Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

2 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I think this is a good move for everyone involved. If he's played in a more advanced role then he'll give defenders at that level an absolutely torrid time. Hope he does well.

It’s sensational business for Stenny but I have no idea what Brown gains from it. He’s already more than proved himself at this level and can easily operate in either of the two leagues above. He’s not going to gain anything breezing by League 2 jobbers on a weekly basis.

26 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We've signed Liam Brown on loan from Queen's Park until the end of the season.

I don't want to get too carried away but, on paper at least, this is a sensational piece of business. He's one of the best central midfielders in the lower leagues and should stick out a mile.

If you said to me a year ago that Liam Brown would be playing league 2 football the following season, I’d of thought you were on something. First 3/4 months of last season he was exceptional for us and I genuinely thought he was on his way to potentially play in the top flight in the near future.

However, something changed and Laurie Ellis really didn’t help with his development. Instead of playing him as the advanced midfield (easily his best position), he started playing him in the holding midfield role and sometimes bizarrely he was punted out wide. A combination of playing out of position and poor results seem to impact his confidence and despite being fine for the rest of the season, you always got the feeling he could of impacted games a hell of a lot more than he was showing 

This season, we’ve just generally upgraded our midfield options and unfortunately the system we play has no real slot for Brown to play regularly. He’s still very young and got another year left on his deal next season so hopefully there’s a future still at qp if he performs well. If used properly, he should comfortably be the best player in league 2. He’s incredibly intelligent on the ball and uses his body very well. Probably just needs to add goals to his game 

Edited by qpfc

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It’s sensational business for Stenny but I have no idea what Brown gains from it. He’s already more than proved himself at this level and can easily operate in either of the two leagues above. He’s not going to gain anything breezing by League 2 jobbers on a weekly basis.

He won't but it will suitable compensation for Queens Park to ply their trade at Ochilview for the rest of the season.

Brown is a hell of a player and one I've admired since he broke through at QP as a teenager. The signing is, again, one that I thought would be beyond us.

24 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

That is an absolutely fantastic signing, head shoulders above old duds like Bryson. After seeing him a few times for Edinburgh City and Queens Park I genuinely thought this guy would be plying his trade in the top league by now - what the hell has gone wrong?

He was initially being kept out of the starting lineup by Grant Savoury, who is genuinely one of the most exciting young players I've ever seen at Queen's. Our formation then started taking more of a 4-4-2 shape with 2 relatively deep sitting midfielders and 2 wingers, and unfortunately for Liam neither of those roles suit him.

I'd personally have preferred to keep him as an option off the bench and for injury cover, but I can also understand why he wants to play first team football. I do think the point you made in your second post is valid though, we'd heard rumours that he might be going out on loan but it was to a League One side.

Edited by Zanetti

That's the best signing any club in L2 will make this season. An astounding bit of business from Stenny. There won't be a better player in the league than Liam Brown. I thought he was absolutely superb last season against us, like a ginger Iniesta.

Should be a brilliant signing and I really hope he and Stenny do well this season. The issue with him for the past year seems to be nobody knows his best position. He’s been tried deep which doesn’t suit him, Ellis had him as a wide player for about a month which was just ridiculous. Brown just looks lost and in his performances this season just seemed to slow our game down. 

On his day he’s tremendous and I really hope he gets his confidence back. 

I was contemplating how we would line up today. Will Miller play right back, will Corbett start, will it be a back 4, O’Reilly for Sewell, Yates up top with (Adam) Brown supporting etc etc.

With the signing of Brown I now have no idea. Will Philp and Brown will start at the expense of Forbes and who? Wedderburn? Miller?

Presume we will be sending someone out on loan. Anderson? Forbes?

48 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

I was contemplating how we would line up today. Will Miller play right back, will Corbett start, will it be a back 4, O’Reilly for Sewell, Yates up top with (Adam) Brown supporting etc etc.

With the signing of Brown I now have no idea. Will Philp and Brown will start at the expense of Forbes and who? Wedderburn? Miller?

Presume we will be sending someone out on loan. Anderson? Forbes?

Now we've brought in Ross Philp and Liam Brown, we've got a squad of 20 which is probably the ideal number to take into the second quarter of the campaign. We have good options in almost every area of the pitch and every player will be called upon at some point. I can't see anyone moving on, not until January at least.

Liam Brown will surely come into the starting XI today in place of Ross Forbes. Wedderburn anchoring with Liam and Adam Brown operating further forward is quite tasty and I'm looking forward to seeing how it knits altogether. I'm not sure where Philp fits into things, right enough, but we're in a good place. Really can't wait to see Liam Brown in action, what a coup and a far more exciting signing than someone like Craig Bryson.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

Niyah Joseph struggling to get much game time I noticed, when he has been brought off the bench where has he been playing ? I thought he might have been a good attacking option two divisions down from the championship but obviously not fancied by Stephen Swift. 

Edited by Broony88

25 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Niyah Joseph struggling to get much game time I noticed, when he has been brought off the bench where has he been playing ? I thought he might have been a good attacking option two divisions down from the championship but obviously not fancied by Stephen Swift. 

Queen of the South fans warned us we were signing a lightweight sand-dancer and, to be fair to them, they were absolutely correct. Niyah Joseph has contributed precious little in his limited game time and is some way down the pecking order. He's been used as an attacking midfielder whenever he's featured but players like Adam Brown and even Ross Forbes offer a lot more. Now we've signed Liam Brown on loan from Queen's Park, I don't think he'll be used much at all going forward.

29 minutes ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Andy Rodgers has retired from playing and left Syngenta. Is he the only player to have played for the Shire, Falkirk and Stenny? 

Colin Cramb played for all three, did he not? Played for Stirling Albion too, so a real tour of the FK postcode.

5 hours ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Andy Rodgers has retired from playing and left Syngenta. Is he the only player to have played for the Shire, Falkirk and Stenny? 

5 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Colin Cramb played for all three, did he not? Played for Stirling Albion too, so a real tour of the FK postcode.

4 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Kris Faulds is another!

This is great fun. Jamie Barclay would be another. Although I don't think he ever actually played a competitive game for Falkirk - outwith the Stirlingshire Cup.