Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Here is an exact, unredacted copy of the correspondence I shared with Francesc Fabregas regarding this matter: 

He is okay. I think okay sums him up entirely. He is quick in a busy sort of way (I'd be surprised if he is actually the fastest but he's wee and his legs move quick). Tenacious and will run all day. Will be in trouble if teams starting launching diagonals on top of him (e.g Tony Wallace).

He basically didn't play in L2 for us and when he did it was right midfield. We didn't really play with wide players anyway. He was knocked off the ball too easily for his pace to be a factor. 

He ended up starting a few games at right back in L1 and wasn't poor. Surprisingly so. Didn't go forward much as we were struggling but tucked in well. Easy choice to release him though.

I think he'll be passable but that's about it.

Thank you for this ringing endorsement. I understand Ross Lyon will used at right-back, with his manager believing he can become "one of the best in League 2".
If Stenhousemuir truly have designs on possessing the finest right-back in the fourth tier, may I put forward the name of Scott Rumsby to Mr. Swift? A very experienced defender who has played in that role previously. Get in quickly Stephen, because Clyde have tabled him an offer for next term!

In all seriousness, I think you'll get the most out of Lyon at right-back at that level, as long as he is afforded the opportunity to progress up the park and has sufficient cover from his centre-back/holding midfielder.

3 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

In all seriousness, I think you'll get the most out of Lyon at right-back at that level, as long as he is afforded the opportunity to progress up the park and has sufficient cover from his centre-back/holding midfielder.

If anyone knows how to get the best out of him, it'll be Stephen Swift!

I imagine this will be a phrase used in relation to every single one of our summer signings given we appear to be bringing in the BSC Glasgow squad en masse.

In his brief interview online, Swift did allude to the fact he likes quick and attacking full backs.

If anyone can judge a right back at this level you would think it would be the man himself, he was one of the best in the lower leagues for many years when he was a player.

35 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

we appear to be bringing in the BSC Glasgow squad en masse.

Shades of McVeigh bringing the whole Albion rovers team with him when took over at Ochilview. Worked well for first season. 

Without bringing a whole team I think it’s quite common for new managers to bring in a few players well known to them and things go well initially. Bit harder to find brand new players in subsequent years. Not that the phrase “subsequent years” always applies these days. Hope its different this time

Adam was in the year above me at school and he was the Celtic youth player who found Maradona’s lost medallion and was hoisted onto his shoulders. The picture of that was PLASTERED across the Abronhill High School P.E. department. I also saved a penalty from him once.

Not useful but trivia I like to share. Hope he does well for you.

Robert Thomson: CONFIRMED

You'd like to think this could be a really good signing given his general style of play and the level he's been performing at over the past few years. At least we've all probably all heard of him!

I wonder why we're spacing these announcements over the course of the weekend and not revealing them all at once. Fair play all the same.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

26 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Robert Thomson: CONFIRMED

You'd like to think this could be a really good signing given his general style of play and the level he's been performing at over the past few years. At least we've all probably all heard of him!

I wonder why we're spacing these announcements over the course of the weekend and not revealing them all at once. Fair play all the same.

Should be a great signing for the Warriors

58 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Should be a great signing for the Warriors

Let's wait and see about that. We've had our fingers burned by "great signings" in the past so I'm reserving judgement for the time being.

I'm not sure if this is apocryphal but Stenhousemuir were in for Robert Thomson when he left Greenock Morton in 2019, with the club and the player very close to agreeing terms. Someone who fancied themselves as an ITK posted in this very forum that it was more or less a done deal. This was subsequently read by someone at Alloa Athletic who informed Jim Goodwin that Thomson was available. Goodwin got in touch with Thomson and convinced him to move to the Recs instead. I think it might have been for less money than we were offering him too.

Has Jamie Mills signed for Stenny?? Read it in a post on here but didn’t see anything on Twitter.

If so, for the sake of your club, I hope you see a better player than the one that played for Stirling 3 or 4 years ago.

2 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Has Jamie Mills signed for Stenny?? Read it in a post on here but didn’t see anything on Twitter.

If so, for the sake of your club, I hope you see a better player than the one that played for Stirling 3 or 4 years ago.

Agreed, pace to burn, but cannot defend to save himself.

Edited by Big Dougie

Adam Brown: CONFIRMED

I quite liked Brown when he was with Airdrie. He always used to get dogs abuse from their fans which says more about them than it does him. Worried that he has barely featured for Alloa the season just passed. Same applies to Thomson. When did he last score a goal?

1 minute ago, beaver1 said:

I quite liked Brown when he was with Airdrie. He always used to get dogs abuse from their fans which says more about them than it does him. Worried that he has barely featured for Alloa the season just passed. Same applies to Thomson. When did he last score a goal?

According to Soccerbase, Robert Thomson's last goal for the Wasps was the equaliser in a 1-1 draw with Greenock Morton on 2 January, while the last time he started a match was against Heart of Midlothian on 16 January. I watched a few Alloa Athletic games when our league was shut down and Peter Grant preferred to use Innes Cameron as the lone striker in their system, with Thomson coming off the bench here and there.

Adam Brown, meanwhile, made just seven league appearances last term. I can't say I know too much about him.

While they could well be decent signings at this level, I found the tone of this week's newsletter quite sarcastic (especially when the daft exclamation marks were chucked in). Our "former Rangers academy player" is Ross Lyon, who has received indifferent reports from Clyde supporters, while our "Championship striker and midfielder" is Robert Thomson and Adam Brown respectively, two players who rarely featured for a side who finished in last place. It's not a great way to build anticipation and goodwill towards the new season.

I'm probably overthinking things and should be looking forward to the new direction under Stephen Swift but I'm finding it hard to get excited at the moment.

Of the boys you’ve picked up from us, I’d say Dec is the pick of the bunch. Sits in centre midfield doing the simple things really well, takes a good set piece. He’s a huge loss for us.

Wee Mikey is more of an attacking mid, gives you all the effort & endeavour in the world. Probably needs to kick on a wee bit but has every chance to do so. 

Lyon & Mills are very much attacking full backs that rely on recovery pace when getting back. Best going forward - Lyon scored a fair few goals early on last season when used as an inside forward before we brought in Jamie Glasgow & Daz Christie.