Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

1 hour ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Attendance is caped at 350, so sadly not going to be a decent crowd!

Ah I was sure I'd seen a post on twitter saying they'd made 450 tickets available and sold all of them

Even still, be great to see a game in person - pie or nae pie 

I was at Dumbarfon last midweek and you weren't allowed bottles or cans but were allowed Capri Sun's.

I'm not sure what science guided that but Capri Sun's have a capped top these days that are more dangerous than a bottle top or can If it was due to the danger of the object

We are football fans gagging on seeing our team play. The crowds are in the hundreds. There is zero chance any of these drink containers are going to be used to throw on the park but we are all deemed as animals by the powers that be. It's all pretty pathetic.

Really impressed with this Stenhousemuir team. Miles better than anything we've seen for at least two years, and probably more. Really looking forward to seeing them against our peers in the league. Quite encouraging. 

There is one obvious problem position. Any word on when Graeme Smith will be back?

I thought St Mirren were well worth their win this evening, with the scoreline being reflective of the overall game. They had the better of the play, created a lot more chances and probably had gears they could have gone through if things got a little sticky. The only time they looked rattled was towards the death when we pushed for an equaliser but Lee Erwin's late, late strike killed off the game.

Stenhousemuir had a couple of neat moments here and there, and I think most of the players can be proud of their efforts. BJ Coll put in some nice tackles, Nat Wedderburn had a couple of neat touches in the middle of the park and I really like what I've seen from Robert Thomson so far. I certainly think we'll hold our own next season and maybe challenge for a top-four slot.

I'm not too keen on Ryan Marshall, however. He looked shaky in the first half, completely missing a punch (and flattening Curtis Main), before selling the jerseys after the restart for the Buddies' opener. He didn't attempt to dive for their second and didn't react well to a shot that was well-struck but hardly flying by him at their third. I wasn't convinced by him after the Thistle match, albeit there was little he could have done about the their two goals. But hey!, these games are just a kickabout before the real stuff starts next a week on Saturday.

This is a tough school playing full time sides in this heat but I think every fan is feeling really positive about the team and the way the manager is going about things.

We are well drilled against these sides and I think we will see our attacking flair when we get down to league business. 

It could be the same old disappointment we are accustomed to but there is a different feeling about this squad assembled and I think we are in for a good season.

Just now, STENNY ROB said:

Wasn’t able to watch tonight but sounds like a decent performance. Presume one of the two left backs played at left mid - Mills?

Aye, we lined up with a 3-6-1 (or maybe it was a 3-5-2?) formation this evening, with BJ Coll as a left-sided centre-back and Jamie Mills as left-wing-back.

6 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I thought St Mirren were well worth their win this evening, with the scoreline being reflective of the overall game. They had the better of the play, created a lot more chances and probably had gears they could have gone through if things got a little sticky. The only time they looked rattled was towards the death when we pushed for an equaliser but Lee Erwin's late, late strike killed off the game.

Stenhousemuir had a couple of neat moments here and there, and I think most of the players can be proud of their efforts. BJ Coll put in some nice tackles, Nat Wedderburn had a couple of neat touches in the middle of the park and I really like what I've seen from Robert Thomson so far. I certainly think we'll hold our own next season and maybe challenge for a top-four slot.

I'm not too keen on Ryan Marshall, however. He looked shaky in the first half, completely missing a punch (and flattening Curtis Main), before selling the jerseys after the restart for the Buddies' opener. He didn't attempt to dive for their second and didn't react well to a shot that was well-struck but hardly flying by him at their third. I wasn't convinced by him after the Thistle match, albeit there was little he could have done about the their two goals. But hey!, these games are just a kickabout before the real stuff starts next a week on Saturday.

Your co-commentary was excellent, as was the main commentator. You were both really knowledgeable not just of Stenny (to be expected) but of St. Mirren and you were both fair and even handed.

Saints red numbers are going to attract all the usual moaners like Bonner, Preston etc but you two were well clued up.

Good luck when "the real stuff starts".

13 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Your co-commentary was excellent, as was the main commentator. You were both really knowledgeable not just of Stenny (to be expected) but of St. Mirren and you were both fair and even handed.

Saints red numbers are going to attract all the usual moaners like Bonner, Preston etc but you two were well clued up.

Good luck when "the real stuff starts".

Thank you for the kind feedback regarding the commentary! 

15 hours ago, Neilly said:

I was at Dumbarfon last midweek and you weren't allowed bottles or cans but were allowed Capri Sun's.

I'm not sure what science guided that but Capri Sun's have a capped top these days that are more dangerous than a bottle top or can If it was due to the danger of the object

We are football fans gagging on seeing our team play. The crowds are in the hundreds. There is zero chance any of these drink containers are going to be used to throw on the park but we are all deemed as animals by the powers that be. It's all pretty pathetic.

