Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Someone on the Clyde thread has said that we approached Bryson and he asked for £700 p/w which is... a lot, to say the least. As per usual with these things it should be taken with the worlds largest pinch of salt, but with the (of course, unsubstantiated) rumours of a five figure fee for Sewell, seems like Stenny are in the money somewhat.

That said, it could all be a load of shite.

16 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Someone on the Clyde thread has said that we approached Bryson and he asked for £700 p/w which is... a lot, to say the least. As per usual with these things it should be taken with the worlds largest pinch of salt, but with the (of course, unsubstantiated) rumours of a five figure fee for Sewell, seems like Stenny are in the money somewhat.

I'd have a guess that the Bryson signing probably happened due to Queens Park paying to play at Ochilview. 

Of course, it's all unsubstantiated about how much we're paying for players and how big their weekly wages are, but now's the time to push the boat out to win the League 2 title. There are no outstanding candidates and no immediate title favourites and I think we're doing the right thing by signing up the better players from last season's team and adding some high-calibre additions.

We're still a handful of players away from having a decent squad (a left-back, a right-sided attacker, some defensive cover) and I don't trust the new goalkeeper, but I'd expect us to be challenging at the top end of the table come the end of the campaign.

I do wonder how we'll line up and what the plans for Craig Bryson are - where do you play him? As a deeper midfielder? Or pushed high up off the striker?

It's a riddle, that's for sure!

Any chance of going back for a look at the latest Hibs kids for this season? Was it just not a decent cohort last year that we never utilised any additions from them, or has Swift condemned that partnership? 

7 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Any chance of going back for a look at the latest Hibs kids for this season? Was it just not a decent cohort last year that we never utilised any additions from them, or has Swift condemned that partnership? 

Pretty sure that relationship was quietly kyboshed when Graeme Mathie left Easter Road and his replacement (Ian Gordon, I think?) spoke out against strategic partnerships.

I think, on the whole, it was beneficial to Stenhousemuir, with Callum Yeats and Paddy Martin (and latterly Jack Brydon) all starring regularly but I'm not sure it's healthy to have three of your starting XI on loan from the one club.

If you still have some sort of tie-in with Hibs then you could do a lot worse than trying to get Joao Balde on loan. Really exciting winger who won POTY at Civil Service Strollers last year. He got a move to Hibs in January and was loaned back for the rest of the year. Only saw Strollers a couple of times last season but he was the best player on the park both times, including in an early season win over Bonnyrigg.

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Craig Bryson must have been earrning at least £10,000 a week on average during his 8 years at Derby (and it could have easily been double that at points). He now has an estate agents's business where it appears he works full time. I really do not think money is going to be his main motivator and find it unlikely we are going to shatter our usual wage structure for him. If we were going to chuck money around willy nilly we'd be signing a couple of proven 15-20 goal League 1/2 strikers, not losing our most complete forward to Stirling Albion

5 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I would be surprised if Bryson was on that figure but then again I do not know if anyone knows what the current going rate is for a player in L2. £700 per week would equate to roughly 90 fans paying at the gate (1 home game every 2 weeks). Given that that is a 6th of our usual gate it does not leave much for the rest of the team and the club.

A lot will depend on how much money we are receiving from QP.

It was rumoured in 1998 that Alan Lawrence was on £400pw and Albert Craig on £350pw so perhaps that figure of £700 may not be far of the mark. Lead us to promotion and it would be money well spent.

There is no chance that Craig Bryson will be on £700 per week. Having spoken to a couple of part-time footballers about their wages, we could bring in three good, experienced players for that kind of outlay.

I've no doubt Bryson will be well looked after at Stenhousemuir but I envisage he'll be paid about half the amount touted.

Ultimately, it's futile to talk about wages and money and sponsorship unless you're on the board of directors! Myself included!

Just the usual pre-season rumour mongering really from people not connected at the club. He will be on nowhere near that money.

Good update from the chairman today. Looks like the club is flourishing and certainly under his stewardship all facets of the football club have come on leaps and bounds over the last few years.

Long may it continue.

5 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

There is no chance that Craig Bryson will be on £700 per week. Having spoken to a couple of part-time footballers about their wages, we could bring in three good, experienced players for that kind of outlay.

I've no doubt Bryson will be well looked after at Stenhousemuir but I envisage he'll be paid about half the amount touted.

Ultimately, it's futile to talk about wages and money and sponsorship unless you're on the board of directors! Myself included!

Agree, as fans, it has nothing to do with us. Who cares what they're earning, that's the boards job. We just want them to win shit 😅

There are short videos posted on Largs' Twitter of all the goals they score. 

Sewell seems to scrore all types. Towering headers, 25 yard blasts, side foot one on ones, chipping the keeper one on one, first touches under pressure. Looks very calm and unrushed when presented with a good chance. A nice mix of strength and pace. I think he'll do very well.

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Men of Stenny….maybe someone should have checked the final published copy….not a good look. Leave it with you….

image.thumb.png.c5a8026c127a0f1705240c0f134ff80d.png

Likely due to the font size set on your device.

12 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

There are short videos posted on Largs' Twitter of all the goals they score. 

Sewell seems to scrore all types. Towering headers, 25 yard blasts, side foot one on ones, chipping the keeper one on one, first touches under pressure. Looks very calm and unrushed when presented with a good chance. A nice mix of strength and pace. I think he'll do very well.

I've also watched as much footage as I can of him and I'm in total agreement.

Looks an animal in front of goal but obviously still approaching with caution as the defending at times in some of these clips leaves a lot to be desired. Some of the dink finishes are top drawer all the same.

Hopefully a really good find from the west non league. I think you would be going back to Grant Anderson in 2010 for the last success from that avenue off the top of my head?

For every Anderson there is always more Tam Murdochs.

There’s nothing more exciting than signing a guy from the lower reaches of the pyramid (previously the juniors) who has scored a load of goals. We seem to never take a punt on these kind of guys. The last one we did take a punt on (Garry Fleming) done not too badly for us! I’m pretty sure he was banging in 30+ goals a season for Irvine Meadow at the time and whilst he wasn’t a prolific striker he was a fantastic player for us. 

We’ve had a few flops as well mind you but this lad Sewell looks like a bit of a player.