Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

On 11/01/2023 at 20:00, Cowdenleith said:

The new goalkeeper doesn’t strike me as straight in the first team, automatic number 1 material, given his experience (or lack of). I think I was expecting something different to this if you were to sign a goalkeeper.

Do managers at your level consult their goalie coach for an opinion before signing a new keeper.

Swift had the same goalie coach with him at BSC apparently.

2 hours ago, razamanaz said:

With the imminent folding of Syngenta, how will this effect the Warriors - was it a season-long contract?

Sod all surely - leaves them with times now free that they can rent the pitch out. Wasn't like they were making any money on the pie hut or anything.

Big losers will be Tim Hortons.

1 hour ago, coach said:

Do managers at your level consult their goalie coach for an opinion before signing a new keeper.

Swift had the same goalie coach with him at BSC apparently.

I know some that do, and I know others that don't. I know some that use their Goalkeeper Coach as just that, and I know others who use their Goalkeeping Coach as their all round Defensive Coach (which is covered in the UEFA B License), just depends on how the Manager see's it. 

Stephen Swift has been appointed Clyde assistant manager until the end of the season.

To me, it seems like this is essentially a trial period and if successful, he’ll probably take over from Duffy next season. Seems like we’re not content with taking sub-par League 2 players, we’ve now expanded into managerial appointments too.

Any positivity from here at all or are we talking abject failure? Seems like he put a decent squad together this season and it just hasn’t worked?

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Stephen Swift has been appointed Clyde assistant manager until the end of the season.

To me, it seems like this is essentially a trial period and if successful, he’ll probably take over from Duffy next season. Seems like we’re not content with taking sub-par League 2 players, we’ve now expanded into managerial appointments too.

Any positivity from here at all or are we talking abject failure? Seems like he put a decent squad together this season and it just hasn’t worked?

Hopefully I am wrong but he is a mid table lowland league manager which matches our current boards ambitions

2 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Nah, not really. You'd be hard pushed to find a Stenhousemuir supporter with anything positive to say about Stephen Swift's time at Ochilview. If you're inclined, go back a couple of pages to December last year when he was dismissed for a full assessment of his tenure but in short, he was a man out of his depth, despite ample support from the board. There were a couple of times where we'd put together a good series of results but we couldn't do it when it mattered. I thought we'd be challenging for the title this season; instead we're scratching around to get into the play-offs.

If you are looking for a glimmer of light, Swift might work well with a small budget - he'd put together a decent team at BSC Glasgow on a relative shoestring and I suppose he could do something similar at Clyde if he's being lined up to replace Jim Duffy.

On 10/02/2023 at 08:34, Brian Carrigan said:

Pity help you.  Wait till you see the standard of goalkeeper he will bring in.

Euan O'Reilly has signed a contract extension with the club, taking him up to the end of the 2024/25 season.

I think this is broadly a good move. While O'Reilly hasn't necessarily been at his most productive this campaign, he's a very likeable player and is capable of making something out of nothing.

Adam Corbett and Nicky Jamieson next, please (and Mikey Miller too, if he isn't signed up already)!

Stenhousemuir have signed Gavin Reilly from Queen of the South on loan until the end of the season.

On paper, this looks like a good signing but I have my suspicions. If he's being punted from a dreadful Queen of the South team, what can he offer the Warriors?

Nevertheless, I hope he can do us a good turn, allow us to keep the ball high up the park, and maybe score a couple of goals.

A great signing on paper but there can't be a worse club in Scotland for signing good names that do absolutely nothing at our football club.

A signing I will be treating with caution as he's been in the decline for the last four or five years but by the same token at this time in the market I can't see how we could have brought in better.

Hopefully Gavin can enjoy his time here and get back to scoring goals.

25 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Will reserve judgement on this one, but he surely will be an upgrade on Thomas Orr.

Bit harsh, Orr is a proven goal scorer in our league and has just hit a low point in his form. We haven't got the time to give Tam, to get back to his best, we need goals. 

We don't particularly need goals. We are the third top scorers in the league and we have goals in us from all over the park.

What we do need though from our central striker is to link play better than what we have had all season and then we can reap the benefits of that. It goes without saying with players like Brown, O'Reilly and Yates in the team that Reilly will get chances and should score goals but initially we really just need more all round from the focal striker of the team to ultimately make us better.

Reilly looked hopeless in his first couple of months at Morton last season, improved a bit after consistent games built up his fitness, then was very good in the second half of the season when he was no longer being managed by a total dud. You'd have struggled to find a Morton fan who didn't want him signed in the summer, albeit we'd have been hoping for more goals.

I'll defer to Queen of the South fans on what's gone wrong there, but considering the transformation in him from playing under Gus MacPherson to playing under Dougie Imrie I wonder to what extent Willie Gibson being a terrible manager is a factor in how he's struggled this season.

9 hours ago, Neilly said:

We don't particularly need goals. We are the third top scorers in the league and we have goals in us from all over the park.

What we do need though from our central striker is to link play better than what we have had all season and then we can reap the benefits of that. It goes without saying with players like Brown, O'Reilly and Yates in the team that Reilly will get chances and should score goals but initially we really just need more all round from the focal striker of the team to ultimately make us better.

Always needs more goals! 😅

But aye, fair comment.