Jump to content

Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2022/23 Thread


Recommended Posts

From next Saturday (including that day) it’s 4 games in 8 days - ouch
how do we approach this? Chuck the cup - unlikely to beat killie?
do we pick 1 of the midweek games and play a B team and pick our best 11 in the other games?
or do we mix and match - 7 or 8 of our top players and 3 or 4 others each game
surely we can’t play top 11, 4 times in 8 days - will be wrecks after that
what we thinking here?

It’s a farce is what we’re thinking. Still haven’t heard any rational explanation for the extra 4 games.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest The Phoenix
2 hours ago, beaver1 said:


It’s a farce is what we’re thinking. Still haven’t heard any rational explanation for the extra 4 games.

Dam(n) it Beaver, it's not rocket science... 

8 votes required to effect change from a 27 game programme

27 impossible

Insufficient support for Null & Void

Insufficient support for 18

Compromise required... outcome 22. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, beaver1 said:

So the choice was 0 games or 18. They compromised on 22. As I say, I’ve still to hear a rational explanation.

There is a difference between a choice and a compromise and as well as 0 and 18, 27 the agreed number of games was a further factor - it isn’t really difficult to understand with a little bit of thought

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I understand how we got to this, but my point is, which nobody has answered, is who thought 22 was a good idea and why? Given a choice of 0 games, 18 games or 27 games, who thought 22 was the best answer and WHY?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In voting is it 8 out of 10 in league 1 and separately 8/10 in league 2 - if either league can’t get 8 the vote’s a bogey, or is it combined 16/20 to carry a motion? That could make a big difference - to an extent league 2 looking down at trapdoor, league 1 looking up at getting to the championship (thinking about teams mid table in respective leagues)

Presumably 27 games held to be impossible. Having moaned (with justification) that league was shut down in disrespectful manner, nobody would want null and void because rest of Scottish football would point and say “you made big song and dance about being shut down and now you got a chance to play you don’t want to”? Would Brechin have wanted null and void on the basis that there would be no playoffs or would they be fearing a demand for play offs? Anyway that’s academic - we are playing

i’m guessing - brechin against 22 games. Wanted more games to turn things round

i’m wondering - Albion and Cowdenbeath against 22 for similar reasons (but maybe slight gamble from their points of view because if these teams stayed a bit “ropey” the larger number of games gives Brechin the chance to overtake them) - call that OPTION 1 - seems most likely

OPTION 2 - somebody in 5th or 6th wanted to get into play offs and thought more games improved their chances

OPTION 3 - is there financial aspect? Sponsorship? Surely not, no gate money and they won’t be making much from streaming 

OPTION 4 - there was rumblings that championship clubs would try to refuse playoffs between them and league1 on the basis that 18 games wasn’t enough to represent a proper season - any truth in that - I’m thinking we would have heard?

OPTION 5 - the SPFL suggested 18 and league 2 chairmen just wanted to make a point - a 22 fingered gesture of defiance 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

So I understand how we got to this, but my point is, which nobody has answered, is who thought 22 was a good idea and why? Given a choice of 0 games, 18 games or 27 games, who thought 22 was the best answer and WHY?

0 wasn’t acceptable, 27 wasn’t possible, 18 was 2 quarter seasons stuck together - the nearest you could get to a proper season which gives a fairer chance to all clubs was 22.  A season is supposed to be a marathon not a sprint - plus allow for ups and downs over a period.  It might not be a marathon now but more a 10,000 metres

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, true fan said:

In voting is it 8 out of 10 in league 1 and separately 8/10 in league 2 - if either league can’t get 8 the vote’s a bogey, or is it combined 16/20 to carry a motion? That could make a big difference - to an extent league 2 looking down at trapdoor, league 1 looking up at getting to the championship (thinking about teams mid table in respective leagues)

