If smith comes back in goals (???) we won't need loanee keeper - or not 1st choice one anyway. Would be good to get loanee goal machine or player a bit like mcmullan - we know loans are always a 'crap shoot'

Although we performed poorly we are not bad on paper (game not played on paper I know) and I would keep quite a few and hope for 2 or 3 top signings/loans to improve us. Keep, if poss:

Mcguigan, Muir, Docherty

Tapping, Hodge, Hopkirk (if he's still up for it)

Tiffoney, Corbett, Little

Smith if fit

Quite possibly keep but a little bit less certain

Biabi, Blair, young Brown got good reviews before injury, Halleran (sounds like he's fed up but irons has gone (eh midnight express?))

Edited by true fan

Guest Midnight Express
3 hours ago, true fan said:

Midnight express has told us that 1 or 2 of the players were disgruntled - maybe he/she can tell us about the general mood within the camp. Were most of the players behind DI or not? Academic now of course.

Just general dressing room scuttlebutt with regards to training and game time which happens in every dressing room, some players happy and others less so. 

As you say academic now and hopefully better days ahead. 

Guest Midnight Express
1 hour ago, true fan said:

Since its been such a crazy 2 seasons there needs to be a few preliminary considerations for me.

This year we have had our biggest ever squad - allowing for covid cases or self isolation -  thankfully it wasn't a big issue in the end.

1. Will we have to do this again or can we 'wing it' a bit next time?

2. How big an issue was guys not getting a game and being fed up and we need to avoid that by having smaller squad -I suppose a few of them were kids so maybe their expectations not so high?

3. Did we have to cut down on quality - for financial reasons - to allow us to increase the numbers in the squad; or is the core of this squad pretty much what we would have had anyway?

4. New manager will want new faces

5. This new link with Hibs - will it mean more loans, or longer term loans on not much difference? Yeats was good. If smith comes back in goals (???) we won't need loanee keeper - or not 1st choice one anyway. Would be good to get loanee goal machine or player a bit like mcmullan - we know loans are always a 'crap shoot'

Although we performed poorly we are not bad on paper (game not played on paper I know) and I would keep quite a few and hope for 2 or 3 top signings/loans to improve us. Keep, if poss:

Mcguigan, Muir, Docherty

Tapping, Hodge, Hopkirk (if he's still up for it)

Tiffoney, Corbett, Little

Smith if fit

Quite possibly keep but a little bit less certain

Biabi, Blair, young Brown got good reviews before injury, Halleran (sounds like he's fed up but irons has gone (eh midnight express?))

No idea on Hallerans position, I was made aware he was cold shouldered earlier in the season and only mentioned it when posters on here queried if his lack of opportunities was injury related.