Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Yeah, judging by updates from the game, it appears we played like a crock of shit. I didn't understand the starting XI, nor did I understand hooking two players two minutes before the interval, but it certainly tempers the optimism after last week's win at Annan Athletic.

As Vimto90 above me writes, we have two colossal fixtures ahead of us.

Can't blame the board for providing the manager with the budget we have.

That was as bad as anything I've seen in 20 odd years and 6 or 7-0 would not be unjust.

If we continue to play players on name value then we are in bother. Taking off Corbett instead of Crighton was a disgrace. Why are we even touching a back four that has looked so good the last few weeks? It's awful management a blind man could see our issues today.

3 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Can't blame the board for providing the manager with the budget we have.

That was as bad as anything I've seen in 20 odd years and 6 or 7-0 would not be unjust.

If we continue to play players on name value then we are in bother. Taking off Corbett instead of Crighton was a disgrace. Why are we even touching a back four that has looked so good the last few weeks? It's awful management a blind man could see our issues today.

You’re spot on in relation to today and the management.  The performance was, by and large, abject and the management is abysmal.

The board, whilst providing what we’re led to believe is a generous budget, authorised a 3 year contract for an unproven manager coming from a league with a massive disparity between teams.  Our board get a very easy ride.  We’ve had some minor successes and enjoyment over the last the 7 years, but the majority of their decisions over this period have been poor at best.

Recruitment for lower league clubs can be a lottery at times. Stenny seem to be having the negatives of a high turnover. Swift seems not to know his best team. Cowden are still struggling because we kept most of the jobbers from last season.  

Cannot be easy for the boards running our clubs.  

Edited by CowdenPhil
Grammar

1 hour ago, warriors21 said:

You’re spot on in relation to today and the management.  The performance was, by and large, abject and the management is abysmal.

The board, whilst providing what we’re led to believe is a generous budget, authorised a 3 year contract for an unproven manager coming from a league with a massive disparity between teams.  Our board get a very easy ride.  We’ve had some minor successes and enjoyment over the last the 7 years, but the majority of their decisions over this period have been poor at best.

I don't know the ins and outs of it but I doubt it's just a straight forward three year deal. There must be caveats.

Swift won't see three years if this continues that's for sure. The direction of the team is nowhere to be seen. High intensity football and full backs bombing on isn't possible with the personell we are playing which makes it perplexing.

I'm still behind the manager and we have two games to come but he needs to learn from what he is watching sooner than later. It's so obvious it's galling.

He seems to be making a lot of mistakes.
Marshall, why did he sign him in the first place? It shouldn’t have taken “that goal” for him to see what everyone else could.

Craig Reid? At least he managed to get rid of him quickly enough.

Bringing Crichton in yesterday was fine, but why then shift Corbett out. And then to leave Crichton on the park at the expense of Corbett beggared belief. Was Crichton fit to play?

Ross Forbes at right mid? Eh? 

What is he doing with Adam Brown? Looks decent playing off the striker and then starts playing him out wide where he is anonymous.
And a team featuring Coll, Anderson and Tierney will get us relegated. He talks about a big squad but let’s be honest, a lot of them are jersey fillers who are actually getting a game in the starting line up.

We started the season well enough but weren’t getting the results we deserved. Now he seems to have hit the panic button and doesn’t seem to know what he is doing. By all accounts we were lucky at Annan and we were lucky yesterday it wasn’t more. That performance, particularly in the first half was as bad as anything I’ve seen. Many more like that and unbelievably  we will be back in the new manager market.

Edited by Nigel Blackwell

Watched the interview and hearing the same old stuff.  You signed the players, you should know what your best line up is, you are setting the tactics.  Why did he take so long to dump Marshall? I would suggest he has 2 games to save his job. 2 more defeats and I am sorry he should be shown the door and the board really need to explain their thinking when signing a manager.

Not once this season have we put a team under pressure for any length of time, you look at the fixture list and cannot see where we may get points, it is really depressing and desperate stuff.

1 hour ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

He seems to be making a lot of mistakes.
Marshall, why did he sign him in the first place? It shouldn’t have taken “that goal” for him to see what everyone else could.

Craig Reid? At least he managed to get rid of him quickly enough.

Bringing Crichton in yesterday was fine, but why then shift Corbett out. And then to leave Crichton on the park at the expense of Corbett beggared belief. Was Crichton fit to play?

Ross Forbes at right mid? Eh? 

