Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

2 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

Do we have a list of who is signed up yet?

GOALKEEPERS

• Conor Brennan (signed from East Kilbride)

DEFENDERS

• Adam Corbett
  • Sean Crighton
  • Daniel Higgins (signed from East Fife)
  • Nicky Jamieson

MIDFIELDERS

• Mikey Anderson
  • Adam Brown
  • Ross Forbes
  • Mikey Miller (signed from Ayr United - loan made permanent)
  • Nat Wedderburn

FORWARDS

• Euan O'Reilly
  • Tam Orr

The club have announced the departure of several players this afternoon via social media (and instead of putting them in a list, they've been tweeted out one by one, which took ages).

The players leaving Ochilview are:

• Cammy Graham
  • Ryan Marshall
  • Jordan Tapping

Meanwhile, James Lyon, Spencer Moreland and Peter Urminsky are returning to their parent clubs.

What does this mean for the likes of Graeme Smith, Declan Hughes and Ross Lyon? Tune in soon to find out!

Dan Higgins should be a decent enough signing for L2. Didn't feature all that much for us last season but a player I'd have been happy enough to have kept on for next season. Not great, not bad is probably a fair summation of what we saw of him at East Fife.

54 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Dan Higgins should be a decent enough signing for L2. Didn't feature all that much for us last season but a player I'd have been happy enough to have kept on for next season. Not great, not bad is probably a fair summation of what we saw of him at East Fife.

It sounds as though he will be an upgrade on our departing back up centre half. That kind of position is hard to fill really I've seen a lot of seasons where we were going in to the last friendly games with boys on trial and stuff so to get an adequate back up for Sean and Nicky early doors is another part of the squad ticked off.

I'd assume Smith and Hughes are away. Ross Lyon, Daz and Div possibly offered deals but mulling things over? Ross and Daz I'm sure will not be short of offers and aren't guaranteed to start for us so probably have to weigh that up what's best for them personally.

On 06/05/2022 at 15:45, Neilly said:

It sounds as though he will be an upgrade on our departing back up centre half. That kind of position is hard to fill really I've seen a lot of seasons where we were going in to the last friendly games with boys on trial and stuff so to get an adequate back up for Sean and Nicky early doors is another part of the squad ticked off.

I'd assume Smith and Hughes are away. Ross Lyon, Daz and Div possibly offered deals but mulling things over? Ross and Daz I'm sure will not be short of offers and aren't guaranteed to start for us so probably have to weigh that up what's best for them personally.

Christie definitely away.

I thought he might be. Really like him as a player always gave it everything and had some great games for us. Still has a lot to offer someone.

Best of luck to him I say wherever he ends up.

On 06/05/2022 at 13:30, Francesc Fabregas said:

GOALKEEPERS

• Conor Brennan (signed from East Kilbride)

DEFENDERS

• Adam Corbett
  • Sean Crighton
  • Daniel Higgins (signed from East Fife)
  • Nicky Jamieson

MIDFIELDERS

• Mikey Anderson
  • Adam Brown
  • Ross Forbes
  • Mikey Miller (signed from Ayr United - loan made permanent)
  • Nat Wedderburn

FORWARDS

• Euan O'Reilly
  • Tam Orr

Any idea whats,happening with Ross Lyon,  I know we were looking at him in January,   nothing since though..

Ross Lyon, Darren Christie and David Wilson have all left the club:

There was a reasonable case to keep all three players. Lyon was one of our better players in the first half of the season, playing at right- and left-back, but an untimely injury and Adam Corbett's rise to prominence (as well as Callum Yeats' signing) saw him drop to the bench. I reckon he'll get signed up with another League 2 side, or a fag-end team in League 1, no bother.

Christie was a decent impact sub and was always capable to creating something when introduced late on in games (although I never felt he contributed enough when he started matches). There was also a school of thought that he was one of the "fittest players in the team" but according to Transfermarkt, he only completed 90 minutes four times in his 34 appearances. He can now take some time out and tweet about Rangers.

Wilson is a decent reserve goalkeeper, and he looked good in the latter part of the season when he deputised for Peter Urminksy, but he made a lot of mistakes after replacing Ryan Marshall in September and I don't think he really regained the trust of his manager and the support. Nevertheless, I would have kept him as back-up to Conor Brennan for the new campaign.

