Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

24 minutes ago, Neilly said:

In fairness Jamieson (and Crighton) were collosal at the back it was a close run thing out there due to so many good performances. O'Reilly is a special talent though, enjoy him while he's here as I can't see it being for too long. So dangerous on either foot and you can see a real sense of fear for every full back that is up against him now. He's not just a flair player either he works like a dog for the team which you need as well the higher the level you play at.

It's really coming together nicely now. The defence and keeper are solid, Nat is running the midfield and our flair players are now at the party. If we can continue to keep playing like this, once we get Thommo back I will be surprised if we don't make the play offs but really second place is pretty realistic now. We are red hot baby.

Another ridicilous cameo from Beejay today as well he was different class when he came on that turn on the half way line was the best thing I've seen at Ochilview since McGuigan dispatched the fourth against Falkirk.

good to see O Reilly doing well with yourselves, he was a player Airdrie wanted to keep and offered the lad a new deal, but chose Stenny not long after the end of last season,  he was pretty much a regular in League 1 last season,  reminded me of a young Darren Henderson..

Will we good to see a few old heads in a fortnight, possible banana 🍌

Alright lads, great form recently from you lot. Good to see you pulling away from the bottom.

How's Michael Miller been getting on at Ochilview? It never really worked much for him at Ayr but thought he had the potential to be a standout in L2. At the time the loan move seemed best for all parties, has he been a regular and part of the good form? Or does it seem he may be at his level now?

9 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Alright lads, great form recently from you lot. Good to see you pulling away from the bottom.

How's Michael Miller been getting on at Ochilview? It never really worked much for him at Ayr but thought he had the potential to be a standout in L2. At the time the loan move seemed best for all parties, has he been a regular and part of the good form? Or does it seem he may be at his level now?

He's just a really solid operator at right back. Has been a big part in our upturn in fortunes and is now part of a settled back four. Can do a job in midfield, which he did latterly in the game today, but primarily a full back for me.

There's nothing fancy but just positionally astute and no one has really got the better of him apart from a brief 20 minute spell against Charlie Reilly midweek. He's comfortable at this level but could play league one easily at full back as he showed with Raith when they won the league.

Edited by Neilly

3 hours ago, Neilly said:

He's just a really solid operator at right back. Has been a big part in our upturn in fortunes and is now part of a settled back four. Can do a job in midfield, which he did latterly in the game today, but primarily a full back for me.

There's nothing fancy but just positionally astute and no one has really got the better of him apart from a brief 20 minute spell against Charlie Reilly midweek. He's comfortable at this level but could play league one easily at full back as he showed with Raith when they won the league.

Glad to hear he is doing well, if possible i would probably take him back in the team just now, can't be worse than what we have. We are desperate for a solid right back.

29 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

We signed Aidan McIlduff who was at yous last season. Seems to be a good player. Was he not good enough for league2?

Not really, no. We signed Aidan McIlduff in 2019 after an unremarkable spell at Berwick Rangers but he didn't make much of (or any?) impression during his time at Stenhousemuir. He played in our League Cup group stages and made two early league appearances but picked up an injury in the second game of the season at Queen's Park and just didn't get back into the team. His last appearance was in early September 2019 in the Challenge Cup against The New Saints. By that point, Scott McLaughlin, nominally a central midfielder, was playing at left-back instead.

Apparently his heart wasn't in the game after he left Celtic. I understand he was quite highly rated during his days as a youth player but that promise didn't materialise into anything tangible after he was moved on and he's had a pretty mediocre career ever since.

10 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Not really, no. We signed Aidan McIlduff in 2019 after an unremarkable spell at Berwick Rangers but he didn't make much of (or any?) impression during his time at Stenhousemuir. He played in our League Cup group stages and made two early league appearances but picked up an injury in the second game of the season at Queen's Park and just didn't get back into the team. His last appearance was in early September 2019 in the Challenge Cup against The New Saints. By that point, Scott McLaughlin, nominally a central midfielder, was playing at left-back instead.

Apparently his heart wasn't in the game after he left Celtic. I understand he was quite highly rated during his days as a youth player but that promise didn't materialise into anything tangible after he was moved on and he's had a pretty mediocre career ever since.

Mauve the drop to our level might help 

On 13/11/2021 at 23:30, Francesc Fabregas said:

He played for Clyde on loan from Celtic and was very good from what I remember. Scored a good goal agains Montrose in a team that also featured Craig Halkett and Euan Murray (who also scored, playing as a number 9 - classic Barry Ferguson).

I remember hearing an Open Goal interview with Kieran Tierney where he said that at the time that Celtic had McIlduff as more of a prospect than KT, who wasn't even really playing with the rezzies.

On 15/11/2021 at 10:47, Brian Carrigan said:

He played for Clyde on loan from Celtic and was very good from what I remember. Scored a good goal agains Montrose in a team that also featured Craig Halkett and Euan Murray (who also scored, playing as a number 9 - classic Barry Ferguson).

I remember hearing an Open Goal interview with Kieran Tierney where he said that at the time that Celtic had McIlduff as more of a prospect than KT, who wasn't even really playing with the rezzies.

He seems quite good for us but obviously we are a couple of levels below where he had played before 

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/11/2021 at 17:57, Mr November said:

I liked O’Reilly at Airdrie, he was very raw but clearly had some good raw attributes which he just wasn’t able to put together consistently. I would happily have kept him on at Airdrie as a backup option to change the game if we needed it but dropping down a league and getting regular game time seems to have been the best move for him. I went to the game on Tuesday night and was really impressed with him, he was probably the best player on the park for me. One way or another I’m confident he’ll be back up a level next season. 

On 13/11/2021 at 18:09, Passionate said:

good to see O Reilly doing well with yourselves, he was a player Airdrie wanted to keep and offered the lad a new deal, but chose Stenny not long after the end of last season,  he was pretty much a regular in League 1 last season,  reminded me of a young Darren Henderson..

Will we good to see a few old heads in a fortnight, possible banana 🍌

Euan's a guid Auchterarder lad - glad to see his name appear on team lines and score sheets now.

• 2 weeks later...

Euan O'Reilly has signed a contract extension with the club, taking him up until the end of the 2022/23 season.

This is a good piece of business - he's far and away our best player and someone who's brought razzamatazz and excitement to our attack. I'm hopeful this is the calibre of player we're able to go for when we start rebuilding the team in the summer.

4 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Euan O'Reilly has signed a contract extension with the club, taking him up until the end of the 2022/23 season.

This is a good piece of business - he's far and away our best player and someone who's brought razzamatazz and excitement to our attack. I'm hopeful this is the calibre of player we're able to go for when we start rebuilding the team in the summer.

Another re build eh?... 

Great piece of business for the club. Definitely the stand out winger in this league, outwith Higgy and Cardle, so to get him tied up is lovely news after that pumping at the weekend.

I just assumed he would definitely have went to a better team at end of the season but least if that does happen now we will get compensated accordingly.