Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

51 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

I suspect, and fear, that the reason there has been no announcement is that they are going to give Crighton a couple of games to prove his worth. Hope I'm wrong.

That is my fear as well - a couple of wins and he will get the job.   We have went in-house/cheap option far too often in the past.  We need someone with experience in asap.  As Hard Graft said the sound of silence is deafening, stop treating us like idiots. If you are waiting to see how Crighton does then tell us that.

if they mess around for 2-3 weeks then decide they need a new manager it will take them 2 weeks to get feet under the table. before we know it 5-6 weeks are wasted. New person needs to assess squad ahead of players moving in january.

Getting a bad feeling

Hope i'm wrong!

Do we even know if the job has been advertised?

Edited by true fan

What do some people want?

A date the new manager will be announced?

An official list of candidates?

A list of interview times?

A transcript of interviews?

It's not like some council admin role which pops up on S1 jobs. The second Swift's departure was announced people would have been firing in enquires and CVs. Work will be going on behind the scenes right now to sift through them and interview. Just because there has been nothing said about it doesn't mean they are sat twiddling their thumbs.

1 hour ago, true fan said:

Do we even know if the job has been advertised?

Where do you want it advertised? The Job Centre? The local rag?

Any out of work manager who fancies a crack at it will have sent in an application and any manager the Stenny board want a chat with will be approached. I’m not sure advertising it will make any difference.

1 hour ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

What do some people want?

A date the new manager will be announced?

An official list of candidates?

A list of interview times?

A transcript of interviews?

It's not like some council admin role which pops up on S1 jobs. The second Swift's departure was announced people would have been firing in enquires and CVs. Work will be going on behind the scenes right now to sift through them and interview. Just because there has been nothing said about it doesn't mean they are sat twiddling their thumbs.

Also a bit confused as to the "radio silence" posts directed towards the club above. 

Sean Crighton will obviously not be the next manager. 

Interviews this week I would expect an announcement by the weekend at the latest.

Edited by Neilly

On 20/12/2022 at 09:37, Nigel Blackwell said:

Kevin Harper was at our last home game. As were Pat Scullion and Greg Spence. 

I thought he had gave up on management and was concentrating more on his KH football academy and one on one coaching? Wouldn't surprise me if he got the job, Harper seems like a decent coach and person but we need someone to come in with more experience to get us up the league. 

The Warriors Weekly newsletter confirms that we've received "a strong standard of applications" for the vacant manager's role and interviews will start next week.

I hope that update keeps some of our more excitable supporters placated for the time being!

• 2 weeks later...

We are well and truly in the mud. We're the worst side in the division, we last won a match three months ago and we've taken four points in the second quarter. No-one is playing well, everyone seems short of confidence and an air of resignation is lurking around. A new manager cannot start soon enough to correct our current trajectory and move us away from the foot of the table.

I thought we actually competed well enough against a good Stirling Albion side yesterday but we badly let ourselves down with the concession of two poor first-half goals. A new goalkeeper must be recruited as a priority because both Conor Brennan and Jay Cantley are dreadful. Cantley somehow let Ross Davidson's daisy-cutter squirm through his fingers and then keeled over, looking for some phantom foul, when Robert Thomson tapped home from close range. Every set-piece was fraught with danger because he didn't come off his line once - against a team replete with big bruisers like the Binos, it was always asking for bother. Stephen Swift signed four permanent goalies for Stenhousemuir and all four of them have been terrible.

As well as a new goalkeeper, we need a central midfielder - Nat Weddernburn looks off the pace and could do with a spell on the sidelines.

What a dire season! Let's hope 2023 brings us more fortune.

So much hinges on this appointment. Despite some decent play yesterday (like most games) we have no chance as we concede so many goals. Each of yesterday’s goals had glaring errors from our defence/goalkeeper and it is the same every week. In my opinion we can’t take a chance on an untried manager. We need someone with experience. And then what happens in January? We need bodies in, but will only be able to do that if we can ship players out. That will be tough. 

For me, Wedderburn’s deterioration is the most damning. He was one of our most consistent performers last season and this but he has gone completely off the boil and was anonymous yesterday. Incredibly, Niyah Joseph’s cameo was our highlight. 

In some respects it was good to hear Crighton acknowledge that we need to make sure we stay in the league this season. I have no idea where the next point, far less win, is coming from. 

Goalkeeper is a major issue, that and how easy we concede goals.  At the Albion's second goal we had EIGHT players in the 6 yard box and he still scores. Will anyone decent want the job?

Hindsight is a great thing but the Board should have binned Swift long before they did and are complicit in our issues.

I'm pleased we've brought Gary Naysmith into the club - he seems, to me, to be a safe pair of hands who's enjoyed a reasonable degree of success at this level with East Fife and Edinburgh City, and someone who can pull us out of this dreadful tailspin. Survival is, unfortunately, our aim for the remainder of the season and I believe he can reinvigorate this group of players and consolidate our SPFL status. His first order of business is bringing in a new goalkeeper and central midfielder and I hope he can use his book of contacts to secure us some high-calibre loans.

More so, it's brilliant to have Brown Ferguson back at Ochilview. He's one of my all-time favourite Stenny players and someone who "knows the club", given his long association with the Warriors.

I'm really looking forward to the weekend's game against Stranraer now and I hope to see you all there!

Brilliant that Bomber has came back, will give the players a boost, having someone in who's got a lot successful experience at this level.

Really looking forward to seeing what Naysmith can do at the club and it appears to be a positive appointment as well. 

Delighted we've got him in, in time for training and the match on Saturday.