Good luck to all three of them - they each made a contribution at various points in their own way.

Wilson would have been an O.K. back up, nothing more than that.

Christie put in a good shift but was not good enough to be starting (well, only!) natural right winger/attacker.

Lyon did very well and it's unusual to find a player who's pretty effective at both full back positions. A very versatile player I'd have liked to have kept. With the emergence of Corbett, he was never going to be first choice in his favoured position.

We need a bit of change. I think some fans would have been content to re-sign 15 of the players who stumbled to 5th place.

• Francesc Fabregas changed the title to Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2022/23 Thread

It's been a week or so since we've had any updates from the club about players coming and going but does anyone know what's happening/happened with:

• Josh Grigor
  • Declan Hughes
  • Jamie Mills

I'm going to assume that all three are leaving/have already left the club.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

It will probably be updated tonight now you have flagged this on the Pie and Bovril website. They are always watching.

How about some fantasy bookings? Realistic players we could get in that would improve us.

Nathan Flanagan obviously springs to mind, has just left Stirling and would be an upgrade on what we had last season at right wing you would think. One of the best players in the league on his day but trying to get that consistency on a regular basis has so far evaded him in his career. Him and O'Reilly cutting in from the wings is a lovely thought though.

Charlie Reilly at Albion Rovers is a player who really impressed me this season. Plays in a similar position to O'Reilly, cutting in from the left wing,  but for me has the attributes to play as a central striker. Strong, quick and an eye for goal. I think in a better team he would do a lot of damage at this level. There is surely no way he remains at Albion Rovers beyond the summer anyway.

Callum Yeats permanently. Surely Queen's Park getting promoted can give us a better chance of securing Yeats at some point in the summer? I think his game time would be extremely limited for them in league one so I can't see how that is looking any better now they have been promoted. He would be worth the wait if it had to go deep into the summer but could be risky if there is no guarantees we can get him and miss out on a decent left back in the meantime. I'm not sure how many decent left backs will be kicking about right enough.

I'm struggling after that as too many players are either unrealistic targets or jobbers on the released list who are inferior to what we have. A left back, right winger and striker of quality are going to be required if we are to be fighting it out at the top, thereafter we are just adding bodies to beef up and compliment the squad we already have.

52 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Left back, right winger and striker of quality are going to be required if we are to be fighting it out at the top, thereafter we are just adding bodies to beef up and compliment the squad we already have.

Those are definitely the 3 positions we need to fill with top end L2 players. After that, adequate squad fillers would be fine.

Yes to Yeats, but would be a bit underwhelmed with the other two you mentioned if they were to be first choice players.

I hope we don't try and play O'Reilly at the tip of a diamond or far too high up on the left of 3 forwards. Getting the ball on the half way line with plenty of space to drive into and accelerate is when he causes chaos.

I don't want to suggest signing players who've done well for us in the past but I think we'd benefit by dipping into that nostalgic market. Callum Yeats would be an obvious pick - a good left-back, someone who seems to enjoy playing for Stenhousemuir and someone who would complete a strong back four - and maybe someone like Kieran Millar too to race about and complement Nat Wedderburn in the middle of the park (although with Mikey Anderson staying on, there might be less need for a player of his profile). What about getting Paddy Martin back on loan from Falkirk? He did well with us in the garbage 2020/21 season and is probably a better option than this "Conor Brennan".

Nathan Flanagan would be a decent shout on the right of midfield and Sammy Ompreon looked useful at spells for Cowdenbeath over the part of the season.

I do worry we'll be scratching around Dumbarton and Clyde's released players and end up bringing in Paddy Boyle or Robert Jones to "add something different". No thank you!

Interesting chat tonight about how many players have appeared for a club in a season. Mostly Premier League clubs discussed and Aberdeen apparently had 31 players turn out this season - got me thinking Stenny couldn’t be far away from that? 🤔 

37 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Queen's Park are to groundshare at Ochilview for a couple of months while the redevelopment of Lesser Hampden continues:

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/lesser-hampden-update/

A neat way to make a couple of extra quid for the club, I suppose!

You'll be absolutely delighted with this.

If Airdrie can get a move here as well that'll will be your three teams under the one roof.