Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Another bit of signing news at Stone Cold Stenhousemuir with former Falkirk midfielder Thomas Grant signed until the end of the season - CLICK.

Not sure if this guy's any good - our recruitment of ex-Falkirk players hasn't been too hot - but he seems like he's got a decent pedigree. I hope he does well for us and can help lead us away from the relegation places.

Another bit of signing news at Stone Cold Stenhousemuir with former Falkirk midfielder Thomas Grant signed until the end of the season - CLICK.
Not sure if this guy's any good - our recruitment of ex-Falkirk players hasn't been too hot - but he seems like he's got a decent pedigree. I hope he does well for us and can help lead us away from the relegation places.

We were linked with him, not surprised he has joined Stenny over us tbf.

Sounds like a good addition and probably spells the end for Stirling and Gilhaney, barring injuries. We don't really have a creative midfielder as Vincent and Miller are more of the combative type.

Perplexed that we effectively still only have two recognised centre halves on the books. 

1 hour ago, beaver1 said:

Sounds like a good addition and probably spells the end for Stirling and Gilhaney, barring injuries. We don't really have a creative midfielder as Vincent and Miller are more of the combative type.

Perplexed that we effectively still only have two recognised centre halves on the books. 

Agree that we badly need another centre half for the run in. No great loss if we do not see Stilring or that wee imposter Gilhaney again. We need a midfielder that can fit in with either Miller or Berry and have a bit of grit and determination about them.

Just noticed Thomas Grant has signed for Stenny. Signed for us on loan from Falkirk alongside Ryan McGeever and Liam Rowan in late January 2015, the very definition of panic signings. Showed glimpses of being a decent player and was obviously very technically gifted, but didn't really fit into our 4-4-2. His best position, imo, is in the hole behind the strikers. He's too small to play up front, and not quick enough to play on the wing. Good set piece taker. I hope he does well for you.

I've heard from a few people that Vinnie Berry will be leaving the club before the end of the season. He's had the opportunity to work in America and he's traveling in four or five weeks (apparently it's been on the cards for a while).

A goddamn shame as he's been our best player this season. Whoever takes his place in midfield has big shoes to fill.

53 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I've heard from a few people that Vinnie Berry will be leaving the club before the end of the season. He's had the opportunity to work in America and he's traveling in four or five weeks (apparently it's been on the cards for a while).

A goddamn shame as he's been our best player this season. Whoever takes his place in midfield has big shoes to fill.

Explains why Grant came on for him then. Thats disappointing.

That is a blow but hopefully we have a ready replacement with Thomas Grant. Also Stephen Stirling can play in there.

Would be more worried if it was Fraser Kerr. I think he has become the player we hoped he would be. He probably missed a strong partner at the start of the season but him and Marsh have become quite solid.

Gutted if that's true about berry as he really has become a mainstay in the middle of the park and deservedly made captain on the back of some good displays throughout the season and I was genuinely hoping that he and millar would be the centre midfield two for a good few years. I was more worried about losing him if we got relegated but if he's got an opportunity that's too good to turn down then we can only wish him all the best and hope it works out for him. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Byron29 said:

What do you all think so far this season it seems that stenny, linger in last place then make it safely away, but what do you think?

Don't think Stenny fans are going to come on here saying anything more than, the team are playing better let's see where that takes us! 

Important games coming up that will determine the placings come the end of the season, it's a case of who wants it most. 

The second division is pretty much the same now with Cowdenbeath fans hoping they have turned a corner. 

It's exiting from a neutral point of view but for fans of the club's near the bottom it's a roller-coaster ride that's going to the last fixtures before anything is decided. 

10 hours ago, Byron29 said:

What do you all think so far this season it seems that stenny, linger in last place then make it safely away, but what do you think?

I think so, I think this current group of players is capable of pulling away from the bottom and into safety. Having since added some quality signings to the ranks - Willis Furtado, Mason Robertson, David Marsh, Connor Duthie - we're now capable of holding our own against the rest of the division. For instance, had the league begun after we beat Queen's Park 3-0 at the end of October, we'd be in sixth place. Our awful start to the season hamstrung us but we've shown we're a lot better than that.

While this league is the most competitive in the country, we're also lucky that Peterhead and Albion Rovers have lost form at the worst possible time. A couple of months ago, both sides might have fancied themselves for the top four but now they're scrapping to stay in the division.

We've got a handful of difficult games remaining - Livingston away and East Fife at home - but the rest are absolutely doable. The match against Albion Rovers at the end of the month will be huge. There's still a lot of work to be done and I'm still realistic about our chances but I don't see why we can't stay up.

How has Marsh been for you guys? Was a big mistake to let him go IMO. Especially as we replaced him with Ross Perry.

He played midfield for us more often than not under Ferguson but he was solid at the back in his first season under Duffy.

7 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

How has Marsh been for you guys? Was a big mistake to let him go IMO. Especially as we replaced him with Ross Perry.

He played midfield for us more often than not under Ferguson but he was solid at the back in his first season under Duffy.

He's decent, nothing more, nothing less. He came into the team at the right time as we didn't have someone to partner Fraser Kerr at centre-back (Ross Meechan did his best but looked uncomfortable; he's far more effective at right-back than in the middle). I'm sure on his first match he cost us a goal with a dreadful back-pass. But no, Marsh has settled in well and has formed a solid partnership with Kerr and the pair have done well enough together. We certainly look a lot more sturdy with him in the team, that's for sure.

I'm surprised Clyde let him go, he would certainly have done a good job in League 2.

I think so, I think this current group of players is capable of pulling away from the bottom and into safety. Having since added some quality signings to the ranks - Willis Furtado, Mason Robertson, David Marsh, Connor Duthie - we're now capable of holding our own against the rest of the division. For instance, had the league begun after we beat Queen's Park 3-0 at the end of October, we'd be in sixth place. Our awful start to the season hamstrung us but we've shown we're a lot better than that.
While this league is the most competitive in the country, we're also lucky that Peterhead and Albion Rovers have lost form at the worst possible time. A couple of months ago, both sides might have fancied themselves for the top four but now they're scrapping to stay in the division.
We've got a handful of difficult games remaining - Livingston away and East Fife at home - but the rest are absolutely doable. The match against Albion Rovers at the end of the month will be huge. There's still a lot of work to be done and I'm still realistic about our chances but I don't see why we can't stay up.

You'll be well on your way to safety after we gift wrap another three points to you at the weekend.

I like Marsh. No nonsense. We needed someone competent to partner Fraser Kerr and he has done a pretty decent job. Kerr is certainly performing much, much better with Marsh alongside him.

Ironically, sounds like just the type of player we are missing. Our defence is a shambles.