Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

19 minutes ago, Midnight Express said:

Just general dressing room scuttlebutt with regards to training and game time which happens in every dressing room, some players happy and others less so. 

As you say academic now and hopefully better days ahead. 

cheers, fingers crossed

Does anyone know who's taking the team in the post-split fixtures? I assume McGoldrick is gone. Graeme Smith appears to have been quite visible and vocal on the touchline while he's been injured, reckon he'd be a shout 

Does anyone know who's taking the team in the post-split fixtures? I assume McGoldrick is gone. Graeme Smith appears to have been quite visible and vocal on the touchline while he's been injured, reckon he'd be a shout 

On Tuesday Graeme Smith arrived at Galabank with the tactics board. Halftime Davie Irons never went into changing rooms at half time.
So it could be Smith

4 hours ago, marco44 said:

On Tuesday Graeme Smith arrived at Galabank with the tactics board. Halftime Davie Irons never went into changing rooms at half time.
So it could be Smith

Given the score I am somewhat surprised to learn we had tactics.

Watched the first 45 minutes of the Cowden game and that was enough. Players playing with no pressure on them, trying to win a new contract and attract the attention of a new manager and they show very little. 

Bryden and Yeats again look the part but that raises an issue which someone may be able to clarify. This arrangement we have with Hibs is there a clause where we must play so many of their loan players at any given time or are they just part of the squad? Martin, Yeats and Bryden have been stand outs but would hate to be in a situation where the loan players are not of the same standard and we are again in a battle to avoid the relegation play off and they have to play a set number of games.

Need to get this appointment right. Last three seasons have been brutal. Another one and it could be us at the bottom of the league.

The last two manager appointments have been a disaster really. Both were the easy option...

1 hour ago, Moonglum25 said:

Watched the first 45 minutes of the Cowden game and that was enough. Players playing with no pressure on them, trying to win a new contract and attract the attention of a new manager and they show very little. 

Bryden and Yeats again look the part but that raises an issue which someone may be able to clarify. This arrangement we have with Hibs is there a clause where we must play so many of their loan players at any given time or are they just part of the squad? Martin, Yeats and Bryden have been stand outs but would hate to be in a situation where the loan players are not of the same standard and we are again in a battle to avoid the relegation play off and they have to play a set number of games.

I remember asking Jamie Swinney this when the strategic partnership was first agreed, whether or not we were obliged to play Hibernian's loanees regardless of their form, and was told the Stenhousemuir FC manager will pick the team as they see fit; there is no pressure from Hibs. I think the only time we've been under duress not to pick a player was the recent game against Queen's Park when Callum Yeats was rested after recently returning from a long-term injury.

The partnership's worked well for us so far. The three players you mentioned all have something about them and will go on to play further up the pyramid in the future. Paddy Martin has probably been our Player of the Year and it's hard to believe Jack Brydon is only 17. If there was an opportunity to bring them back for next term, I'd like to see us explore it.

25 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

Need to get this appointment right. Last three seasons have been brutal. Another one and it could be us at the bottom of the league.

The last two manager appointments have been a disaster really. Both were the easy option...

I agree with this 100 per cent and would go so far as saying this could be the most important appointment in the club's history. A couple of years ago we had a little leeway with who we could employ and could perhaps take a risk - Martyn Corrigan, Scott Booth, Brown Ferguson, Colin McMenamin were all first-time managers - but with the overall quality at the club being chipped away every year and the possibility of relegation from the SPFL on the horizon, this is one we have to get right.

One person who's contacted the club excites me, and I'd like to see them given the opportunity, but the other names, some of whom have been mentioned in this thread, don't inspire confidence.

I think we'll have our new manager in place by the end of next week.

I’d be interested in what the analysts are contributing, it is early days for sure but this is a new venture so we may get some feedback at the AGM. I agree with the comments we need to get this appointment right- too many easy options and they seem to be based on friendship and relationships rather than analysis, experience and possibly finances. 

1 hour ago, Happy Pebble said:

I’d be interested in what the analysts are contributing, it is early days for sure but this is a new venture so we may get some feedback at the AGM. I agree with the comments we need to get this appointment right- too many easy options and they seem to be based on friendship and relationships rather than analysis, experience and possibly finances. 

There is definitely more than one option available in terms of candidates, will be interesting to see what direction the club go with it.

Edited by Big Dougie

Callum Yeats has signed a one-year contract extension with Hibernian:

Very pleased to hear this news. Yeats has really looked the part at left-back and his performances have been one of the few good things about our campaign. Good luck to him going forward!

I would imagine Hibs will look to loan him again to a better level than us. Best of luck to the wee man been pretty much the only consistent outfield player when fit from what I've seen.

Surely an announcement before the weekend to get the boys in for training on Saturday? 

Delighted with that. We have gone for the easy option promoting from within a few times on the bounce now and it's not worked out. Great pool of young managers further down the pyramid and we've bagged one of the best. Let the good times roll! 

48 minutes ago, Neilly said:

I would imagine Hibs will look to loan him again to a better level than us. Best of luck to the wee man been pretty much the only consistent outfield player when fit from what I've seen.

Surely an announcement before the weekend to get the boys in for training on Saturday? 

That escalated Swiftly.

Delighted with the appointment I always felt this seemed a good fit for us and a guy who deserved the opportunity.

Looking forward to next season.