Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

3 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:
2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:
Craig Red has left the club:

On one hand It's good as he is done and we are being proactive but it also just looks like we are very muddled in our thinking.

I could see the thinking behind signing Craig Reid - we had missed out a couple of high-profile centre-backs and needed defensive cover so brought him in - but when Nicky Jamieson suddenly became available, it pushed the veteran further down the pecking order to fourth (or maybe even fifth) choice. I only ever saw him playing once, as a right-back against Edinburgh City, and he looked miles off it.

I thought we had too many defenders in the squad and although we've punted two (Reid and Jamie Mills), we still don't have cover at right-back for Ross Lyon. Maybe Reid's wage might allow us to bring in a decent alternative. Who knows!

Good interesting debate developing here, with some interesting points being brought to the fore.

Like others I was excited by Swift's appointment but must admit some concern rose when every other day it seemed another BSC player was arriving.  Would they be up to the level we require/expected, if so why had they not been snapped up by senior clubs?

Orr, Thomson, Crichton and Jamieson were exciting signings. Someone mentioned that Forbes and Wedderburn would not play in the same team but they have played almost every game together. Wedderburn clearly has pace issues but still looks reasonable enough.  Ross Lyon looks the part and Coll might do, Corbett looks good and jury still out on Adam Brown.

I do have concerns that he does not rate Wilson in goals, if he had he would surely have had him in the team a couple of games ago instead of persevering with the disaster that is Marshall.

Reading the comment that he probably wanted the Dumbarton or Stranraer job first is an interesting one. Given that the Sons are a league above us I wonder who he would have taken/brought in to their squad.

Anyway, we are what we are for the moment and just have to keep getting behind the team and hopefully things will turn round. 

Onwards and Upwards.

7 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

Like others I was excited by Swift's appointment but must admit some concern rose when every other day it seemed another BSC player was arriving.  Would they be up to the level we require/expected, if so why had they not been snapped up by senior clubs?

Apparently, five of the six players who came directly from BSC Glasgow were in talks with other SPFL clubs before they joined Stenhousemuir.

Michael Miller won't be the fanciest player in the world but I expect he's been brought in to give us some much-needed legs in the middle of the park and do the dirty work for Ross Forbes and Nat Wedderburn. An associate of mine who follows Raith Rovers said he barely had a bad game when the side were in League 1 but featured mostly at right-back. Nevertheless, his versatility should be valuable. I hope he can do us a good turn.

I'd like to think we're looking to bring in a goalkeeper and a left-winger but our finances must surely be stretched as it is!

Came down to say that Michael Miller should be a very decent signing for League Two, but eh... maybe not, then? 

If it does go through, he'll be absolutely solid, and sometimes that's just what you need. When we won(-ish) League One, he came in as a midfielder and then played almost every minute of the season at right back. 

Did his defensive work, used the ball well, and popped up with a good few goals. Kieran MacDonald got more plaudits on the left hand side but we were very well served by two attacking fullbacks. 

I was a little surprised that we didn't keep him for our first season back in the Championship, but also a little surprised that it was a Championship club who picked him up, if that makes sense. 

He looked like a good player for the top half of League One and a versatile squad player for the bottom half of the Championship. His experience at Ayr maybe points to that second part being a reach, but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't go back to putting in 7 or 8/10 performances every week in League Two. If he arrives... 

On 24/08/2021 at 09:37, Francesc Fabregas said:

My understanding is the players available to us this season courtesy of the strategic partnership aren't good enough or ready to be playing SPFL football. The two clubs are in the process of identifying the players to join us next season. (For context, Callum Yeats and Jayden Fairley had been earmarked to join us the season prior to the strategic partnership being agreed.) While this is handy over the medium and longer term, it's not great for the here and now.

I tentatively agree with you that we should be looking to improve our pool of goalkeepers (and maybe sign another central midfielder and someone to play on the left wing) but it surely isn't viable to recruit a brand new squad of players, realise some of them are crap a couple of weeks into the season, and then chuck money at bringing in replacements. The squad is already huge and we'd have to punt players if we want anyone coming in.

Surprised Jack Hodge let go to make way for 'experience'.........