Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

You cannot brand someone who played in less than a quarter of our league matches as "hugely responsible" for the failure to make the play-offs! Ryan Marshall was a poor goalkeeper, sure, but let's not be silly here. Using that metric, Jordan Tapping would be "hugely responsible" too given he was responsible for giving away so many goals in his eight league appearances.

We have well and truly entered "two-bald-men-fighting-over-a-comb territory" and I'll say no more on the matter!

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We have well and truly entered "two-bald-men-fighting-over-a-comb territory" and I'll say no more on the matter!

Absolutely mind numbing thanks for noticing.

On 26/04/2022 at 13:11, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Ah well, maybe if a good team like Edinburgh, Annan or Forfar pap us into this hell hole of a league you’ll get a shot at us next season. 

On 26/04/2022 at 13:43, Neilly said:

I look forward to reacquanting with my friends from The Rock next season.

You're only going to get even more hidings dished out next season in league one, you would be as well returning to your natural level and at least being competitive.

Welcome back lad.

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

Welcome back lad.

Tell you what Neilly, if you lads had been in tonight's game instead of us the scoreline would have been the same (if not more). Dumbarton didn't look very good. 

17 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Tell you what Neilly, if you lads had been in tonight's game instead of us the scoreline would have been the same (if not more). Dumbarton didn't look very good. 

We’re ‘good’ away from home, too.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It feels good to be back in the land of the true Scottish footballing jobbers, with the added dicing with death trap door in play. I can’t wait.

It really was all fun and games last time we were here. No threat of Lowland League, you could just have Gerry McCabe offering fans square goes in the car park in Elgin.

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I'm well aware of that hence I said for months if we get 4th we would go up. You only have to look at that Dumbarton squad to see how rank rotten it is it was essentially a bye to the final for whoever got fourth in our league.

We’ve signed Daniel Higgins from East fife. I know nothing about him.

Conor Brennan from East Kilbride. Remember him well from Brechin and Dumbarton. Remember him as being really bad. Maybe he has improved. Although notice he is a coach at Rangers so maybe a route to some nice loan signings?

1 hour ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

We’ve signed Daniel Higgins from East fife. I know nothing about him.

Conor Brennan from East Kilbride. Remember him well from Brechin and Dumbarton. Remember him as being really bad. Maybe he has improved. Although notice he is a coach at Rangers so maybe a route to some nice loan signings?

Dan spent a couple of seasons at Cove and did well, especially in L2, before an injury which kept him out for 2 months. He never really looked the same after it sadly and subsequently he never got back in the starting XI. He did start a single Premier Sports cup match for us in July against Peterhead before signing for East Fife where he didn't feature all that much.

It's been a decline but given game time along with regaining some confidence then you have a capable centre back who's got good distribution and is confident with the ball at his feet.

Can take a set piece too, check this to go 1-0 up against Hibs..

https://youtu.be/ecIZPInLNtI

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Hmm. It's only fair to reserve judgement on both players until you've watched them for seven or eight matches but on paper, these are underwhelming signings. I've spoken to a few people about Conor Brennan and no-one's had anything positive to say about him, with "saving shots" and "catching crosses" being two of his main weaknesses. His career appears to have been on a downward trajectory since leaving Kilmarnock in 2016 and I'm not convinced bringing in a goalkeeper from East Kilbride will be an enormous upgrade on Ryan Marshall or David Wilson - this was a position we had to get correct straight away! Nevertheless, I hope I'm proved wrong and Brennan can do us a solid turn.

As for Daniel Higgins, CoveRangers1922 above me has written up a nice summation. I imagine he's been brought into the club as the third-choice centre-back behind Sean Crighton and Nicky Jamieson. An associate has told me Higgins is good with the ball at his feet but isn't terribly aggressive, and he couldn't get into one of the worst East Fife sides in the past decade. Oddly, I remember him playing for Cove Rangers when Stenhousemuir beat them 3-2 in October 2019 and thinking he wasn't tremendous that afternoon.

Still! Plenty of time to bring in some players that will add pedigree and razzmatazz to the squad!

Higgins makes sense to me. we have crighton & jameson in the middle and both will be on good wages i expect. if we were signing another with pedigree to challenge these two i'd be more worried about us experimenting wth something thats working. higgins will be solid enough as a third choice or option

Aye, signing Mikey Miller up for the next two years is a really good piece of business. Hard working, versatile, good on the ball, he looks classy wherever he's fielded, be it in central midfield or at right-back. I thought other teams might be in for him so I'm glad he's sticking around at Ochilview. Lovely stuff!