Criminal Justice Scotland Act from 1980 makes it a specific offence to take any can, bottle or other container which may be liable to cause injury into any football ground.

Common sense being applied at a lot of smaller grounds which is fine until something goes wrong.

This was apparent last night when those on the terracing had entered the ground with at least one bottle of booze and several flares and that banner. Trying to find out what the powers are for removing the banner in the ground but obviously the stewards have not been searching fans coming in and have missed the banner, which would be difficult to conceal, or just turned a blind eye to it.

On the same thread, only to nip potential trouble in the bud, we should perhaps be introducing segregation in the stand. Would not be hard to station a steward at the first stairs to guide opposition fans to the far end of the stand.

Edited by Moonglum25

On 14/07/2021 at 12:12, Jan Vojáček said:

I just thought I'd drop in to echo the praise of wee James Lyon. He was absolutely superb last night - even ignoring his beautiful goal. 

Every time he got on the ball it was like the whole tempo of the game moved up a notch. In the first-half when Stenny dropped out of things a bit, he was still keen to get on the ball and make something happen. For someone who looks like he left Primary school over the summer he put himself about too. Ian McCall was sat a few seats away from me and he looked impressed. Or at least as impressed as Ian McCall can look.

I can't see you guys not having a good season with that squad to be honest. Stephen Swift identified the weak points (hiya Michael Anderson and Craig Reid, hiya pals) and hooked them early on. After both changes Stenhousemuir improved, and I think a special mention has to go to Ross Lyon. His addition in place of Anderson at half-time made a massive difference. I thought he was terrific. 

I had hoped we'd be going for Tam Orr after our games with Stranraer too. He's such a selfless, busy player. He might not be prolific, but I bet you'd love to have him as your strike partner. I hope he's alright after battering into Sam Ramsbottom. It reminded me of a time I had a falling out with my best mate at school who was a hulking big centre-back. I decided I was going to smash him the next time there was a high ball, chucked everything I could at him and it felt like I had been hit by a bus. I was winded for about a week. 

Apologies for the stream issues. From speaking to our tech guy it took three full reboots of Pixellot's server for it to finally burst into life. Stood in the stand, we had no clue what you guys could or couldn't see and probably ended up rambling a wee bit. But hopefully it wasn't too insufferable.

All the best for the season. If nothing else your touchline should be good entertainment. Frazer Wright was having a right go at one of our fans (braver man than me taking on big Frazer Wright) and Michael Moore spent the whole game shouting "f***ing hopeless" at Stuart Carswell every time he was near the ball. Carsy seemed quite riled by the end and, after shouting back "f**k off baldy" a few times, the two of them had to be ushered down their respective tunnels whilst Carsy shouted "But who are you?" at him. It was a really enjoyable watch. 

Why we love Scottish football reason #3463732

By the way, if any of your fans are interested in tomorrow’s game, there are plenty tickets available on general sale. SSEW is the usual away section of the main stand and is largely empty.

Obviously it’s meant to be home fans only, so I’d advise against wearing a Stenhousemuir top or anything. But see no reason why you can’t attend, given our fans don’t seem to be snapping up the tickets and segregation shouldn’t be required. I know I’d much rather pay £12 to go to the game than watch a stream.

dafc.co.uk/matchtickets/

2 hours ago, CallumPar said:

By the way, if any of your fans are interested in tomorrow’s game, there are plenty tickets available on general sale. SSEW is the usual away section of the main stand and is largely empty.

Obviously it’s meant to be home fans only, so I’d advise against wearing a Stenhousemuir top or anything. But see no reason why you can’t attend, given our fans don’t seem to be snapping up the tickets and segregation shouldn’t be required. I know I’d much rather pay £12 to go to the game than watch a stream.

dafc.co.uk/matchtickets/

Away fans are fine to attend I'm sure

2 hours ago, CallumPar said:

dafc.co.uk/matchtickets/

Go on lads, put on your best fife accents and get brided out your nut.*

*bridies must be purchased in Stephens outlets in town, as this is a safe way to buy a bridie, something that is somehow unsafe inside the stadium.

What’s the chances of the Stirling game on Saturday going to general sale?

Looking to go as a neutral purely because footballs back and I actually can, obviously don’t want to deprive a fan of a ticket but if there’s likely to be availability, would love to come along.

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

If the crowd is capped at 450 as per St Mirren game there is zero chance we will sell that just to home fans.

If there isn't a general sale/tickets for Binos I'd be astonished.

Our official website saying the clubs are in discussion about away fans being allowed in.

A general sale was supposed to commence on Thursday as per email from our club today. The tickets on sale just now should only be for season ticket holders buying addtional tickets and other associated branches of home fans (Warriors Abroad etc.)

I think there has been a bit of an error here either by our club (most likely) or Stirling Albion posting this information to their Twitter when they shouldn't have.

Edited by Neilly