Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Obviously things aren't going to well for Stenny at the moment, but it's good to see David Wilson in the team and even better to see that he saved two penalties on Saturday. I thought he looked very good at Clyde and fair play to him for wanting to get first team football and it seems that he's now getting what he wanted.

Somewhat ironically I read the news of his penalty saves just after watching the highlights of the Clyde vs QP game where big Parry let a Longridge shot from about 30 yards which was travelling at approx. 3 kph trickle past him. Just a bump in the road for Parry but did laugh.

Aye, Davie Wilson's done quite well since he's come into the team. I'm not sure if he's actually a good goalkeeper in his own right or he's good in a "at-least-it's-not-Ryan-Marshall!" way but it's one less thing to worry about.

He’s in the last chance saloon now. Next 2 games are Forfar at home, Cowdenbeath away. If we can draw with Forfar and beat Cowdenbeath the he might be able to limp on for a bit but it’s worrying now.

Central defence one of our less weak areas but he has changed it again today. Looks like he is thrashing about hoping for, rather than expecting, a result. Oh dear

Edited by true fan

I'm running out of patience with Stephen Swift and his management of this football club. Yesterday's defeat to Elgin City, whilst a little unfortunate, summed up a lot of the failings we've seen time and again this season. A brand new starting XI, players suddenly brought into the team, players fielded out of position, our best player dropped, a confusing game plan, a laboured performance, and a missed opportunity.

When I saw the starting line-up, it gave me the impression of someone who's throwing things at the wall in the hope that something might just stick. Ross Lyon is the fourth player we've deployed at left-back this season while Michael Miller, a player brought in to add some much-needed dig to the middle of the park, started at right-back - he's the fourth one we've used there too. We haven't even reached the end of the first quarter! James Lyon and Ross Forbes were given unfamiliar roles further forward, with neither player looking comfortable and both removed just after the hour mark. Tam Orr, who continues to struggle, was asked to operate as a back-to-goal centre-forward, while Robert Thomson sat on the bench for 67 minutes. It didn't make any sense to me.

Elgin are a poor side and were there for the taking and although we had a lot of the ball, it was all a bit sterile and I don't remember us creating many chances beyond Nicky Jamieson's goal and Adam Brown's dismal effort that he somehow hooked over the bar. I watched the manager's post-match interview and it felt as though he was talking about another game entirely. "I don't feel as if we're far away," he said. "We're playing really good stuff - I think the fans will see that. We're a good team [...] I think we just need to keep playing the way that we're playing and defend a bit better and we'll get there." With respect, I disagree!

A lot of the problems stem from the summer signings. I'd have to check back at previous transfer windows but I think this could well be the worst recruitment drive we've embarked on. Swift has brought in some good players to the club but on the whole his squad is so unbalanced and lacking in key areas that we look a lot less than the sum of our parts. We've played 14 competitive matches so far this season and we've only seen the same starting XI used in consecutive games once (Cove Rangers and Annan Athletic at the start of the month). How are we expected to build consistency and understanding when the manager doesn't know his best XI and chops and changes things on a weekly basis? We'll just have to batten down the hatches until January and turn over the squad then. But will Swift last that long?

It gives me no pleasure to say this but the whole thing reminds me of Scott Booth's time in charge of the club between 2014 and 2015. I see a lot of similarities between the two - a uniformly agreeable appointment and a lot of initial enthusiasm followed by confusion, mediocrity and rancour, with the manager out of his depth, second guessing himself and floundering. The big difference six years ago, however, was that our SPFL status was not at stake; the prospect of dropping into the Lowland League terrifies me.

There is no way we should be in this position given the money we've spent so far this season. It is not acceptable. Our upcoming run of games is a presentable one and if we don't see an upturn in form then I think the consequences for the manager could be brutal.

58 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm running out of patience with Stephen Swift and his management of this football club. Yesterday's defeat to Elgin City, whilst a little unfortunate, summed up a lot of the failings we've seen time and again this season. A brand new starting XI, players suddenly brought into the team, players fielded out of position, our best player dropped, a confusing game plan, a laboured performance, and a missed opportunity.

When I saw the starting line-up, it gave me the impression of someone who's throwing things at the wall in the hope that something might just stick. Ross Lyon is the fourth player we've deployed at left-back this season while Michael Miller, a player brought in to add some much-needed dig to the middle of the park, started at right-back - he's the fourth one we've used there too. We haven't even reached the end of the first quarter! James Lyon and Ross Forbes were given unfamiliar roles further forward, with neither player looking comfortable and both removed just after the hour mark. Tam Orr, who continues to struggle, was asked to operate as a back-to-goal centre-forward, while Robert Thomson sat on the bench for 67 minutes. It didn't make any sense to me.

