Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any indication as to when Robert Thomson will be back in action? The club's Twitter account said we should be updated "later in the week" but I thought we might have heard by now!

Let's hope it's "very, very soon" - imagine going to the second quarter of the season with Ryan Tierney as your principle striker. Ay caramba!

On 13/10/2021 at 08:38, Hard Graft said:

And we also had......

I thought I recognised the name Euan Donaldson- he became a ref.

The new stand is nice but I always feel that old sheds like the one at Ochilview there were a damn sight warmer on a freezing day 

10 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

Thomson out for possibly 6 weeks!  Does he really trust Orr or Tierney to lead the attack? Anyone decent available on short term loan would be good idea.

I could be wrong here, but I believe emergency loans are now only for goalkeepers. So your only option would be to sign a free agent.

I'm glad big BerbaThom has got his mojo back at the Warriors. He was an excellent player for us, and someone I would've taken back at the Rock in a heartbeat.

Just now, Hard Graft said:

Thomson out for possibly 6 weeks!  Does he really trust Orr or Tierney to lead the attack? Anyone decent available on short term loan would be good idea.

Heard the same time frame at the start of the week but thought there might be some kind of update by now on social media instead of the football manager "patter".

I don't think we can just continually go to the transfer market every time we have an inconvenience, especially with the squad as huge as it is. Could Christie not play through the middle? I think it may be worth a try. We don't really have an option now to hold the ball up and he is likely to cause more bother than Orr and Tierney have done. 

The lack of feedback from the club is appalling, would rather speak to the Herald than inform the fans.  Agree that we cannot always dive into the transfer market but in this case the lack of alternatives seems overwhelming. Are we talking 6 weeks until he is match fit or 6 weeks for the injury to heal and then resume training?  Can we afford to go another 6 weeks, at least,  without a half competent striker as that could easily leave us in a more precarious position? 

Has there been any official confirmation about how long the big man will be out for? There was no mention of Robert Thomson's injury in the weekly newsletter (and no mention of the fact he was substituted in the win over Cowdenbeath last Saturday) and there hasn't been anything on social media.

Thomson's absence really feels like one step forward and one step back. I was hopeful we could kick on and begin to climb the table after beating Cowden but I don't think we'll be able to do it with Tam Orr or Ryan Tierney leading the line. Orr is badly out of form and has been roundly disappointing since he joined the club, while Tierney is nowhere near good enough to play in the SPFL. Thomson knits everything together and gives the likes of Euan O'Reilly and Adam Brown someone to bounce off up top; the other two just don't have what he does.

I'm not sure playing Darren Christie through the middle is the solution - he's inconsistent and only seems to make an impact when he's coming off the bench, and that's in his natural position on the wing - and, if we're not going to use Orr or Tierney, I can envisage Ross Forbes being deployed as a "false nine", somehow. I suppose, with Huntly coming up tomorrow in the Scottish Cup, it might give us the chance to experiment, although this is the kind of match that has "upset" written all over it!

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Has there been any official confirmation about how long the big man will be out for? There was no mention of Robert Thomson's injury in the weekly newsletter (and no mention of the fact he was substituted in the win over Cowdenbeath last Saturday) and there hasn't been anything on social media.

Swifts comments to the Falkirk Herald is the only mention of it. Fans should be the last to know.

48 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

Swifts comments to the Falkirk Herald is the only mention of it. Fans should be the last to know.

I'm surprised this hasn't been communicated by the club. We might get more details later today if they publish a preview of the Huntly match but I'm doubtful at this stage. I guess we'll find out more in the Wee Bar tomorrow!

EDIT: the Huntly preview has been published on the club website and there's no indication as to how long Thomson will be out for, other than he's had a few scans and will need to be assessed by the physio. Tam Orr scored a double against Linlithgow Rose on Tuesday night, so who knows - he might do the same tomorrow!

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

Decent preview to be fair and although we don't have anything more concrete on Thomson least there is stuff from the manager before the game. Orr should have a bit of confidence from hitting the net at least and Huntly should be about the level of Lithgae so let's start him and hopefully he can begin to find that Stranraer form of last season. 

I appreciate this stuff from our actual football manager as opposed to geeks playing football manager. 

Edited by Neilly

Not at the game today but currently weighing up which is the better option: winning today’s tie and hoping for a decent draw so we can either go on a cup run or get money in to bolster the squad in January cause we certainly need a replacement for Thomson at the very least, or just taking a big fat L today so this fraud’s tenure is over sooner.

ETA - however, knowing our luck, we’ll win this one and get knocked out by a jobbing Championship or League 1 team.

Edited by warriors21