What is he doing with Adam Brown? Looks decent playing off the striker and then starts playing him out wide where he is anonymous.
And a team featuring Coll, Anderson and Tierney will get us relegated. He talks about a big squad but let’s be honest, a lot of them are jersey fillers who are actually getting a game in the starting line up.

We started the season well enough but weren’t getting the results we deserved. Now he seems to have hit the panic button and doesn’t seem to know what he is doing. By all accounts we were lucky at Annan and we were lucky yesterday it wasn’t more. That performance, particularly in the first half was as bad as anything I’ve seen. Many more like that and unbelievably  we will be back in the new manager market.

There are a lot of interesting points in here. I wasn't at yesterday's match but I have watched the match highlights (which appear as though they were filmed by the team who brought you The Blair Witch Project).

When I saw the starting XI, I was surprised to see Sean Crighton back in the team with Adam Corbett shifted out to right-back to accommodate the captain. This tactic worked well enough against Annan Athletic last weekend and allowed us to see out the final 17 minutes, but I have no idea why the manager saw fit to utilise it from the start against Stranraer. Corbett and Nicky Jamieson looked as though they were developing a decent partnership at centre-back, while Crighton, I'm sorry to say, has been roundly disappointing since he joined the club. He seems to make everyone around him play worse and, on top of that, doesn't seem fit at the moment.

It was interesting to listen to Stephen Swift's rationale for making a double change in the 43rd minute. "I could have taken anybody off," he said in his post-match interview. Fair enough, Corbett and Mikey Anderson might have been playing poorly, but you're hooking two of the youngest, quietest, most low-maintenance players in the team, so it's easy to embarrass them (because that's essentially what making two non-enforced changes before the interval is, an embarrassment). If Swift wanted to send a message, he would have substituted Crighton or Forbes but that's a trickier thing to do with greater consequences.

I've said it numerous times in this thread but the manager's signings have been largely poor. He said in first interview that he wanted to play a high-intensity brand of football with his full-backs pushing high up the pitch - that all sounds great, but then why bring in a squad of players who can't fit into your preferred system? No-one really looks comfortable in their role (the goalkeeper and the centre-backs aside, maybe). The squad is large but it's unbalanced and lacking in key areas. There's no point in talking up your squad depth when you're third-choice striker is Ryan Tierney. Too many players are underperforming but there's no-one credible to come in and replace them. I don't think the manager knows what his best XI is and that's why we're seeing players coming in and out of the team on a weekly basis. There are times when I think he's second guessing himself and overcomplicating things (fielding Corbett at right-back yesterday, for example), and there are times he gets it plain wrong. The thing is, I don't know what our best XI is either - I honestly cannot think of a system or a formation to get the best out of the players we have.

I haven't lost the faith in Swift yet but I haven't really seen anything to suggest we're moving in the right direction. Yeah, it was great to beat Annan but we followed that up with arguably the worst showing of the season so far. If we don't take, say, seven points from our next four matches then I think we're going to have to sit down and have a serious conversation about what's gone wrong this season.

17 hours ago, Vimto90 said:

Didn't end up going to this but deary me looked & sounded grim from the updates I got. David Wilson saved 2 penalties as well.

1 step forward. 2 steps back. As alluded in previous post it's ok stealing a win when you play bad like last week but can't do that consistently.

Next two home games are HUGE.

What was that you were saying about enjoying bottom?

47 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:
1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:
What was that you were saying about enjoying bottom?

I said enjoy bottom as you guys went bottom and you are now retorting as we are back bottom again. Think I have that right.

No you've just good big feet.

Thank goodness for Stenny.

Obviously things aren't going to well for Stenny at the moment, but it's good to see David Wilson in the team and even better to see that he saved two penalties on Saturday. I thought he looked very good at Clyde and fair play to him for wanting to get first team football and it seems that he's now getting what he wanted.

Somewhat ironically I read the news of his penalty saves just after watching the highlights of the Clyde vs QP game where big Parry let a Longridge shot from about 30 yards which was travelling at approx. 3 kph trickle past him. Just a bump in the road for Parry but did laugh.

1 minute ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Obviously things aren't going to well for Stenny at the moment, but it's good to see David Wilson in the team and even better to see that he saved two penalties on Saturday. I thought he looked very good at Clyde and fair play to him for wanting to get first team football and it seems that he's now getting what he wanted.

Somewhat ironically I read the news of his penalty saves just after watching the highlights of the Clyde vs QP game where big Parry let a Longridge shot from about 30 yards which was travelling at approx. 3 mph trickle past him. Just a bump in the road for Parry but did laugh.

Edited by Brian Carrigan
Mixing up imperial and metric measurements, embarrassing stuff