Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

The clause was "if a club comes in for me that plays in white shirts because it makes me look cool and has Bitter and Twisted for sale in their Social Club then I reserve the right to leave"
You surely didn't read that back and think "yeah that's top bantz, am happy with that"

49 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

The clause was "if a club comes in for me that plays in white shirts because it makes me look cool and has Bitter and Twisted for sale in their Social Club then I reserve the right to leave"

tenor-46.gif

2 hours ago, Vimto90 said:
2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

You surely didn't read that back and think "yeah that's top bantz, am happy with that"

Yes I did. 

Miserable b*****ds.

Back down to earth with Dal C.

Unfair really as never seen him play but a 33 year old who has played 8 senior games doesn't get ye excited.

Imagine on pittance and bit part player. Wonder if hoppy might be away or seen as a winger primarily.

43 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

Back down to earth with Dal C.

Unfair really as never seen him play but a 33 year old who has played 8 senior games doesn't get ye excited.

Imagine on pittance and bit part player. Wonder if hoppy might be away or seen as a winger primarily.

This is exactly my feelings on it. We've just allowed one of the very few experienced players in the team join a rival side one day, and brought in a relative unknown the next. Darren Christie's name was mentioned earlier in this thread so it's no real surprise he's joined Stenhousemuir. Another player Stephen Swift has previously worked with at BSC Glasgow and someone who was quite well thought of during his short loan spell with Annan Athletic. 

I can't imagine this will bring about the end of David Hopkirk's time at Ochilview (although I've been proven wrong a few times in this regard!) and Christie has signed to beef up the numbers in attack. It's been mentioned elsewhere that Swift prefers a 4-3-3 system and he'll probably start the season with Robert Thomson on the left, Hopkirk on the right and Tam Orr through the middle.

Here's the updated squad list for the year ahead:

GOALKEEPERS

• Ryan Marshall (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Graeme Smith

DEFENDERS

• BJ Coll (signed from Forfar Athletic)
  • Adam Corbett
  • Sean Crighton (signed from Airdrieonians
  • Ross Lyon (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Jamie Mills (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Jordan Tapping (signed from East Stirlingshire)

MIDFIELDERS

• Michael Anderson (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Adam Brown (signed from Alloa Athletic)
  • Ross Forbes (signed from Dumbarton)
  • Declan Hughes (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Nat Wedderburn (signed from Dumbarton)

FORWARDS

• Darren "Daz" Christie (signed from Pollok)
  • Cammy Graham
  • David Hopkirk
  • Thomas Orr (signed from Stranraer)
  • Robert Thomson (signed from Alloa Athletic)

OUT ON LOAN

• Josh Grigor (Syngenta)

A wee bit back, when Jordan Tapping was rumoured to be signing, someone posted wondering when the last time was that two brothers played for the Warriors simultaneously. 

I might have this wildly wrong, but had to go back to the 1930s for Davie and Peter Cowan. They were from West Carron, and played for a variety of clubs, but their careers overlapped for a time. Peter went on to become Stenhousemuir chairman.

Even further back, pre WW1, brothers Jimmy and John Hodge, born in Stenhousemuir, played at Ochilview, then both were transferred, at different points, to Manchester United. Jimmy went to Old Trafford in 1910, John in 1913.  

Of course, with Callum away to Edinburgh City, the brothers question won't be answered by the Tappings. 

Sorry to have derailed the signings 'excitement'.

3 hours ago, Christophe said:

Interesting article with a couple of moments that caught the attention, particularly about recruitment. Is Sean Crighton playing an active role in identifying players and suggesting them to the management team? Or is Stephen Swift running ideas past him for his input? I wonder how many of his new team-mates he'd heard of before.

Either way, it sounds like big things will be expected from Crighton this season with Swift putting a lot of trust in him. Let's hope he delivers!

39 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

The club are looking for supporters to vote for next season's away kit.

One and three are pretty neat - I voted for option three myself!

Vote now!

I do like the design ones, but as they are the same as our home top I've went for the lovely clean white choice 1 for the away. Would be good to see what the short/sock colours for each are though  

8 hours ago, true fan said:

Wildly wrong

Tyrrell brothers

5 hours ago, CEMSFC said:

Dunlop Brothers were the most recent set of brothers to play for the Warriors during our promotion season in 17/18

Thanks, chaps. I've got some grasp of long gone history, but recent events are sparingly recalled.

6 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Interesting article with a couple of moments that caught the attention, particularly about recruitment. Is Sean Crighton playing an active role in identifying players and suggesting them to the management team? Or is Stephen Swift running ideas past him for his input? I wonder how many of his new team-mates he'd heard of before.

Either way, it sounds like big things will be expected from Crighton this season with Swift putting a lot of trust in him. Let's hope he delivers!

Fantastic captain and leader and during the last 12 months of madness kept a young squad  really tight and was always there for boys who were struggling a bit......

On the downside he is an old fashioned centre Half , kick it long and head it longer....

Fantastic captain and leader and during the last 12 months of madness kept a young squad  really tight and was always there for boys who were struggling a bit......

On the downside he is an old fashioned centre Half , kick it long and head it longer....

What's needed at this level so not sure how it's a downside fella.