Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Stenhousemuir have signed Nicky Jamieson on loan from Alloa Athletic.

I think this could be a smashing piece of business and the "final piece of jigsaw", as it were. I was concerned about our options at centre-back and the lack of an outstanding candidate to partner Sean Crichton but Jamieson should fit that bill. I thought he might get more game time at the Recs this season but Barry Ferguson's wacky signing spree has put paid to that.

Their loss is our gain!

Suspect we will see the guy we signed from Spartans go out on loan once fit?
Probably. Appears Swift want's not much to do with any previous signed player, bar maybe graham but his contract was a promise from club.

Can't blame him tbf. I barely seen any of corbett to pass judgement but by reports I have been given no major loss.

5 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Stenhousemuir have signed Nicky Jamieson on loan from Alloa Athletic.

I think this could be a smashing piece of business and the "final piece of jigsaw", as it were. I was concerned about our options at centre-back and the lack of an outstanding candidate to partner Sean Crichton but Jamieson should fit that bill. I thought he might get more game time at the Recs this season but Barry Ferguson's wacky signing spree has put paid to that.

Their loss is our gain!

I can’t speak for his time at Alloa but from his one season at QP, I thought he was outstanding. He’s big, powerful, quick and the thing that’ll you’ll enjoy the most is just how well he distributes the ball, very composed but assertive when he needs to be. He was unfortunate that he picked up an injury shortly after McKinnon joined, which allowed a partnership of Stuart Morrison and Peter Grant to flourish where they conceded 0 goals together and wasn’t able to get back in the team before covid hit. Was still shocked he got released but there were murmurs that he couldn’t take on full time football because of what he does outside of football. He was my qp player of the season ahead of the likes of Kouider Aissa  and David Galt 

He is best pals with former stenny player Creag Little and comparing both of them, Jamieson is far superior. Hope it works out well, should stroll league 2 

Edited by qpfc

I think we've assembled a very solid squad. Distinct lack of wee boys to make up the numbers. Almost all experienced players (at a variety of levels).

I don't think we'll be near the title but we'll be competitive. In the past we've had a few very good technical players and wondered why we weren't doing well. Bunch of good lower league jobbers

12 hours ago, qpfc said:

I can’t speak for his time at Alloa but from his one season at QP, I thought he was outstanding. He’s big, powerful, quick and the thing that’ll you’ll enjoy the most is just how well he distributes the ball, very composed but assertive when he needs to be. He was unfortunate that he picked up an injury shortly after McKinnon joined, which allowed a partnership of Stuart Morrison and Peter Grant to flourish where they conceded 0 goals together and wasn’t able to get back in the team before covid hit. Was still shocked he got released but there were murmurs that he couldn’t take on full time football because of what he does outside of football. He was my qp player of the season ahead of the likes of Kouider Aissa  and David Galt 

He is best pals with former stenny player Creag Little and comparing both of them, Jamieson is far superior. Hope it works out well, should stroll league 2 

!00% correct, a great signing for you. Think he is know in his last year training as a CA, which was why he could not accept full time football with QP. 

Can we pay at the gate for home league cup matches?

Also does anybody know - will they be opening the terracing for all games to allow social spacing? Assuming terrace open for games involving higher league teams but I’m wondering about games with smaller attendances

1 hour ago, true fan said:

Can we pay at the gate for home league cup matches?

Also does anybody know - will they be opening the terracing for all games to allow social spacing? Assuming terrace open for games involving higher league teams but I’m wondering about games with smaller attendances

There is only one more home league cup game and it's sold out. 

There is only 1 home league game (Stirling Albion) before all social distancing restrictions are due to be lifted. The terracing being open requires more money for stewarding but it might be a decent idea to have it open for all games if some people are feeling a bit anxious and would like the option for a bit more distancing.  