Elgin are a poor side and were there for the taking and although we had a lot of the ball, it was all a bit sterile and I don't remember us creating many chances beyond Nicky Jamieson's goal and Adam Brown's dismal effort that he somehow hooked over the bar. I watched the manager's post-match interview and it felt as though he was talking about another game entirely. "I don't feel as if we're far away," he said. "We're playing really good stuff - I think the fans will see that. We're a good team [...] I think we just need to keep playing the way that we're playing and defend a bit better and we'll get there." With respect, I disagree!

A lot of the problems stem from the summer signings. I'd have to check back at previous transfer windows but I think this could well be the worst recruitment drive we've embarked on. Swift has brought in some good players to the club but on the whole his squad is so unbalanced and lacking in key areas that we look a lot less than the sum of our parts. We've played 14 competitive matches so far this season and we've only seen the same starting XI used in consecutive games once (Cove Rangers and Annan Athletic at the start of the month). How are we expected to build consistency and understanding when the manager doesn't know his best XI and chops and changes things on a weekly basis? We'll just have to batten down the hatches until January and turn over the squad then. But will Swift last that long?

It gives me no pleasure to say this but the whole thing reminds me of Scott Booth's time in charge of the club between 2014 and 2015. I see a lot of similarities between the two - a uniformly agreeable appointment and a lot of initial enthusiasm followed by confusion, mediocrity and rancour, with the manager out of his depth, second guessing himself and floundering. The big difference six years ago, however, was that our SPFL status was not at stake; the prospect of dropping into the Lowland League terrifies me.

There is no way we should be in this position given the money we've spent so far this season. It is not acceptable. Our upcoming run of games is a presentable one and if we don't see an upturn in form then I think the consequences for the manager could be brutal.

Came by to see what’s up. This post explained it well enough. I hope the warriors can get out of this position.

FF sums it up well.

We all bought into Swift when he was appointed even when he emptied the squad keeping only 3 including 2 recovering from illness/injury. 

He has brought in 18 or 19 players and still does not have a clue what his starting 11 is.

Players constantly played out of position.

He stuck by a goalkeeper, for whatever reason. who was clearly a liability and was costing us on a weekly basis.

Yet to see the high intensity football we were promised.

Yet to see us put a team under concerted pressure for any length of time.

Saturday was a classic with the usual, players being played out of position, unknown game plan and our best player dropped for whatever reason.  This should have been broached in the after match interview.

Sick of hearing the same after match pish as outlined by FF.  Swift is now sick of losing - try sitting in the stand watching the club you love being flushed down the toilet.

At half time on Saturday, as the team was coming off the park someone shout at Swift that this was pish. Cue one of his staff look up at the stand and shake his head. If they do not know that it is crap, or we are not allowed to comment, then that is part of the problem.

Personally I would punt him now. You have had your chance and shown that you are unsuited at this level.

Get someone in now who has a decent chance to assess the squad over the next 9 or 10 games before the transfer window opens.

Although confidence in Swift is waning each and every week, the Stranraer game aside (I didn't see the Annan game) we have been as good as, if not better, than every team we have played with the obvious exception of Kelty. Although even then, you do wonder if we had played a goalkeeper that game, things might have turned out differently.

The obvious problem is that unless results improve then whether you think we are as good as anyone else in the league, it doesn't matter. Once that realisation hits, then I think that is the time to take action. While there is still hope, and I think that there is, we should give Swift a bit more time. We are still within touching distance of the 4 teams above us so a couple of wins would ease everyone's stress levels. 

As for the team selection, I haven't given up on Crichton and I wasn't sold on Tapping at the weekend. He lost his man easily at the first goal, but to be fair it was his first match for a few weeks.

Strikers? Is Orr better as a lone striker? He looked more threatening on Saturday than he has before, I thought.

It is a quandry, but if we can get a couple of good results confidence will improve...but time is ticking.

Although confidence in Swift is waning each and every week, the Stranraer game aside (I didn't see the Annan game) we have been as good as, if not better, than every team we have played with the obvious exception of Kelty. Although even then, you do wonder if we had played a goalkeeper that game, things might have turned out differently.
The obvious problem is that unless results improve then whether you think we are as good as anyone else in the league, it doesn't matter. Once that realisation hits, then I think that is the time to take action. While there is still hope, and I think that there is, we should give Swift a bit more time. We are still within touching distance of the 4 teams above us so a couple of wins would ease everyone's stress levels. 
As for the team selection, I haven't given up on Crichton and I wasn't sold on Tapping at the weekend. He lost his man easily at the first goal, but to be fair it was his first match for a few weeks.
Strikers? Is Orr better as a lone striker? He looked more threatening on Saturday than he has before, I thought.
It is a quandry, but if we can get a couple of good results confidence will improve...but time is ticking.

