Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Callum Yeats is returning to the club for a season-long loan from Queen's Park:

This is a tremendous piece of business - Yeats is a smashing player with a lot of ability and a brilliant attitude and he'll be the final piece of our back four.

I'm very excited for the season ahead. I think we could have a successful campaign.

This is more quality work. When you look at what's kicking about for potential left backs at this level I don't think we are going to get any better than the wee man. I don't think he's had a bad game really in his two spells. 

We have done some good work but more importantly it's good work done early. I can't remember a season where we will have been as prepared so well in advance as much as this one. We probably only need to add a right winger and our work is done. 

Aye, we can't be too far away. I think we need another defender in (someone who can play at left-back if needed) and a right-sided attacker but that's a good squad of players going into the new season. We look a lot better prepared than we were 12 months ago, that's for sure.

I don't want to get carried away, and it is still early days, but when you compare our business to the rest of the division, we look in good shape.

Here's an updated squad list following Callum Yeats' acquisition:

GOALKEEPERS

• Conor Brennan (signed from East Kilbride)
  • Jay Cantley (signed from Airdrieonians)

DEFENDERS

• Adam Corbett
  • Sean Crighton
  • Daniel Higgins (signed from East Fife)
  • Nicky Jamieson
  • Callum Yeats (signed from Queen's Park - on loan)

MIDFIELDERS

• Mikey Anderson
  • Adam Brown
  • Craig Bryson (signed from St Johnstone)
  • Ross Forbes
  • Mikey Miller (signed from Ayr United - loan made permanent)
  • Nat Wedderburn

FORWARDS

• Niyah Joseph (signed from Queen of the South)
  • Euan O'Reilly
  • Tam Orr
  • Will Sewell (signed from Largs Thistle)
  • Matty Yates (signed from Stranraer)

I think at this point we have to accept the one or two others we bring in will be lower quality squad fillers.

I was probably a bit harsh in Niyah Joseph, but it seemed a bit of a waste of a left/central attacking midfielder as O'Reilly is clearly the number one on the left and we have more central players than we know what to do with.

Other team wise, I think Stirling have the money to make 2 or 3 excellent signings and will be right up there. Annan will regress slightly and Forfar will be about the same. Reckon the league will be won with 65 points.

2 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

Daniel Higgins is CB/LB cover & we have Corbett who can cover CB n Miller who can cover RB so we may roll with what we have at back if we are thin on budget.

This is my thinking as well. We can't just go for player for player to cover as like last year you are going to end up with a squad of 22 minimum off the bat. I don't know if Higgins can cover left back but Miller is adaptable enough to cover both full back positions, Higgins and Corbett can cover centre back if required. These are the sacrifices we need to make if we want a higher quality squad with less bodies, the bodies we do have are going to have to adapt in different positions if required.

Last season at left back is a prime example - we had Mills and Coll vying for the one slot pre-season. We now have a higher quality player and will have to adapt if that player is out. 

Ross Lyon was offered a deal though so maybe there is scope for another defensive player on a low wage but I wouldn't be overly fussed.

I think we are lucky to have players in the squad who can play more than one position with relative ease.

Fantastic signing and more great work done by the club to get Yeats back. It's impressive how much they've got done and it's not even pre-season. 

Interested to know how others think this team will line-up and how we'll set-up in centre mid. Bryson beside Anderson? 4-3-3? 

Also, could this be the season Ross Forbes shows his potential? 😅.

14 minutes ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Fantastic signing and more great work done by the club to get Yeats back. It's impressive how much they've got done and it's not even pre-season. 

Interested to know how others think this team will line-up and how we'll set-up in centre mid. Bryson beside Anderson? 4-3-3? 

Also, could this be the season Ross Forbes shows his potential? 😅.

At the moment, I'd say 4-3-3

The back 4 picks itself. Yeats, Jamieson, Crighton, Corbett.

Midfield 3 of Bryson, Wedderburn, Miller.

O'Reilly wide left but dropping deep left to receive the ball with Orr and one of Sewell/Yates up top

2022-23 PRICES 

Adult – £180 [£10 per match] 

Concession – £110 [£6.11 per match] 

16 – 21 year olds – £40 [£2.22 per match] 

Under 16s – FREE [sponsored by Your Equipment Solutions] 

There’s also an option to pay monthly for both Adult and Concession Season Tickets. 

Adult – £18 per month [July – April] 

Concession – £11 per month [July – April] 

Unbelievable value again there can't be much better than that in Britain. 

When you look at how the likes of East Fife are treating their fans for season tickets we should be very thankful.

Hopefully there's a decent uptake after such a positive close season on the signing front.

Stenhousemuir look like they have a squad that could compete at the top end of the table this season - but then I thought that last season and it never materialized.  I'm not sure I agree with the chairman's assessment that last season (1.36 points per game) was much better than the previous season (1.18 points per game). 

Matty Yates should be a fantastic signing. 

3 hours ago, Neilly said:

2022-23 PRICES 

Adult – £180 [£10 per match] 

Concession – £110 [£6.11 per match] 

16 – 21 year olds – £40 [£2.22 per match] 

Under 16s – FREE [sponsored by Your Equipment Solutions] 

There’s also an option to pay monthly for both Adult and Concession Season Tickets. 

Adult – £18 per month [July – April] 

Concession – £11 per month [July – April] 

Unbelievable value again there can't be much better than that in Britain. 

When you look at how the likes of East Fife are treating their fans for season tickets we should be very thankful.

Hopefully there's a decent uptake after such a positive close season on the signing front.

What a football club. I'll be purchasing mine tomorrow.

I just can't wait for this season to start! I'm so excited! (And that will inevitably lead to crushing disappointment when we finish in sixth.)