I must say, I was impressed with Stenhousemuir's performance against Partick Thistle yesterday. The first-half display in particular was excellent and we really went toe to toe with the League 1 champions with some bold adventurous play (Daz Christie's nutmeg on Kevin Holt being the highlight). If we can take that kind of showing into the bread and butter of the league, we can enjoy a successful season. We tired in the second half and didn't really have an answer to substitute Scott Tiffoney, who bodied Christie and Ross Lyon with his trickery and pace. Thistle stepped things up and we didn't really have an answer to it - when Brian Graham netted their second, it was unlikely we would respond.

Nicky Jamieson was my man of the match and he really looks like a smashing signing. His tackle on Kyle Turner early in the match saved a certain goal and I think he can go on to form a dominant partnership with Sean Crichton.

Perhaps most importantly of all, it was brilliant to see supporters back in the ground. Reminded me of the old times. You forget how much you miss the sound of the crowd, the noise when the team bounds forward on the attack, the old boys wailing when someone steals yards at a throw-in, the fury when an opposition player puts in a bad tackle, Wonderful stuff.

Great to be back yesterday and well done to the staff who made it possible.

Decent performance by the team yesterday. Some great performances. Jamieson and Crighton look a good pairing and Wedderburn may be short on pace but will take no prisoners.  We had a really good first half but the second half and the introduction of Tiffoney was decisive. Both goals were possibly avoidable.  For the first Rudden was allowed to run free into the box and for the second by the time Mills decided to get onto Graham he was on the wrong side.

Hard to be critical against a team 2 divisions above us and we look good for the league. Dunfermline are banging goals in for fun at the moment and that is a worry when we play them in Fife before the Binos.  All in all we have had a couple of good performances and the fans are back.

We ran out of gas a bit in that second half but to be expected against full time oppostion in the blistering heat. It really was some shift the team put in yesterday to have us competitive. We obviously tweaked the system to have two holding midfielders yesterday which was sensible. Kyle Turner was superb for Thistle and it was a tough gig for the lads in there to keep tabs on him at times.

When you consider that starting line up had no Thomson, O'Reilly, Brown and James Lyon then it shows we are in a very good place going into the league campaign. We have some serious options going forward and again yesterday Cammy Graham and, in particular, Daz Christie showed they will also have their part to play this season when called upon.

There is probably a chance we will take a few doings against St Mirren and Dunfermline so I would be inclined just to continue to rotate the team a bit and give the squad minutes before the Stirling Albion game. 

St Mirren fan here in peace. Really excited to go to an actual football match tonight! It has been a while.

Do you guys have a pie shop? Is it good? Usually well stocked? Recommendations on what to get? Using this to base my decision on whether to grab grub on the way or not :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Doakes said:

St Mirren fan here in peace. Really excited to go to an actual football match tonight! It has been a while.

Do you guys have a pie shop? Is it good? Usually well stocked? Recommendations on what to get? Using this to base my decision on whether to grab grub on the way or not :lol: 

Pie shop is closed so you can just bring your own food and drink.

Despite every takeaway in Scotland being open we can't possibly buy a pie from a pie shop in front of a two men and their dug crowd.

Shambolic. Not the clubs fault obviously just rhe "science" not making a lick of sense again. 

49 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Despite every takeaway in Scotland being open we can't possibly buy a pie from a pie shop in front of a two men and their dug crowd.

Shambolic. Not the clubs fault obviously just rhe "science" not making a lick of sense again. 

Aye none of it makes sense, shame for the club as probably losing out on a fair amount of income with a decent crowd expected. Hopefully they have some donation buckets out (unless that is banned as well) 

Sandwich and a bottle of coke it is :( :lol: 

Just now, Doakes said:

Aye none of it makes sense, shame for the club as probably losing out on a fair amount of income with a decent crowd expected. Hopefully they have some donation buckets out (unless that is banned as well) 

Sandwich and a bottle of coke it is :( :lol: 

Attendance is caped at 350, so sadly not going to be a decent crowd!

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

Neilly's nailed it here.

Even during Covid lockdown you could queue at a shop window to get your takeaway, like, err, you do at a pie stall without there being any stewards present to ensure social distancing as there might be at the football. 

That Covid virus must have wasp genes in it that pre programme it to home in on football games.