Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

52 minutes ago, Jimbo21 said:

Cracking read FF. Will have to have a wee listen to those podcasts as well. 

We didn't renew the subscription in time so the only ones that are available are Colin McMenamin's two podcasts from February last year.

Nonetheless, if you're into some rock-solid Booth bashing then these podcasts are just the ticket!

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

Life comes at you fast.

It must have been a pretty horrendous season for Jack Smith but, in the few games he played at the beginning of the year, he looked nowhere near good enough for League 1 football. He wasn't particularly athletic or physical, nor was he an outstanding technician, and I think the management realised that early on. He might have scored 35 times for East Kilbride in 2015/16 but goals in the Lowland League must be the equivalent of dog years.

I hope he finds happiness somewhere else soon.

16 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We didn't renew the subscription in time so the only ones that are available are Colin McMenamin's two podcasts from February last year.

Nonetheless, if you're into some rock-solid Booth bashing then these podcasts are just the ticket!

i enjoyed listening to Colin talk. it was interesting to listen to him briefly touch on the fact that he's not particularly good technically but works his arse off and i think that's what enamours him to the fans, that and his goals of course. i imagine he probably had a bit more in his locker than hard work when he was in his prime. i first became aware of Colin in the (spoof) real Leigh Griffiths blog that was written by a Dundee supporter years ago. Dundee Barry i think the guys name was, pretty sure it got made into a book too. 

13 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

It must have been a pretty horrendous season for Jack Smith but, in the few games he played at the beginning of the year, he looked nowhere near good enough for League 1 football

In defence of the young lad, he never really got a chance as at the start of the season there weren't many of the players looked good enough for league 1. I'm not saying he would have done a job if he was playing but without an extended run, as a fan, you never know. Obviously the management team saw him in training as well and are better placed to make a decision than us. 

Edited by Jimbo21

I was surprised he returned to Stenhousemuir after his short loan spell at East Kilbride in the winter; I thought the club might have released him by that point. We'd brought in Oli Shaw and Ally Roy and he'd fallen way down the pecking order.

I wonder when we'll hear about the rest of the squad? I would have thought there'd have been an announcement made this week.

aye, it'd be good to hear something soon. i'd like to hope we can retain the majority of the team as i think if as much of the current squad as possible can be kept then they could do a good job in league 2. it's easier said than done when your getting pressed quickly and the game is being played at 100mph but when we get the ball on the deck, we have some good footballers and there were moments last season when we played and didn't knock the ball long at every opportunity and we looked decent. 

i wouldn't be surprised if the better players in the team had offers already but hopefully not and they slip under the radar.

Have you not heard anything FF? no tasty little rumours that you can share with forum?

Astonished and astounded that Smith has managed to sign for a L1 club.

Correct Waspie any opinion of players is completely disregarded anyway by Arbroath fans...

Smith was a baby at Arbroath and has obviously developed since then. I seen enough last season against a league one side (snigger) to know he can be an asset.

Don't say I didn't warn you then.
He got an awful lot of game time for us. Lightweight and completely useless.

League one side (snigger)...

[emoji23]

He was useless. Point still stands though I am never going to judge a player before he's signed for us based on what weapons on Pie and Bovril say.

Good luck for next season ya dick.

Have you not heard anything FF? no tasty little rumours that you can share with forum?

Rumours, and I must stress it is just rumours, on our forum that Sean Dickson is weighing up contracts from Stirling & Stenny and according to the Stirling Observer, he his holding out signing until he sees if more offers come in.

45 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Rumours, and I must stress it is just rumours, on our forum that Sean Dickson is weighing up contracts from Stirling & Stenny and according to the Stirling Observer, he his holding out signing until he sees if more offers come in.

I would thoroughly welcome Sean Dickson's return to Ochilview. A popular player, he would help galvanise the club after our relegation and he'd be a very capable player in League 2, especially if he can maintain his good form from the last few months. I think Stenhousemuir might be an attractive prospect to him - after two years playing in front of a miserable, vociferous Stirling Albion support, performing every second week in front of fans who hold him with genuine affection would appeal to him.

Would be good to have Sean back but Stirling will blow us out the water money wise.

I can't see it happening but would be a welcome boost for everyone at the club if it did materialise.

7 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I wonder when we'll hear about the rest of the squad? I would have thought there'd have been an announcement made this week.

Given our track record for giving out information don't hold your breath on any announcement.  From the manager's comments it appears he would like to resign most of the first team but I think the majority will hold out until they see what other offers come in.  This could leave us in a predicament of having to desperately sign players to put a squad together prior to the start of the season. Again we do not know how much money he will have available. Are we still short of money or back to previous levels - who knows? 

May be a case for offering more than 1 year contracts which in itself is  gamble.

