Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

A welcome win against a limited Huntly side and progress to the third round of the cup - fair play to all involved! We controlled most of the match, save for one or two wobbly moments towards the end of the first half, and we created a good few chances without ever looking like we'd run over the top of them. Ross Lyon was fine at left-back and took his goal well; Adam Brown did well playing off the striker; and Nat Wedderburn played some nice passes here and there.

I'm still not convinced by the goalkeeper (although there was little he could have done with Huntly's goal, it was the kind of thing Ryan Marshall would have been bodied for) and I think we'll struggle up front until Robert Thomson's back in action. Tam Orr scored yesterday, poking the ball home from two yards out, but overall he wasn't aggressive enough, he didn't hold up the ball well, and there were a couple of occasions where he snatched at chances - for instance, towards the end of the game, he had the opportunity to slide in Darren Christie for a straightforward finish but hit the ball into a crowd of defenders instead.

Special mention to Frazer Wright who told supporters to "fuck off" in response to someone shouting "that's not good enough" as he walked off the pitch at the interval. Maybe it's just me, but drawing with a mediocre Highland League side isn't all that great! It's not the first time Wright's mouthed off like this.

I'm disappointed out match with Albion Rovers next weekend has been postponed as I think we'd have had a decent chance to push on up the table, but who do you complain to about it!

Didn't think we looked like losing yesterday but despite the scoreline we should have been a lot better. That was the chance to show we could play high tempo attaching football but again failed to do so.  Not impressed with Forbes or Anderson and Orr,  despite his goal, still looks off his pace.  Again yesterday we fucked about at the back until we lost the goal. At half time had the feeling if we did not score early on we may become shaky and concede, thankfully that did not happen.

If Frazer Wright and Co think that was a competent first half then they can f**k off. Pity help them the next time we are poor, they should remember we were playing against a poor HL team and not really impressing.

Mixed feelings about Albion Rovers game being postponed but at least we lose a week where we will not miss Robert Thomson.

Still a long way to go before I can feel confident in the management team.

15 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Huntly are one of the worst teams I've seen us play in a long time but glad to get through.

Really pleased to see Brown get a couple of goals and MOTM. He really is a terrific player. He always looks to move the ball forward quickly either with a quick pass or forward run, something we often lack.

He looks the part as a ten as opposed to a winger. Must be 4 assists and 4 goals so far which is excellent considering we are a team near the bottom and he hasn't started every game.

Hopefully him and O'Reilly can remain hot in the coming weeks until we get Thommo back.

I thought we did well yesterday. Even at 1-1 I never thought we wouldn’t win. Swift said it himself that we aren’t clinical enough. We miss too many chances with Orr the biggest culprit yesterday. It’s three games unbeaten so maybe the tide is turning.

Wasn’t aware of the comments from Wright but honestly, they’ve been given an easy time of things given how poor we’ve been. Suspect there’s a bit of good cop/bad cop going on between Swift and Wright but certainly it’s not needed.

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

He looks the part as a ten as opposed to a winger. Must be 4 assists and 4 goals so far which is excellent considering we are a team near the bottom and he hasn't started every game.

Hopefully him and O'Reilly can remain hot in the coming weeks until we get Thommo back.

Aye, agree with the comments about Adam Brown. I like watching him play and like the way he carries himself, with his head on a swivel and his chest puffed, and he seems to have settled into his role as a shadow striker. Long may it continue.

Another positive from yesterday is we seem to have a settled XI now - when everyone's fit and available, we know broadly how we'll be starting matches. This was a criticism of the manager earlier in the campaign and it's good know we've finally have a bit of consistency there.

Special mention to Frazer Wright who told supporters to "f**k off" in response to someone shouting "that's not good enough" as he walked off the pitch at the interval.

Some things will never change, Wright likes to mouth off at supporters, it’s what he does!

First Post! 

There were quite a few positives in yesterday's game but it still feels that we lack cohesion. 

Ross Lyon was solid at left back, tremendous finish for his goal. Jamieson won pretty much everything in the air and was solid.  

Euan O'Bruyne is easily becoming our best player. His movement off the ball with his ability to take the initiative, turn, drive up the park and maintain possession is fantastic to watch and is a welcoming relief from the mundane slow predictable passing given by Wedderburn and Forbes. That being said, it's much better without Hughes being involved.

In fact, that was the first game I was impressed by Forbes. He never lost the ball, used his body positioning well, played some great passes in behind the defence and showed a lot of composure holding up play, all be it against a poor Huntly side. Not sure about him being out on the right though and still waiting for that Worldie free-kick.

I thought Crighton was shocking yesterday. His passing was frantic, at one point he tried to clear the ball like Danny LaRusso and completely failed. He seems a bit unhinged and needs to calm the f**k down. 

Wilson is a no bad shot stopper, decent distribution but his size is an issue and effects his presence in the box. You feel he's always going to fail to collect from corners or be lobbed. We need Buzz back or another keeper.

Tam Orr put in effort but was rash, almost trying to force play or chances rather than maintain possession and build up play. His moment will come, delighted he got a goal. He is a good player in my eyes, just isn't working for him just now. 

Two things, my kids absolutely love coming to Ochilview but why does no one sing any more? Stenny has never been a cauldron of atmosphere but I think some support goes a long way. The wee lads at our end were funny. 

And, what's happened to Jon Craig?

Frazer Wright in bell end shocker! Colour me amazed. The guy has always been, and I suspect always will be, a massive, massive tit.

Not really on if he's having a pop at the fans after a start to the season like this mind, but I'd don't expect any less from the likes of him.

The club have posted some injury updates on social media:

• Robert Thomson will be absent for between six and eight weeks with ligament damage
  • Graeme Smith has had a setback in his recovery and won't be available until December
  • The lesser-spotted Jon Craig is out for a further three weeks with a broken collarbone
  • Jordan Tapping is unavailable, awaiting further assessment

We had all anticipated that Thomson would be out until mid-to-late December, but that still doesn't make it any easier. A huge loss to the team.

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

How he was not the sponsor's man of the match is unreal.  If he keeps playing like that he will not be around much longer - offer him a new contract now.

In fairness Jamieson (and Crighton) were collosal at the back it was a close run thing out there due to so many good performances. O'Reilly is a special talent though, enjoy him while he's here as I can't see it being for too long. So dangerous on either foot and you can see a real sense of fear for every full back that is up against him now. He's not just a flair player either he works like a dog for the team which you need as well the higher the level you play at.

It's really coming together nicely now. The defence and keeper are solid, Nat is running the midfield and our flair players are now at the party. If we can continue to keep playing like this, once we get Thommo back I will be surprised if we don't make the play offs but really second place is pretty realistic now. We are red hot baby.

Another ridicilous cameo from Beejay today as well he was different class when he came on that turn on the half way line was the best thing I've seen at Ochilview since McGuigan dispatched the fourth against Falkirk.

28 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

How he was not the sponsor's man of the match is unreal.  If he keeps playing like that he will not be around much longer - offer him a new contract now.

I liked O’Reilly at Airdrie, he was very raw but clearly had some good raw attributes which he just wasn’t able to put together consistently. I would happily have kept him on at Airdrie as a backup option to change the game if we needed it but dropping down a league and getting regular game time seems to have been the best move for him. I went to the game on Tuesday night and was really impressed with him, he was probably the best player on the park for me. One way or another I’m confident he’ll be back up a level next season.