Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

6 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

No idea where's off to but it sounds like, going by Bomber's interview, he left of his own accord to find a team a bit higher up the food chain.

It's nice to know the door's been left open for him if things don't work out over the summer.

Maybe need to have a wee listen to the interview. Hopefully he finds somewhere but he's still a young man and playing regularly with us might not be the worst option for him if he fails to find something. 

10 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Alan Cook, talk to me?

Will do a good job for you - if he can get over his knee injury which he was apparently getting surgery on - he should be bang on. On his day very difficult to stop although at times has a tendncy to do to much takes the shot on when he perhaps should pass but that is only a minor critisism. Good luck to him.

More news from the club - CLICK.

The good news is David Marsh has agreed terms for next season; the bad news is Fraser Kerr has left the club.

I think both events were likely. Marsh added a bit of solidity to the backline when he joined Stenhousemuir midway through last season and, although he's hotheaded and a little silly with his play, he should be a decent asset next season. He'll have his work ahead of him as I reckon the Dunlop brothers will be our first-choice at centre-back (unless Bomber continues playing three at the back).

I'm really sorry to see Fraser Kerr moving on. I thought he was a very good player for us last season - he was a strong defender who could play a bit and carry the ball out of defence, but he was also a hardy bit of tin who wouldn't let himself, or his team-mates, get pushed around. He could have the pick of the clubs at part-time level and I've got a feeling he could follow Alan Cook to the Recs.

I wish him all the success for the future.

He may play with three at the back next season. Happy enough with Marsh, qualified with the reservations around his yellow/red card count 

The players expected to leave, are. Kerr could easily play at Championship level. 

Good to have Marshy back on board we are building a right gang at the back which is pleasing.

Could see Kerr at Dumbarton or something like that especially since they have lost Buchanan to St Mirren.

Stenhousemuir have announced several new signings - CLICK.

Jimmy Scott has joined from Arbroath while Nathan Blockley has transferred from Peterhead. Colin McMenamin, as was expected, has agreed to sign on for a fourth season while young jobbers Joshua Gracie, Robbie Sinclair and Thomas Halleran have joined from the Forth Valley Football Academy.

I don't know what to expect from Scott but Blockley could be an absolute steal - if he can recapture the same form he showed at Airdrieonians a couple of years ago he could be one of the best ball-winning midfielders in League 2. If Neilly's right and the club confirm the signings of Jamie Longworth and Chris Smith we'll have a very good shout for promotion next season.

15 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Word on the street appears to be:

IN

Jamie Longworth

Martin Scott

Nathan Blockley 

Chris Smith 

AWAY

Graham Bowman 

Kieran Millar 

Is that Wallace Chris Smith or Chris Junior Smith?  You'll be better off with Wallace, I hope we made the right choice with our two keepers.

Edited by AlbionMan

Enjoy Jimmy. Already spoke to Cesc about him.

My tuppence worth

He started off really really well and played in the middle of the park with McCord but he picked up an injury and after that Whatley took that spot. So he spent most of the second half of the season playing upfront with Doris or on the right hand side of a 3 with Doris in the middle and Linn on the left.

Looked ok there like but never really found his form again and looked a bit off the pace. However big big aerial presence and he scored a fair few headers for us and always caused teams problems from set pieces.

Basically he started off very well and looked sharp and tidy on the ball. Ended up looking a bit clumsy and also playing out of position. Fans stuck with him though as he's just such a likeable mental bass.

If you get him back to fitness could be a very good player for you.

Much much much better than Smith Neilly. ;)

1 minute ago, AlbionMan said:

Is that Wallace Chris Smith or Chris Junior Smith?  You'll be better off with Wallace, I hope we made the right choice with our two keepers.

be better off with the goalkeeper

Most definitely the goalkeeper - given we've already got the Dunlop brothers and David Marsh signed up, I don't think we need another centre-back. A bog, strong, commanding goalkeeper like Chris Smith would be a brilliant signing. Bomber hasn't had much luck with goalkeepers over the last two years so he needs to get it right this time.

3 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

be better off with the goalkeeper

Wally. I can't see it personally thought h would be outwith our price range but you never know. He's a quality keeper.

We have done our business for centre backs so thankfully Junior the mess at Clyde is not on the radar.

Just now, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I'm happy with Blockley and Scott. The players we've signed to date all seem like lower/middle League 1 players rather than out and out League 2 players

On top of that, we've signed guys who have recently won League 2 - Scott won it this season with Arbroath while McGuigan and the Dunlop brothers won it with Albion Rovers in 2014/15 - and their knowhow will be invaluable.

6 hours ago, Neilly said:

Good to have Marshy back on board we are building a right gang at the back which is pleasing.

Could see Kerr at Dumbarton or something like that especially since they have lost Buchanan to St Mirren.

I was coming in here to ask just that. Assuming we re-sign Barr, do you reckon he could do a decent job as Buchanan's replacement? 

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

Word on the street appears to be:

IN

Jamie Longworth

Martin Scott

Nathan Blockley 

Chris Smith 

AWAY

Graham Bowman 

Kieran Millar 

You guys are doing some superb business this summer. Get Longworth and Smith in and you'll have one of the strongest squads in the league.

Just now, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I was coming in here to ask just that. Assuming we re-sign Barr, do you reckon he could do a decent job as Buchanan's replacement? 

Yes. Gregor Buchanan's a better player in terms of his in-game intelligence and organisation but Fraser Kerr's got all the tools to make the step up to the Championship - he's big and strong and won't get pushed around, he's got a decent burst of pace over short distances, he's a safe passer of the ball, a threat at set-pieces and he can carry the ball out from the back.

With good players around him and someone to help him through matches he'd be an excellent signing for any part-time team.