Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Graham
Tapping
Forbes (if not on 2 year deal)
Hughes
Moreland - loan end
J. Lyon - loan end

They will all be away. Might not be able to move forbes but we will certainly try.

There is a case to be made to give everyone else another contract. Possibly a cpl not if we were to be promoted.

Wedderburn has to be a priority if he isn’t signed up yet. There is a the base of a really good team.

As much as I would like them to stay I would imagine Adam Brown and Ross Lyon would move on as they haven’t been guaranteed a start.

Priority no 1 though is a keeper. Wilson is a good back up but we’ve seen the consequence of having a weak keeper.

I'd keep Forbes, his distribution can be excellent, has good experience and has a great left foot. Can change the dynamic of the team and give a different type of threat. He needs players committed to doing most of the running though. 

I think Cammy Graham is decent squad player to have and is still developing his game. He won't be commanding a high wage either, so he keep him around. 

I had forgot all about Declan Hughes, he can disappear into the footballing abyss along with Marshall. 

I thought we had already signed Corbett, if not, he and Nat Wedderburn should be priorities. There is a case for keeping most of the first team, cannot remember last when we went into a new season with the majority of the same team.

A goalkeeper is the priority along with another centre back

I'd keep Forbes, his distribution can be excellent, has good experience and has a great left foot. Can change the dynamic of the team and give a different type of threat. He needs players committed to doing most of the running though. 
I think Cammy Graham is decent squad player to have and is still developing his game. He won't be commanding a high wage either, so he keep him around. 
I had forgot all about Declan Hughes, he can disappear into the footballing abyss along with Marshall. 
Your opinion which you're entitled to but forbes has done nothing to deserve to stay at the club. A complete passenger who will be on a very good wage. If we can move him on it's an absolute must. I suspect you will be in the vast minority who would keep him.

1 hour ago, Hard Graft said:

I thought we had already signed Corbett, if not, he and Nat Wedderburn should be priorities. There is a case for keeping most of the first team, cannot remember last when we went into a new season with the majority of the same team.

A goalkeeper is the priority along with another centre back

I also can't remember us ever going into a season with a settled squad of any sorts. We now have that chance if the players obviously want to stay and build on what we are doing.

Would only need minor tweaking as opposed to the usual wholesale changes. 

If we can add Yeats and Miller permanently to the obvious guys we want to keep we could have a really solid 10 or 11 to build from.

Remember when people thought Corbett was a centre back? Credit to gaffer for using his abilities in the correct way he could well go on to Championship level as a full back. He's an absolute superstar.

Edited by Neilly

Maybe so and yes, there's only been a few notable Ross Forbes quality moments this season. Too far and between but it'll be upto Swift whether he thinks he can get Forbes to play to his ability next season or not. I think we can get more from him.

I'm not sure how much of wage he'll be on, he hasn't exactly been playing at high levels for a while, so may be less than we expect?

I see Ross Forbes is still dividing opinion. It was the same when he was here at Forfar. Personally, I think he is s class act and definitely worth keeping, I do hope the new contract is more than a rumour. His distribution and reading of a game is excellent - especially if others around him help create space for him. And of course his dead ball placement is outstanding.

Edited by The Skelpit Lug

I see Ross Forbes is still dividing opinion. It was the same when he was here at Forfar. Personally, I think he is s class act and definitely worth keeping, I do hope the new contract is more than a rumour. His distribution and reading of a game is excellent - especially if others around him help create space for him. And of course his dead ball placement is outstanding.
A don't doubt fans of his previous clubs have seen that. We haven't. I believe he had a good game at the 4-3 at Forfar but I wasn't there. Like you say expected his dead ball delivery to be a real reason to have him in the side but has really failed to live up to any expectation of that at all.

The only reason he will be here is due to the handing out of the 2YD & us unable to move him on. Swift clearly doesn't fancy him.

I think, over the piece, Ross Forbes has been a poor piece of business. He's been signed on a two-year deal on, you'd have to imagine, a decent wage, but we really haven't had value for money. He's got an exceptional left foot and can open up play with incredible diagonal balls but these good moments come around every five or six matches. Most of the time, he's mooching about the pitch in an undefined position, struggling to impose himself on games.

Forbes can only really play as a deep-lying playmaker, but Nat Wedderburn has excelled there (with Mikey Miller and/or Mikey Anderson making up for his lack of mobility). We've tried him wide on the right and pushed high up just off the striker and nothing seems to suit him. His unwillingness to simply "run" is out of sorts with the rest of the team; the idea of having someone like Forbes in your squad is better than actually having him. He seems a bit of a misfit.

I think Swift does have a fairly good opinion of him, after all he's played over 30 times this season. We also tried to accommodate him in the formation a lot through out the season. I think he enjoys playing RM more than in the middle of the park. 

He's under performed this season, his assist total isn't high enough for a player in his role. However, he still has that ability to create an opportunity or to bend in a free-kick. Some of his switching play and passing has been brilliant at times plus he keeps the ball very well. He's 33 now, so perhaps more of a squad rotation role in the future. Swift will get him playing! Still, at least, two games for him to show some magic. 

19 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Can’t believe what I’m reading about Forbes. He is a passenger. For a marquee signing he hasn’t even come close to one single MotM performance. Huge disappointment.

Not strictly true was best player for us at Forfar when he ran the show scoring twice and assisting but yes a disappointment on the whole.

Two games to go in the season and massive positives recently and moving forward and somehow we are discussing the merits of an under performing player.

Typical doom merchants.

6 hours ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

5 hours ago, Vimto90 said:
6 hours ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Your opinion which you're entitled to but forbes has done nothing to deserve to stay at the club. A complete passenger who will be on a very good wage. If we can move him on it's an absolute must. I suspect you will be in the vast minority who would keep him.

:lol: This could have been lifted, almost word for word, from Sons' thread last season.

The club have opened the voting for Player of the Season:

I went with Nicky Jamieson - I think he's been superb since he joined the club from Alloa Athletic, given the whole team some much-needed solidity and made everyone around him better. Big Nat Wedderburn would have been my second pick, and I might have been tempted to give it to Adam Corbett but he's only played regularly since December.

On 27/05/2021 at 20:01, Vimto90 said:

Nat Wedderburn.

All the physical attributes but always seemed a bit brainless when I have seen him.

Should be fine for league 2 though.

On 27/05/2021 at 20:12, Francesc Fabregas said:

Nat Wedderburn: not for me.

On 27/05/2021 at 21:02, beaver1 said:

Wedderburn isn’t for me.

Delighted for Big Nat, I thought the big mans career was headed for the lowland league after this season but happy he's turned in some good performances this season. Good luck with the playoffs.

Delighted for Big Nat, I thought the big mans career was headed for the lowland league after this season but happy he's turned in some good performances this season. Good luck with the playoffs.
Been holding onto them for a while? [emoji23] strange.

He has strolled this league. So two things either he is just having a great season at the right club or the level between league 2 & 1 is bigger than people think as I can't see him doing anything different last cpl years but not had great reviews.

5 hours ago, Vimto90 said:

Been holding onto them for a while? emoji23.png strange.

He has strolled this league. So two things either he is just having a great season at the right club or the level between league 2 & 1 is bigger than people think as I can't see him doing anything different last cpl years but not had great reviews.

The top half of L1 is considerably better than L2.

Nat has always been a decent player, well liked in his time at Cowden.