While I agree on the whole, the budget we have we MUST be at the very minimum be in the play-offs come May. It just doesn't look remotely likely.

I wouldn't wield the axe right now but we need 2/3 games as wins over the next 3 games, at worst a win & draw (the fact that I even think this annoys me as we should be so much better). If we come out with 3 or less then that will be enough for a change in my opinion.

I don't like to be a sacking club willy nilly but when you get given a right good budget for this league, sign basically every player you wanted & are serving up the results we are then the goodwill is very limited.

Yeah, I agree with Nigel Blackwell's overall point, and there's a lot to be said about giving Stephen Swift the time to make his mark, but the fact that we're consistently failing to get the better of the division's mediocre sides is troubling. After the 1-1 draw with Cowdenbeath last month - a side who, by the way, hadn't played or trained in two weeks and had to field a makeshift XI - Darren Christie said something along the lines of it was only a matter of time before we give someone "a real doing". I disagreed with him because while we dominated possession, we only created a handful of chances and rarely tested their goalkeeper. It was the same against Elgin City on Saturday - we saw a lot of the ball but failed to get in behind or put them under any real pressure. We haven't really played well in a single league game this season, despite the fact the manager has tried out so many different formations and personnel.

It's that lack of clear thinking that worries me the most. Take the signing of Ross Forbes, for instance. He's been brought to the club on a two-year contract, presumably on a handsome wage, but the manager doesn't know what to do with him. He's been played in four different positions (a deep-lying playmaker, a second striker, and wide on the right and the left) and hasn't made an impact in any of them. Chuck in the signings of Nat Wedderburn and Declan Hughes, two other players who want to do the same thing as Forbes and sit in the middle of the park and knock the ball around, and you really have to question how this team has been put together.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

8 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Yeah, I agree with Nigel Blackwell's overall point, and there's a lot to be said about giving Stephen Swift the time to make his mark, but the fact that we're consistently failing to get the better of the division's mediocre sides is troubling. After the 1-1 draw with Cowdenbeath last month - a side who, by the way, hadn't played or trained in two weeks and had to field a makeshift XI - Darren Christie said something along the lines of it was only a matter of time before we give someone "a real doing". I disagreed with him because while we dominated possession, we only created a handful of chances and rarely tested their goalkeeper. It was the same against Elgin City on Saturday - we saw a lot of the ball but failed to get in behind or put them under any real pressure. We haven't really played well in a single league game this season, despite the fact the manager has tried out so many different formations and personnel.

It's that lack of clear thinking that worries me the most. Take the signing of Ross Forbes, for instance. He's been brought to the club on a two-year contract, presumably on a handsome wage, but the manager doesn't know what to do with him. He's been played in four different positions (a deep-lying playmaker, a second striker, and wide on the right and the left) and hasn't made an impact in any of them. Chuck in the signings of Nat Wedderburn and Declan Hughes, two other players who want to do the same thing as Forbes and sit in the middle of the park and knock the ball around, and you really have to question how this team has been put together.

Forbes has been the biggest disappointment. As a marquee signing he has been anonymous in every single game he has played.

9 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Forbes has been the biggest disappointment. As a marquee signing he has been anonymous in every single game he has played.

Forbes hasn't disappointed me because he'd played as I expected him to. Dumbarton fans were very cool about his departure and he wouldn't have been a player I'd have gone for.

Tam Orr and Sean Crighton have been the biggest disappointments. I had high hopes for them both and they've yet to deliver!

Guest mr_malcolm

Forbes was finished at us a couple of years ago. Good left foot for set pieces but otherwise a passenger

He's not only stinking the place out he's somehow captain with Crighton not playing. Swift has no idea what he's doing with him that's for sure, we look a far better and energetic side when he isn't there. 

How on earth did we end up with Dec Hughes partnering Wedderburn again anyway? That clearly doesn't work and adding Forbes into that midfield mix just makes us far too slow in getting around the pitch. Look at the second goal on Saturday as soon as our midfield is turned it's game over. Miller was brought in there by the manager's own admission we needed legs and then within a few weeks we are back to the failed experiment. Miller looks a solid player though and even better at right back but it completely goes against the reasoning we were given for him coming to the club.

Saturday will be the first league game I have missed this season and I can't say I am gutted at that. We are going to get horsed.