Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Don't know how much I can say regarding the BTS stuff to do with the signing but we as the media team were told a time had been agreed for both clubs to share the news, an issue with the paperwork came up and we as the media team weren't informed in time, hence the post. 

I was really worried before the game, and whilst we looked a bit shaky the first ten minutes we improved after that. Div Wilson looked good in goals, definitely lucky on occasions but also not as troubled as often as I had expected. Where I thought he was excellent was his communication. Maybe because the ground was so quiet but he was constantly talking to his teammates. This was the first game Iv seen live this season so not much to compare it too but I was surprised how good we actually played, that’s meant as a compliment. We still clearly need a win to get moving but I was far more assured after the performance.

Looks like he is keeping an eye on the pie sales

Best player I ever saw for the warriors. Used to go to watch the match but also to see him play, see what saves he could pull off each week.

We had a few good keepers after him - ray dunlop (to hearts) and lindsay hamilton (to rangers)

1 hour ago, true fan said:

Looks like he is keeping an eye on the pie sales

Best player I ever saw for the warriors. Used to go to watch the match but also to see him play, see what saves he could pull off each week.

We had a few good keepers after him - ray dunlop (to hearts) and lindsay hamilton (to rangers)

Got to agree. After some comedians in goals we had him and he was indeed a treat to watch apart from Wembley.  You also forgot to include Neil Alexander.

On the subject of Roddy McKenzie, that's reminded me of something I always wondered about. I have vague memory of it being some kind of covert loan deal, whereby we technically signed him on a free and then "sold" him back on a free to Hearts at the end of the season. Just remember it being all a bit hush, with neither side actually using the word "loan deal", even though it was widely known amongst fans that it was.

There was even an article in one of the daily rags before a cup game I think,  about him being on the books at Hearts as their "groundskeeper", complete with a picture of him taking a pair of scissors to the Tynecastle turf. Anyone remember the ins and outs of it? 

Was a good feeling to secure the win. Probably a stretch to say was deserved but will take it allllll day long. The defence were solid & after taking some criticism Swift deserves credit for the Crighton sub that worked a treat to see the win out, even if last few mins were nervy.

Robert Thomson is so good and playing below his level for sure. Will start adding goals no doubts.

Happy for the team & gaffer. They have took the flack at times over last few weeks & rightly so but the team has always put a shift in & hopefully can kick on now.

5 hours ago, Vimto90 said:

Was a good feeling to secure the win. Probably a stretch to say was deserved but will take it allllll day long. The defence were solid & after taking some criticism Swift deserves credit for the Crighton sub that worked a treat to see the win out, even if last few mins were nervy.

Robert Thomson is so good and playing below his level for sure. Will start adding goals no doubts.

Happy for the team & gaffer. They have took the flack at times over last few weeks & rightly so but the team has always put a shift in & hopefully can kick on now.

You're right, it feels fantastic to finally get the first win of the campaign. I don't think we particularly deserved all three points but that doesn't matter - I hope this can be a springboard to climb up the table and push for the top four.  Other than the game against Kelty Hearts, we haven't been thrashed (although Ryan Marshall's performance that afternoon had a lot to do with it) and we probably could and should have taken more from the previous matches. From what I've seen so far, there are no other standout sides in the division; every side should be aspiring to finish in the play-off places, including ourselves.

The tactical switch midway through the second half was interesting - I thought Stephen Swift might have overcomplicated things by shifting Adam Corbett to right-back to make way for Sean Crighton but, by and large, it worked and we were able to keep Annan Athletic at bay and hold out for the win. David Wilson made a big difference in goals and even although he's not the most imposing of 'keepers, he did what he needed to do, organised his defence well and played his part in the win. It was interesting listening to him order around his backline - standing behind the goals in the game against Edinburgh City, I don't think I heard Marshall instructing anyone around once. Marshall's signing should be investigated by a Fifa anti-corruption taskforce because I still can't get my head around how he pitched up at Ochilview.

I'd also agree with your point about Robert Thomson. Every time I've seen him, he looks so far ahead of everyone around him and the way he was able to shift between the two defenders and find Adam Brown for our second goal was so good. I wish I could say the same thing about Tam Orr, who's really looked out of sorts since he joined the club - although he scored, he spent most of yesterday's game in offside positions and didn't really contribute much. I think we have an overreliance on Thomson up front and we need Orr, Brown, Darren Christie and Euan O'Reilly to contribute on a more frequent basis than they're doing just now.

I'm pumped for next week's game against Stranraer. If we win this, it puts a wee bit of space between ourselves and the foot of the table, so it's imperative we go there and show the same battling qualities we did yesterday.

Didn't end up going to this but deary me looked & sounded grim from the updates I got. David Wilson saved 2 penalties as well.

1 step forward. 2 steps back. As alluded in previous post it's ok stealing a win when you play bad like last week but can't do that consistently.

Next two home games are HUGE.