Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

You are correct regarding hughes/Anderson but Forbes/Nat/Brown/Miller/ J Lyon. All can play there too. I'm probably being a bit impatient due to the glaring issues elsewhere. I suppose won't do any harm likely as will be paying pittance at worst.

The GK situ is a broken record but it really is staggering we are left with what we are. Wilson was signed as back up and to play challenge cup and is now No.1 because the actual No.1 is even worse. Wild situation.

But "we can't keep making the same mistakes" apparently

Be interesting to see how Moreland gets on. Believe hes been training with our first team this season and made the bench for our game away to Galatasaray. Only time I've head a description of him was when our manager profiled him as "high energy", which is beautifully vague.

10 hours ago, Vimto90 said:

You are correct regarding hughes/Anderson but Forbes/Nat/Brown/Miller/ J Lyon. All can play there too. I'm probably being a bit impatient due to the glaring issues elsewhere. I suppose won't do any harm likely as will be paying pittance at worst.

The GK situ is a broken record but it really is staggering we are left with what we are. Wilson was signed as back up and to play challenge cup and is now No.1 because the actual No.1 is even worse. Wild situation.

From all the players you've listed there, the only two you could trust to play in the "double pivot" role are Nat Wedderburn and Mikey Miller. Declan Hughes and Michael Anderson aren't good enough, Ross Forbes and Adam Brown are better used further forward as part of the attacking three, and James Lyon has been a major disappointment and has left no impression on the team since scoring a cracking goal against Dumbarton in the League Cup.

As you say, Spencer Moreland is likely to be on a pittance and I can't really foresee a time when he'll get a lot of minutes, but he's probably a useful addition all the same.

Up next: Wullie Muir on loan from Queen's Park for the remainder of the season, please!

On 02/01/2022 at 22:45, Vimto90 said:

Do they have a first team goalie coach at Stenny?

4 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Harry Stone recalled by Hearts from his loan at Partick Thistle. Could he be our goalkeeping solution?

I was thinking that myself! I'm not sure if Heart of Midlothian would want to loan him out to League 2 after he's spent six months in the Championship but he's worth inquiring about all the same.

According to Inside Ochilview, Jon Craig has left the club and returned to Kilmarnock.

I think it's fair to say his signing has been thoroughly underwhelming. One appearance in the Challenge Cup against Dundee United's children's side, and that's it!

I wonder if we'll bring in someone else in his place?

I wouldn't have thought so we don't need cover in that area.

He would have been  brought in at the time to replace Mills and compete with Coll but now we have Lyon with Coll back up there's no need for another left back option.

I know it's a waiting game in the January window, bigger teams making moves and all that but I'm shitein' myself about Marshall starting!! We need to get a keeper in.

Wonder if Martin or Mutch would take 6 month guaranteed first team work 😅. Bad even considering Mutch but still an improvement. 

I thought that we would have a new keeper by this point. Surely he cannot believe that Marshall and Wilson are still the answers after all this time.  If we fail to bring in a new keeper and the existing two cost us then he should be shown the door. It is rank incompetence to continue with them.

I thought that we would have a new keeper by this point. Surely he cannot believe that Marshall and Wilson are still the answers after all this time.  If we fail to bring in a new keeper and the existing two cost us then he should be shown the door. It is rank incompetence to continue with them.
Whilst I agree, budget could be the stumbling block.

If however there is money to spend then a better GK has to be made an un-negotiable priority.

23 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

We can really be an entitled bunch at times and I'm not sure why. We are the diddiest of diddy teams and haven't won a league in our history.

It won't be as easy to just go out and get another keeper. We already have three on the books, one of which is probably on a decent wedge, injured and thus no one will want him.

We can't seriously run with four keepers surely if one is coming in we need to get rid of one. We have to operate within budget this isn't Championship Manager unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

We can really be an entitled bunch at times and I'm not sure why. We are the diddiest of diddy teams and haven't won a league in our history.

It won't be as easy to just go out and get another keeper. We already have three on the books, one of which is probably on a decent wedge, injured and thus no one will want him.

We can't seriously run with four keepers surely if one is coming in we need to get rid of one. We have to operate within budget this isn't Championship Manager unfortunately.

You have got to seriously consider that Buzz will not be back between the sticks any time soon, if at all. Surely the club have had a medical assessment done on him and will know the prognosis and timescales. 

A new keeper may well be the difference between a play off spot or not. Had we been bottom of the table I think money would have been found to have brought a keeper in.  As Nigel Blackwell says above there are a number of players who could be encouraged to leave at this time and that would free up some money.

I think the thought is all is well until the next time Marshall has a calamity, then we will bring in Wilson until the same happens to him.  Neither keeper instills confidence and both in my opinion will cost us over the remaining games. Would dearly like to be proved wrong but on the evidence we have seen so far. 

Swift seems very reluctant to get rid of his mistakes as can be seen by the continual playing of Crighton.

Hopefully nothing will come back to bite us this afternoon.

I do agree with your sentiment on needing a keeper but I'm just saying it's probably not as easy as it happening without moving players out and if those players don't want moved out you're at a stalemate.