Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

26 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

The new goalkeeper doesn’t strike me as straight in the first team, automatic number 1 material, given his experience (or lack of). I think I was expecting something different to this if you were to sign a goalkeeper.

Nor me, and I found the length of Curtis Lyle's contract surprising in the circumstances, but maybe it's the best we can do for the time being.

Conor Brennan's injury sounds incredibly painful but it seems like he's on the road to recovery. I wish him all the best.

Was just a bit too young and raw for league football when he was here. Has that raw pace that defenders at all levels hate and I'd suggest playing in EOS 3 will have toughened him up. Obviously knows where the net is.

I would be wary however in terms of looking at the goals he's scored at that level and getting too excited. The standard is absolutely abysmal. I've been to a few games at this level in the last year and it's an eye opener. Bo'ness Athletic win games by 6, 8, 10 or whatever most weeks against the worst sides you can possibly see in the football pyramid.

His strike partner Sinclair from last season, who was also banging in 40-50 a season, has struggled at Cowdenbeath in the Lowland League and that's 4 levels up so to go 6 levels up as Tiwi will is a massive ask.

Seems a good lad with a great work ethic so hopefully he can make the jump. Kelty have obviously done great work with Agyemang and polished him up to be a really good player and they will be hoping for similar here but do bare on mind the jump in levels.

Sinclair hasn’t struggled at Cowdenbeath, he’s been one of our better players in a team filled with dross. No doubt he would excel further in a better side, with a better manager as well. 

While the standard Tiwi currently plays at is poor he has also consistently scored goals against sides at levels above in cup games. 

Saw them both against a tier 6 side last season and they were both good but Tiwi as exceptional. 

On 11/01/2023 at 20:00, Cowdenleith said:

The new goalkeeper doesn’t strike me as straight in the first team, automatic number 1 material, given his experience (or lack of). I think I was expecting something different to this if you were to sign a goalkeeper.

Is the goalkeeping coach that came with Swift still there? 

8 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Sinclair hasn’t struggled at Cowdenbeath, he’s been one of our better players in a team filled with dross. No doubt he would excel further in a better side, with a better manager as well. 

While the standard Tiwi currently plays at is poor he has also consistently scored goals against sides at levels above in cup games. 

Saw them both against a tier 6 side last season and they were both good but Tiwi as exceptional. 

I suppose anyone half competent will look OK in that Cowdenbeath side currently but no senior team will come calling soon for Sinclair. However you want to butter it up he's not playing the blind school every week and has struggled for goals. That may come next season though in a better team as you say, Cowden's recruitment is notably better in recent months which bodes well for next season.

Players raising their game against higher opposition is nothing new in one off games, it's going up such a gulf in class and performing consistently that's now the task and that's what will be difficult.

With it being a long term deal (for this level of football) I can definitely see Tiwi being loaned to a Lowland League team next season (BU's, Cowden to partner Sinclair?) to see how he gets on and monitor his development from there.

I have played against both Sinclair and Daramala last season having played senior football previously- Tiwi is a raw talent with huge potential his pace and strength are phenomenal. Top player and hope he gets the chance to progress at Kelty. 

What's it like up there,snow/ice wise lads ?

Cold overnight,rising to 5c for game time tommorow...........

Stenny/Larbert far lower elevation than Arctic West Lothian and closer to the river Forth.....fingers crossed its game on tommorow. 

Edited by Dav nan Gael

2 hours ago, Dav nan Gael said:

What's it like up there,snow/ice wise lads ?

Cold overnight,rising to 5c for game time tommorow...........

Stenny/Larbert far lower elevation than Arctic West Lothian and closer to the river Forth.....fingers crossed its game on tommorow. 

We've had an artificial pitch for over 15 years!

10 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

We've had an artificial pitch for over 15 years!

Yeah a know bud.

Just it's been ice station zebra doon here aw week ........

Stenhousemuir replied to say no pitch inspection planned,happy days.

I do question the quality of the recruitment guys in general to be honest.

Do they really know what's required at this level? What are their credentials for recruiting players and being successful at this level of football?

Only Matty Yates has looked like a guy to take us to the next level from the summer recruits and anyone with two working eyes could tell you he was a quality player at this level last season. Everything else has ranged from atrocious to average at best.

Goalkeeper recruitment in particular has been diabolical for two seasons now hopefully Lyle can do us a turn and is more likely a Naysmith signing having managed him before.

4 hours ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

I see Bonnyrigg have signed Paddy Martin on loan from Falkirk. Not seen enough of Lyle, but I wonder if Martin was a keeper we might have been interested in bringing back.

Going by what McGlynn said yesterday that Martin asked to go out on loan so the option would have been there unless it’s something Martin sorted himself.

Niyah Joseph has left the club:

This is no real loss, I'm sorry to say. Joseph made little impression during his time at Stenhousemuir and watching him in action, it seemed unfathomable he was playing in the Championship last season with Queen of the South. I imagine he'll end up at someone like Cumbernauld Colts.

I hope we can reinvest his wage (and the Craig Bryson/Liam Brown loot) in recruiting players who can make the first XI better and kick us onto another level, not just "give us options". Hopefully Gary Naysmith has a few irons in the fire!

Another one to look at the recruitment side of things and it's baffling what was seen in the player in the first place.

Definitely not league level. I wish him well though and hope he can get some decent game time elsewhere.