I would thoroughly welcome Sean Dickson's return to Ochilview. A popular player, he would help galvanise the club after our relegation and he'd be a very capable player in League 2, especially if he can maintain his good form from the last few months. I think Stenhousemuir might be an attractive prospect to him - after two years playing in front of a miserable, vociferous Stirling Albion support, performing every second week in front of fans who hold him with genuine affection would appeal to him.

Dickson for the majority of his spell at the Albion was pish, the Albion were pish, so it was understandable the pelters he got. Since Mackay took over he's been one of our best players and you can tell we miss him when he's not playing. He knows he's now got the backing of the support.

No disrespect to Stenny, but he could do far better if he was to leave us and he kept his form from the end of the season. I personally would like him to stay, him and Robertson together could be a cracking partnership. We'll just have to wait and see though.

Right lads, here's the big news from Ochilview.

Stenhousemuir have signed Mark McGuigan for the season ahead. I've always found him to be a handy player and I've no doubt he'll do a solid turn for us in League 2. Liam McMaster, Paul Nash, Calum Runciman, Grant Hamilton, Liam McCroary and Jamie McCormack have all left the club while Mark Gilhaney has retired (although if you to ask some of the nuttier elements of our support, they'd tell you he retired a long time ago!)

A large number of last season's squad have been offered terms for the year ahead but I would imagine the better players have an eye on somewhere further up the food chain.

Right lads, here's the big news from Ochilview.
Stenhousemuir have signed Mark McGuigan for the season ahead. I've always found him to be a handy player and I've no doubt he'll do a solid turn for us in League 2. Liam McMaster, Paul Nash, Calum Runciman, Grant Hamilton, Liam McCroary and Jamie McCormack have all left the club while Mark Gilhaney has retired (although if you to ask some of the nuttier elements of our support, they'd tell you he retired a long time ago!)
A large number of last season's squad have been offered terms for the year ahead but I would imagine the better players have an eye on somewhere further up the food chain.

So far no complaints, gilhaney on his day was very solid, will be news some fans will relish, personally if have liked to have seen him another year. a lot of players didn't perform last season, yet he got the brunt of it.

Mcguigan will be a good addition and as you say FF, he should be a solid signing for league 2. Would like to see us add an extra striker and dependant on signings hopefully a goalkeeper, hopefully bowman for another year god help us if McCabe comes back. And a defender or two, midfield seemed to be our more consistent area out of the lot last season.

If we continue signing players of the same calibre of Mark McGuigan then I'm confident of a prosperous year ahead. Last season we had to wait until the middle of June before the club announced its first imports, so it's refreshing to see us bring in a good striker at this early juncture. Who the heck knows, it might even encourage boys like Fraser Kerr and Alan Cook to hang around (although I doubt it).

As for the players leaving, I doubt there will be any tearful laments. The boys signed from the Forth Valley Football Academy were never likely to be good enough and only joined the club to swell the numbers. I thought Grant Hamilton might have been worth retaining but apparently not, and I'd completely forgotten Liam McCroary was even a Stenhousemuir player.

There was probably no way back for Jamie McCormack after his performances in the 3-0 defeat to Albion Rovers and the thrashing at Stranraer. McCormack is a capable attacker and good set-piece threat but he's a dire defender with poor concentration and an inability to deal with balls over the top of his head. I hope his departure means Ross Meechan can re-establish hismself as the team's primary right-back - Meechan didn't have a great season last year but I think that was because he was shifted between a variety of positions and couldn't fulfil his best role for any length of time.

I feel a bit sorry for Mark Gilhaney. While I think it was right to conclude his time at Stenhousemuir, I don't think he was ever as bad as some people made out ("Moonglum25", I'm looking at you). He could be a frustrating player to watch and, particularly over the last few months, didn't appear to be very fit, but his effort was never in doubt. I think that, because he'd come to the club from the Championship with positive reviews from Dumbarton supporters, there was a level of expectation that he couldn't match. Gilhaney wasn't very fast, nor was he particularly skilful, and I think some people were disappointed he was no longer the flying winger he'd made his name as.

I hope everyone finds success wherever it is they go.

Can't disagree with any of the above really. I only saw Hamilton play in one home game and thought there was potential there but I do remember reading about what I think may have been his debut where he had an absolute shocker. 

Im assuming gilhaneys retirement is injury related? Could potentially explain why he looked so unfit over the last few games. 

I don't imagine McCormack will have much difficulty finding a club. he'll be remembered for his goal in the play offs last year. That's probably the nicest thing I can say. 

Hopefully they continue to keep getting their business done early. 

Good luck to Gils in his retirement. He had his critics at the Rock too, but he was a real grafter who fought for everything and, ever so often, popped up with a real moment of quality in the final third.

He also scored the goal that gave us our first win back in the 1st Division (as it was) against Cowdenbeath in November 2012 in front of about 200 folk.