Presumably 27 games held to be impossible. Having moaned (with justification) that league was shut down in disrespectful manner, nobody would want null and void because rest of Scottish football would point and say “you made big song and dance about being shut down and now you got a chance to play you don’t want to”? Would Brechin have wanted null and void on the basis that there would be no playoffs or would they be fearing a demand for play offs? Anyway that’s academic - we are playing

i’m guessing - brechin against 22 games. Wanted more games to turn things round

i’m wondering - Albion and Cowdenbeath against 22 for similar reasons (but maybe slight gamble from their points of view because if these teams stayed a bit “ropey” the larger number of games gives Brechin the chance to overtake them) - call that OPTION 1 - seems most likely

OPTION 2 - somebody in 5th or 6th wanted to get into play offs and thought more games improved their chances

OPTION 3 - is there financial aspect? Sponsorship? Surely not, no gate money and they won’t be making much from streaming 

OPTION 4 - there was rumblings that championship clubs would try to refuse playoffs between them and league1 on the basis that 18 games wasn’t enough to represent a proper season - any truth in that - I’m thinking we would have heard?

OPTION 5 - the SPFL suggested 18 and league 2 chairmen just wanted to make a point - a 22 fingered gesture of defiance 

 

 

It’s 8 out of 10 per league - each could have made a different decision.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Live streaming for the game v Stenhousemuir on 6th April 2021 is now available:

Stirling Albion v Stenhousemuir

Season ticket holders will have received a code for access or discounted access.

Non season ticket holders - £10 for the stream

The matchday programme is the one we printed for early January, which possibly makes this a collectors item in future (🤷‍♂️)

Stirling Albion v Stenhousemuir Match Programme

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Binos Info said:

Live streaming for the game v Stenhousemuir on 6th April 2021 is now available:

Stirling Albion v Stenhousemuir

Season ticket holders will have received a code for access or discounted access.

Non season ticket holders - £10 for the stream

The matchday programme is the one we printed for early January, which possibly makes this a collectors item in future (🤷‍♂️)

Stirling Albion v Stenhousemuir Match Programme

30th March*

I'm sure everyone who is going to stream it will be aware when the game is but just incase the odd straggler from PnB is skimming through these pages.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

I was surprised to hear Davie Irons having a real go at upcoming fixture schedule when his Chairman was a leading light in getting 22 games season going.

 

Why's that? Maybe our chairman advocated one outcome to conclude the season and the manager another?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greig Spence has signed for East Fife on loan until the end of the season.

I'm not surprised to see him move on. Spence has been a poor piece of business overall and although his goals were always important (he scored twice against Elgin City last term and got another brace against Edinburgh City this season), I thought he contributed little to the team and Mark McGuigan and Tam Muir offer much more in attack. A lot of thick marks yelped: "what a signing!" when we recruited him from Arbroath without realising he'd gone for almost two years without scoring a league goal so I can't say I was all that disappointed with what we got from him.

That said, I don't think Davie Irons did his best to play to Spence's strengths. He's a penalty-box striker but was fielded out wide in a 4-3-3 or as a number 10, positions that did not suit him and limited his effectiveness. I'd like to think Darren Young will be a bit more thoughtful in how he uses him.

I hope he does East Fife a good turn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah good luck to him. Looked like he had a bit of nouse but lacked confidence/drive or something

I’m looking forward with mixture of trepidation and fascination to see how we play 4 games in 8 days, 5 games in 11 days from Saturday. Luckily all but 1 at home. Although we seem to be set mid table, anything is possible.
2 approaches occur to me - pick 2-3 games and field strongest xi in these games and kiddies in other couple of games OR pick n mix throughout adding a couple of non-regulars each game, rest couple of starters each game. SURELY we can’t try to play close to same team throughout - that would be a case for the RSPCA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let’s be honest, Spence was a, I presume, an expensive mistake. Like many in this team he was less than impressive. Although it would be fair to say he isn’t the only player Irons doesn’t seem able to get the best out of

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good to read the club have taken the decision to move the automated camera to a new position within the main stand to the improve the video and audio quality of the match-day streams. It's been an ongoing issue and I'm pleased it's been addressed before Saturday's Scottish Cup tie with Kilmarnock, an encounter that's likely to be our most-watched match this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Francesc Fabregas changed the title to Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2022/23 Thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...