Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Just now, Vimto90 said:
6 minutes ago, Passionate said:
Fantastic captain and leader and during the last 12 months of madness kept a young squad  really tight and was always there for boys who were struggling a bit......

On the downside he is an old fashioned centre Half , kick it long and head it longer....

What's needed at this level so not sure how it's a downside fella.

Agree I am as old school as they come,  who do you have up top target man or forwards working the flanks

13 hours ago, Christophe said:

I do like the design ones, but as they are the same as our home top I've went for the lovely clean white choice 1 for the away. Would be good to see what the short/sock colours for each are though  

Option 3 looks good but hopefully with the same colour of shorts and socks

Praticality plays a big part for me - I like the Black one but also really liked the current away one and as somebody whose kids come back with their white shorts and tops absolutley filthy after playing on grass on a Saturday (or it seems every other day just now) I wouldn't buy the all away white kit if that is how it went -anyway really like the Home Kit and excited to be back with an all new look team and looking forward to physically being at a game.

Disappointed to lose Tapps and that must be one of the shortest tenires of a club captain Ive seen.

COYW

The new "Inside Ochilview" newsletter has just been published. There's nothing revelatory in there other than the author doesn't know Darren Christie was signed from Pollok (not Pollock) and we're still in talks with Paul Brown and Callum Erskine about new contracts for the season ahead. I'm not sure why it's taking so long to get kiddies to agree to sweetie papers for a year but fair play all the same.

I'm still intrigued by the details of Callum Tapping's contract that allowed him to walkaway midway through a two-year deal. I wonder if we'll get an explanation at some point.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm still intrigued by the details of Callum Tapping's contract that allowed him to walkaway midway through a two-year deal. I wonder if we'll get an explanation at some point.

Perhaps a condition was if a club, in addition to playing, offered a coaching role. Cannot think what else would be included and presumably EC are not full time.

1 minute ago, Moonglum25 said:

Perhaps a condition was if a club, in addition to playing, offered a coaching role. Cannot think what else would be included and presumably EC are not full time.

I thought his contract might have had the option for him to walk away if Stenhousemuir failed to finish in the top four, but who knows!

Callum Erskine has joined Dumbarton:

It's probably for the good of his own development. If he had stayed at Stenhousemuir, he would have been our back-up goalkeeper, and then third choice whenever Graeme Smith retains fitness, so I'm pleased he's moving somewhere he's likely to feature with greater regularity. (That said, if Sam Ramsbottom stays on at the Rock, Erskine will most certainly be their reserve goalkeeper for the year ahead.)

It's a pain in the arse for us because we need to sign up a goalie for three or four months but I'm sure we've got the very best people on the case!

Yeah, we have waited around for him for weeks and considering he was mentioned in the newsletter in last day or so it was still on or so we thought.

Surely be some biff hanging about happy to sit on bench.

5 hours ago, Happy Pebble said:

That would be a decent signing - surprised Airdrie letting him go - Swift had him at BSC so knows what he gets.

I believe we offered O’Reilly a contract, he wasn’t on our initial released list and was only announced as leaving earlier this week alongside Paul McKay who seems to he away to Queen of the South. 

I guess O’Reilly’s left Airdrie to get regular game time, something which he got towards the end of last season but probably wasn’t guaranteed for next year. He’s very quick, raw and direct but doesn’t quite know how to put all of that together yet. I think there is a decent player in there but other than his spell at BSC he hasn’t played a great deal of first-team football.

He joined Airdrie on loan in the 2019/20 season and looked alright in a few appearances early in the season but he picked up a bad injury and was out for the rest of the season. We signed him permanently last summer and he never really got much of a chance until after the restart, one of his few starts early in the season was actually the cup game at Ochilview where he was pretty poor. He came into the team for five or six games after the restart in March and looked quite promising, very quick and direct but no real end product unfortunately. He picked up another injury and didn’t play again until the play-off final against Morton where he started in central midfield. He looked really out of his depth in both games but a lot of that is probably the full team looking exhausted and O’Reilly’s skillset clearly not being suited to a central midfielder. 

He’ll certainly add some much need pace to a midfield containing Forbes and Wedderburn and I think with a run of games he could do pretty well in League Two. I wouldn’t expect much in the way of goals and assists but he’ll cause defenders a lot of problems with his pace. Now that I think about it, as far as wide players go he’s pretty much the opposite of Ross Forbes, so maybe they’ll actually work quite well together.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

I believe we offered O’Reilly a contract, he wasn’t on our initial released list and was only announced as leaving earlier this week alongside Paul McKay who seems to he away to Queen of the South. 

I guess O’Reilly’s left Airdrie to get regular game time, something which he got towards the end of last season but probably wasn’t guaranteed for next year. He’s very quick, raw and direct but doesn’t quite know how to put all of that together yet. I think there is a decent player in there but other than his spell at BSC he hasn’t played a great deal of first-team football.

He joined Airdrie on loan in the 2019/20 season and looked alright in a few appearances early in the season but he picked up a bad injury and was out for the rest of the season. We signed him permanently last summer and he never really got much of a chance until after the restart, one of his few starts early in the season was actually the cup game at Ochilview where he was pretty poor. He came into the team for five or six games after the restart in March and looked quite promising, very quick and direct but no real end product unfortunately. He picked up another injury and didn’t play again until the play-off final against Morton where he started in central midfield. He looked really out of his depth in both games but a lot of that is probably the full team looking exhausted and O’Reilly’s skillset clearly not being suited to a central midfielder. 

He’ll certainly add some much need pace to a midfield containing Forbes and Wedderburn and I think with a run of games he could do pretty well in League Two. I wouldn’t expect much in the way of goals and assists but he’ll cause defenders a lot of problems with his pace. Now that I think about it, as far as wide players go he’s pretty much the opposite of Ross Forbes, so maybe they’ll actually work quite well together.

I totally agree with that. I think he could work out very well for yourselves. I believe we offered him a contract, as said above, but dropping down a level to get a run of regular games is probably exactly what he needs so good on him for taking that step. He’s quick, tricky, direct and able to take the ball into dangerous areas of the park, which at this level makes him threat. His final ball is pretty dreadful - almost so bad it makes you laugh - but he’s still only 21 and he’s barely played first team football so there’s plenty of time for that to develop. He’s had rotten luck with injuries. At least two bad injuries during his time with us and I’m sure he had one whilst still at St Johnstone too so I hope he can catch a break in that regard. I’m not sure a midfield with any combination of O’Reilly, Brown, Wedderburn and Forbes will be particularly hardworking but I hope and believe he will do well for you. Just don’t play him through the middle. 

Back down to earth with Dal C.

Unfair really as never seen him play but a 33 year old who has played 8 senior games doesn't get ye excited.

Imagine on pittance and bit part player. Wonder if hoppy might be away or seen as a winger primarily.
I wondered correctly

David Hopkirk has left the club:

I'm not too fussed about this, to be honest. I was surprised he was awarded a two-year contract last summer and I think he only flickered over the course of the season. I'd like to think we can reinvest his wage in another forward, ideally someone with a bit of SPFL experience.

I wish Hopkirk well.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

He hardly kicked a ball last season. I was wondering if he had an significant injury or his heart wasn’t in it as much. Very good for us the season before - much needed goals.

is he retiring then? Fair enough if he is. Hope he doesn’t walk away from us then run out the Ochilview tunnel in a Stirling Albion shirt in a couple months time.

39 minutes ago, true fan said:

He hardly kicked a ball last season. I was wondering if he had an significant injury or his heart wasn’t in it as much.

He got injured after the first few games then caught as he was about to return, when he was getting back to fitness the suspension happened.