Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Stenhousemuir lost 3-0 to Livingston in a friendly earlier this afternoon at Ochilview. All three goals came in the first half. The Warriors put together some nice moves in the opening ten minutes but Livi took control shortly afterwards and scored through a trialist, Liam Buchanan and Ross Millen. Both teams made a number of changes at the interval and the second half was a little disjointed. Stenny's team in the second half was more or less made up of teenagers I'd never heard of.

There were a number of positives to take from the game. Of last season's players, I was impressed with Ciaran Summers, Ross Meechan, Kieran Millar and Colin McMenamin - all four look to have continued on their form. They played 45 minutes each. I liked the look of Stephen Stirling and Allan Smith too, both showed some good touches and the latter linked up with McMenamin very well. He's a worked too. Alan Cook came on at half-time and looked the part, seems like a no-nonsense, hit-the-byline-and-put-it-in type of winger. Some of the trialsts (#5 and #14) might also worth be having another look at.

There were also some areas of concern. Tony Marenghi looked a little unfit and seemed to be gassing after half an hour. The way Millen took the ball by him in the build up to the second goal was pretty embarrassing. As always, Marenghi looked decent on the ball but he was poor without it. Stirling was screaming at him at one point after he failed to come infield to cover a Livi player's run. Stuart Malcolm looked badly off the pace too and was done about five or six times in the second half alone. If the ball's in front of him he looks okay but whenever it's played in behind him, he looks lost.

It'll be interesting to see what happens on Monday with the Heart of Midlothian game. I won't be there because I'm playing badminton.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

Hammered Hearts Under 20s 5-1 (well when I left) tonight. Smith, Malky x2, Auld Heid and some jobber trialist called Carlos.

Robertson off early doors injured not great at all especially if he was carrying something beforehand as mentioned.

Euan Murray is the trialist centre back ex Motherwell and Clyde. Don't think he's quite got it very slow to play beside Malky be as well playing Meechan there.

The main purpose of this game would have been to get a few Hearts boys I'm not sure if we really can after that they were so poor you couldn't pick a player out. Couldn't compete with the closing down of our team.

Hammered Hearts Under 20s 5-1 (well when I left) tonight. Smith, Malky x2, Auld Heid and some jobber trialist called Carlos.

Robertson off early doors injured not great at all especially if he was carrying something beforehand as mentioned.

Euan Murray is the trialist centre back ex Motherwell and Clyde. Don't think he's quite got it very slow to play beside Malky be as well playing Meechan there.

The main purpose of this game would have been to get a few Hearts boys I'm not sure if we really can after that they were so poor you couldn't pick a player out. Couldn't compete with the closing down of our team.

what's the other trialists called mate

Was watching the score coming in on Twitter and wondered if this link-up with Hearts is a good thing. If our jobbers are bodying them with little fuss, I worry what these young loanees will bring to the team.

The defence is still a bit of a worry. Could really be doing with a Michael Devlin-style centre-back to make up for Stuart Malcolm's weaknesses but goodness knows where we'd get someone like that from.

Still, a good result and pleased to see Allan Smith scoring. I've a feeling he'll be a handy wee player for us over the year.

Was watching the score coming in on Twitter and wondered if this link-up with Hearts is a good thing. If our jobbers are bodying them with little fuss, I worry what these young loanees will bring to the team.

The defence is still a bit of a worry. Could really be doing with a Michael Devlin-style centre-back to make up for Stuart Malcolm's weaknesses but goodness knows where we'd get someone like that from.

Still, a good result and pleased to see Allan Smith scoring. I've a feeling he'll be a handy wee player for us over the year.

It was given to Meechan