Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

15 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Bit of a rhetorical question given he's been on the bench any time I've checked but how has the charlatan Niyah Joseph been? Thought he was rank rotten for us and in no way a football player but wondered how he got as high as Championship. Surely he had to have something about him. Any signs of that for yourselves? 

No. A kiddie-on footballer who's offered next to nothing whenever he's featured.

I also realise this is a "yer da" thing to say but the way he carries himself, from his lilac hair to his short-sleeve-shirt-and-gloves combo, annoys me.

On 08/12/2022 at 16:53, Francesc Fabregas said:

Liam Brown, on paper at least, was an enormous upgrade on Bryson and would have been one of the best players in the division; it's just a shame he refused to play for us. This is another area I have sympathy with the manager.

Appreciate the answer may be in this thread somewhere if I had time to look, and there's been a couple of hints in posts since but what's the story here?

How does he go on loan to you and then "refuse to play"? He can't be made to go on loan, he must have agreed to it initially. What went wrong?

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Appreciate the answer may be in this thread somewhere if I had time to look, and there's been a couple of hints in posts since but what's the story here?

How does he go on loan to you and then "refuse to play"? He can't be made to go on loan, he must have agreed to it initially. What went wrong?

Sod the story. What matters is that Stenny find a manager who can stop the rot.  We're all brothers in suffering and fear in league 2.  I'm sick of seeing the pyramid system kill us.

Objectively it’s hard to argue against the pyramid but as a league 2 club supporter it’s hard having one eye on the football and one on the trapdoor. Club could have 10 solid seasons then boom - gone.

Not enjoying the game as much in past 4 or 5 years

On 16/12/2022 at 22:49, WC Boggs said:

Sod the story. What matters is that Stenny find a manager who can stop the rot.  We're all brothers in suffering and fear in league 2.  I'm sick of seeing the pyramid system kill us.

On 17/12/2022 at 10:09, true fan said:

Objectively it’s hard to argue against the pyramid but as a league 2 club supporter it’s hard having one eye on the football and one on the trapdoor. Club could have 10 solid seasons then boom - gone.

Not enjoying the game as much in past 4 or 5 years

I understand these sentiments.

The Lowland League is something of a sham, from the teams initially included and reason it was finally introduced in 2013, to the whining regarding their promotion opportunites being limited while blocking potentially better sides from leagues below, with the welcome laid out for a few shekels to Old Firm Colt sides putting the tin lid on the whole charade. 

9 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

The Lowland League is something of a sham, from the teams initially included and reason it was finally introduced in 2013, to the whining regarding their promotion opportunites being limited while blocking potentially better sides from leagues below, with the welcome laid out for a few shekels to Old Firm Colt sides putting the tin lid on the whole charade. 

Yip, the idea is spot on but ultimately, in my opinion, it’s a bloody shitfest and it will remain so for the distant future until some sort of levelling out happens. No self respecting SPFL club wants to be in that position. True Fan has nailed it, you only have to look at Brechin as the example of how things can go wrong and where you can end up (I know the Highland League is different but the sentiments remain).

13 hours ago, true fan said:

Re next manager - any news pending? Rumours? 
has there been a closing date for applications?

Nothing but the sound of silence. Why would you expect the club or the board to update the fans on such an important matter?  It is truly appalling.

15 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Derailing the thread a wee bit, but I agree. I've said before I'd rather see Sons relegated to the WOSFL Premier and play sides like Pollok, Irvine Meadow, Talbot and so on than drop into the Lowland League. Which is about as unappealing a league as there to fall into.

The prospect of trips to Uni teams (and fair play to Stirling Uni, who are an excellent side and very much there on merit), glorified boys clubs, podcasts and *shudder* youth teams makes relegation to the LL a seriously bleak prospect.

That's not to say all the clubs down there are bad. Berwick and Cowden were fixtures we seemed to play every other week growing up, and the same for the Shire - albeit not at Falkirk's stadium.

Tranent look like they could be a good addition to the 42 at some stage too.

Over time it should filter itself down and will maybe be more of a natural drop down from League Two. But it's going to take an absolute age.

Going from games against sides like Stenny, Stirling Albion, Albion Rovers and Annan to a weird midweek fixture card game against Cumbernauld Colts or the Caledonian Braves sounds horrific.

12 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Derailing the thread a wee bit, but I agree. I've said before I'd rather see Sons relegated to the WOSFL Premier and play sides like Pollok, Irvine Meadow, Talbot and so on than drop into the Lowland League. Which is about as unappealing a league as there to fall into.

The prospect of trips to Uni teams (and fair play to Stirling Uni, who are an excellent side and very much there on merit), glorified boys clubs, podcasts and *shudder* youth teams makes relegation to the LL a seriously bleak prospect.

That's not to say all the clubs down there are bad. Berwick and Cowden were fixtures we seemed to play every other week growing up, and the same for the Shire - albeit not at Falkirk's stadium.

Tranent look like they could be a good addition to the 42 at some stage too.

Over time it should filter itself down and will maybe be more of a natural drop down from League Two. But it's going to take an absolute age.

Going from games against sides like Stenny, Stirling Albion, Albion Rovers and Annan to a weird midweek fixture card game against Cumbernauld Colts or the Caledonian Braves sounds horrific.

Things have to change what you lot are saying on here is no different to what the juniors did by telling us about 150k toilet blocks. The lowland league is a good league and will be better once the big time ex juniors get up there.

The we have 500 fans argument isn't what makes a club. Cumbernauld colts and East kilbride got there clubs organised. Cumbernauld colts probably wouldn't be slated as much if they played in a small ground and not broadwood. 

Spfl need to open and so do the lowland league to improve the game in Scotland

6 hours ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Kevin Harper was at our last home game. As were Pat Scullion and Greg Spence. 

Surely wouldn't be a disaster, would he? Did a very good job turning round an Albion Rovers side that was hurtling down to the Lowland League at great knots, with no money

20 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

By the time Dumbarton drop into the LL things will have changed a lot though, at least one Uni side will be out along with other dross and replaced by the top EOS/WOS sides plus a few more ex-SPFL clubs.

41 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

By the time Dumbarton drop into the LL things will have changed a lot though, at least one Uni side will be out along with other dross and replaced by the top EOS/WOS sides plus a few more ex-SPFL clubs.

My primary gripe with the Lowland League is that is has given B teams a foothold in the league structure.  'One club, one team' should apply, end of.

11 hours ago, alan862 said:

The lowland league is a good league and will be better once the big time ex juniors get up there.

The Lowland league is a fucking sham and will continue to be so until they stop entertaining old firm and Hearts youth teams. I’d happily see every single club who bent over for them disappear into oblivion. If we ever found ourselves competing in that shitshow of a league I’d chuck it.

On 20/12/2022 at 08:44, Hard Graft said:

Nothing but the sound of silence. Why would you expect the club or the board to update the fans on such an important matter?  It is truly appalling.

I suspect, and fear, that the reason there has been no announcement is that they are going to give Crighton a couple of games to prove his worth. Hope I'm wrong.

17 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

My primary gripe with the Lowland League is that is has given B teams a foothold in the league structure.  'One club, one team' should apply, end of.

There were already B teams (Stranraer, University of Stirling) in the pyramid. That said, not a fan of B teams in the pyramid at all.