Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

We've surely asked the question.

This groundshare is going to go way beyond the group stages is the impression I get. Lesser Hampden is a mile away from being ready.

Edited by Neilly

On 26/05/2022 at 11:02, Francesc Fabregas said:

I am absolutely choking on a signing. A proper blue-chip, big-name SPFL superstar to pop the boys, please!

You wanted a signing... you got a signing!

In comes Jay Cantley, a goalkeeper, previously of Airdrieonians and Falkirk. I imagine he's the new David Wilson.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

On 26/05/2022 at 11:02, Francesc Fabregas said:

I am absolutely choking on a signing. A proper blue-chip, big-name SPFL superstar to pop the boys, please!

I'm sure signing Jay Cantley is exactly what you were after! He was fine for us, I think he only started twice and came on as a sub once but he looked alright in that time. He's quite small for a keeper but I'd have been fine with us keeping him as backup for next season. It's hard to say much more about him, I've seen much worse keepers at Airdrie but it's a very small sample size. 

Well he's not a proper blue-chip, big-name SPFL superstar but he'll probably be alright. Played three times for us in zero-pressure games - the second-round of the Challenge Cup, a dead rubber last game of the season v Peterhead and he came on as a sub the week before v Clyde when we were 4-0 up. Hard to assess him in such circumstances but he was absolutely fine. Competent, no mistakes and saved everything he should have, only conceding a from a penalty and a wonder goal. Looks like a wee boy (but really, it's a man) but I reckon he'll be a decent enough sub goalkeeper if called upon. He's probably better than Connor Brennan TBH. 

I completely missed this earlier in the week but Declan Hughes and Jamie Mills have both left the club.

Neither of them made much of an impact on the team and seemed out of their depth in the SPFL in the few games they played.

I wish them both well.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I completely missed this earlier in the week but Declan Hughes and Jamie Mills have both left the club.

Neither of them made much of an impact on the team and seemed out of their depth in the SPFL in the few games they played.

I wish them both well.

I would to hear your thoughts on David Wilson going to Opengoal fc or whatever they call themselves.

Excellent bit of business that. Yates was superb against us last season and posted some decent numbers for a young lad at this level.

I thought he would have went up a league so a coup to get him.

Exactly the type of profile of player we should be looking for to compliment the experienced base of of squad.

We've also signed someone called Will Sewell from Largs Thistle, who scored 41 goals in 19 appearances last season. That's an astonishing return and I hope it translates to League 2.

As for Matty Yates, I'm delighted with that. I can't think of a single player last term who gave us as much bother as he did. A clever, clinical forward and someone who could work well with Tam Orr up top.

Two intriguing acquisitions!

6 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We've also signed someone called Will Sewell from Largs Thistle, who scored 41 goals in 19 appearances last season. That's an astonishing return and I hope it translates to League 2.

As for Matty Yates, I'm delighted with that. I can't think of a single player last term who gave us as much bother as he did. A clever, clinical forward and someone who could work well with Tam Orr up top.

Two intriguing acquisitions!

I'm never sure how much you can read into goal records at that sort of level, but I was hoping we'd be after Sewell. I saw him playing against Clydebank last month (without any idea who he was, or his goal record) and he was head and shoulders above everyone else on the park. He scored two good goals, worked his arse off and looked to have that sort of nasty streak you love to see in a striker too.

I'm very interested to see how he gets on.