Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

2 hours ago, beaver1 said:

Carlos Manzana Martinez has rejoined. Normally, this would be good news, but when we are crying out for a defence, and he is an attacking midfielder, I'm not sure he's what we need just now. Assuming there will be quite a bit of movement in January so perhaps this is just preparation for that.

I think this is good news. I appreciate the sentiments about beefing up the defence but I imagine he's playing for buttons and he's the kind of player that can create something out of nothing. He does have a tendency to drop out of games but he'll offer something no-one else in the team can.

I also see Jack Smith's left the club on loan until January, returning to East Kilbride. I feel a bit for the guy but he was nowhere near good enough for League 1 football and I think the management team sussed that out pretty quickly. Judging by the standard of the Lowland League, goals at that level must be like dog years - seven Lowland League goals equates to one senior strike.

I also see Jack Smith's left the club on loan until January, returning to East Kilbride. I feel a bit for the guy but he was nowhere near good enough for League 1 football and I think the management team sussed that out pretty quickly. Judging by the standard of the Lowland League, goals at that level must be like dog years - seven Lowland League goals equates to one senior strike.

Called it pre season and got a hard time for it. Not good enough for the SPFL.

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Not saying you're wrong but playing for a dominant EK he'd have had far more chances than he'd get in Stenny's team. Would Liam Buchanan have 11 league goals in Stenny colours this season?

20 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Not saying you're wrong but playing for a dominant EK he'd have had far more chances than he'd get in Stenny's team. Would Liam Buchanan have 11 league goals in Stenny colours this season?

Probably not, no, this team isn't creating a lot of chances at the moment, but Jack Smith just didn't look good enough whenever he was given a chance regardless. He works ever so hard, you could never fault his effort but his touch, movement and physicality was lacking. I think after about a fortnight Bomber realised he wasn't good enough this level. I hope he does well back at East Kilbride.

And as for "1320Lichtie" - no-one likes an "I-told-you-so!" person. Get back under your bridge, troll!

2 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Probably not, no, this team isn't creating a lot of chances at the moment, but Jack Smith just didn't look good enough whenever he was given a chance regardless. He works ever so hard, you could never fault his effort but his touch, movement and physicality was lacking. I think after about a fortnight Bomber realised he wasn't good enough this level. I hope he does well back at East Kilbride.

And as for "1320Lichtie" - no-one likes an "I-told-you-so!" person. Get back under your bridge, troll!

One of the rare players to have played a game at every senior level but as you say, 3 goals in total is not much of a return.

Apologies! :lol:

I'm just bitter. ;)

Willis Alves Furtado was superb yesterday and delivered one of the best individual performances I've seen from a Stenhousemuir player in a long time. The right-back he was up against was terrible and didn't offer much resistance, but you can only play what you're up against an Willis had him on toast.

I've absolutely no idea about Willis' background or how the heck he found himself in Stenhousemuir but he could go on to have a decent career in full-time football in this country. When he's playing well, he's great to watch - he's adventurous, he's skilful, he's direct and he's capable of something audacious. When he's not on his game, he's a complete luxury and someone who looks hot-headed. He was involved in an alleged spitting incident in a recent defeat to Stranraer and he was sent off for an over-the-ball tackle against Brechin, neither of which were really on.

I think the broad consensus amongst the support is to enjoy him while he's with us.

14 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

What's the score with the boy, Furtado? Looked handy in the highlights I watched of yesterday's game.

I heard he was training with Thistle as well as playing with Stenhousemuir. Not sure the truth in it though

• 2 weeks later...

It's a pity it's not really worked out for Smith.  We were looking at signing him, and I think the reason we didn't is because he wasn't keen on going full-time.  His father's an Airdrie legend, of course.  

What's wrong with your defence that you're losing so many goals? 

Edited by Tulloch Gorum

16 hours ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

It's a pity it's not really worked out for Smith.  We were looking at signing him, and I think the reason we didn't is because he wasn't keen on going full-time.  His father's an Airdrie legend, of course.  

What's wrong with your defence that you're losing so many goals? 

Colin McCabe, the goalkeeper, is horrendous. That's probably the primary reason we're chucking away goals with such frequency. Some of the mistakes he's been making are horrible - check out the highlights of the League Cup defeat at Queen of the South, or the pumping at home by Stranraer, or the loss to Brechin City. These are basic goalkeeping errors, and his inability to command his penalty box seems to have spread a nervousness throughout the squad.

On top of that, the defenders around him aren't that great: Fraser Kerr's probably our best out-and-out centre-back and he's done alright this season but he's got a petulant streak in him and sometimes goes looking for unnecessary trouble; David Marsh is a League 2 defender; Ross Meechan is much better at right-back than he is in the middle but he's lost his place to Jamie McCormack, a full-back who is a decent attacker but seems to get caught on the back foot too often; and Ciaran Summers is taking his time to get back up to speed after a long period out injured.

David Crawford injured himself in his second game for us (a 4-1 thumping at Alloa Athletic) but he's supposed to be back soon. Hopefully he can help keep things together.

I only saw Crawford once in the away game at Alloa and despite being 3 down before he went off the back 4 for the first time I've saw them this season looked slightly more confident than whenever McCabe has been in goals. I just posted on the aidrie v stenny thread about him being very lucky against forres with those 2 late goals that were chopped off. I didn't see much in them and thought the ref done him a favour. Agree with the comment about him seeming to spread nervousness throughout the whole team. 

I've been wondering to myself who was worse. McCabe or Barclay. Barclay I felt was just out of his depth in the league one and appears to be doing well at his current level. He did seem lacking in confidence at times and was prone to a blunder. But I feel McCabe makes more blunders per game and seems to be incapable of finishing a game with a clean sheet. The sooner Crawford returns the better. And potentially see McCabe return in Jan? With a better back up being called in?