Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

3 hours ago, leomessi1984 said:

Sounds like he'll replace Easton in the "bags of ability but can be frustrating as f**k" stakes! Cheers for the feedback too 👍

Biabi played against us on Tuesday night for Morton and looked a bit of a handful. He certainly looked a better option than the two puddings Morton had up front in the first-half. I reckon with the right coaching (and the right players around him) he could be a very handy addition. I was half hoping we might take a look at if him if Morton weren't interested. 

1 hour ago, latapythelegend said:

We have just appointed Jamie Swinney as our Chief Exec. I'm ready and primed to criticise every appointment FFC make at the moment but before I do, how was he at Stenny?

For my money, Jamie Swinney has been one of the best appointments Stenhousemuir have made in a long time. I'm not sure what metrics and indexes can be used to determine his success at Ochilview but I always felt the club was just "different" and "better" after he joined as CEO. Stenhousemuir seemed to be more visible, they seemed to communicate with supporters better and there seemed to be a better understanding between the good stuff the club did off the pitch and what happened on it. Even although the last three years have been mediocre from a footballing perspective, I've always felt we're in a good place off it. I know that's intangible but Jamie was a big asset to Stenny.

On top of that, he's a brilliant guy to be around - warm, friendly, welcoming, passionate, enthusiastic, hard-working and helpful. To be honest, it's a bit of a surprise a bigger club hasn't come in for him till now. I hope he's given the time and scope to make a positive impact at the Falkirk Stadium because I have no doubt he'll be a big success.

1 minute ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

For my money, Jamie Swinney has been one of the best appointments Stenhousemuir have made in a long time. I'm not sure what metrics and indexes can be used to determine his success at Ochilview but I always felt the club was just "different" and "better" after he joined as CEO. Stenhousemuir seemed to be more visible, they seemed to communicate with supporters better and there seemed to be a better understanding between the good stuff the club did off the pitch and what happened on it. Even although the last three years have been mediocre from a footballing perspective, I've always felt we're in a good place off it. I know that's intangible but Jamie was a big asset to Stenny.

On top of that, he's a brilliant guy to be around - warm, friendly, welcoming, passionate, enthusiastic, hard-working and helpful. To be honest, it's a bit of a surprise a bigger club hasn't come in for him till now. I hope he's given the time and scope to make a positive impact at the Falkirk Stadium because I have no doubt he'll be a big success.

That's good to hear. Goes without saying that we need somebody who can improve things off the pitch. I just hope he doesn't get weighed down by the absolute shite around him at TFS.

Did we not say in the weekly update that info on the StJohnstone game would be made available on social media? First I heard anything was from a mate that’s a saints supporter, poor show, former St Johnstone youngster Ewan Loudon with warriors goal today 

That was enjoyable win over Dumbarton in the League Cup this evening! Despite going down to Ross MacLean's first-half strike, a thunderbolt from Jamie Lyon and a header from Robert Thomson gave Warriors the victory in their first competitive match of the season.

The stream wasn't working properly for the first 24 minutes, with the automated camera fixed on the halfway line, so it was difficult to tell if we were good or not, but when it did start working it looked as though the Sons were the better side. They caused us bother with balls out wide and seemed to get a lot of joy from attacking Michael Anderson at right-back. I'm not sure what Anderson's natural position is (midfielder?) but any time I've seen him it's been in defence and he has not looked comfortable there; it was no surprise to see him hooked at the interval for Ross Lyon. MacLean's goal came just before the break when we failed to deal with a corner and he rifled home from 12 yards.

I thought Stenhousemuir were very good after the restart and deserved the three points. Thomson and Tam Orr looked dangerous up front (the former could have scored a hat-trick), the Lyons, Ross and Jamie, were enterprising going forward and Nat Wedderburn gave the makeshift backline a good degree of protection. Lyon's goal was excellent, curling a stunning shot into the top corner from 25 yards, and Thomson took his header well (although why the Dumbarton defender stepped away from him and gave him the space to header home, God only knows). Jamie Lyon looks like a smashing prospect and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him. Dumbarton did not play well in the second half and I can't remember any moments when we were under any real threat.

All in all, an impressive run out. I will admit I'm still a little concerned about our defence - I do think we lack a reliable partner for Sean Crichton - but these quibbles can wait for the time being.

57 minutes ago, mr_malcolm said:

How you guys finding bj Coll?

I like him better at centre back from the limited viewing. He will start as understudy to Mills when the league starts anyway I'm pretty certain of that.

We started brilliantly tonight and should have scored in the first few minutes but Thomson hit the post after good work from James Lyon. Dumbarton took hold of the game from about 25 minutes to half time and to be honest maybe should have been 2-0 up at half time.

Swift made the change at half time that we badly needed. With Michael Anderson having a nightmare and having been booked he was replaced by Ross Lyon and the game turned from there. 

We were dominant second half and it was pretty much wave after wave of attack. Mills coming on as well gave us proper width with him and Ross Lyon bombing on at every opportunity. These two are rapid and exciting players.

James Lyon looks a proper player. Always positive with the ball and works hard off it. Dare I say it he gives me a similar feeling to the first time I seen Harry Paton, just the smell that he's going to operate at a very good level in the not too distant future. His goal was sensational.

The front two are a handful and particularly in our league should get good numbers between them. 

I think we are a centre back away from a really good side but it's going to be an enjoyable watch this season regardless.

Technically was for home fans only but it's not really enforceable and to be honest a load of absolute nonsense.

There will be Partick and St Mirren fans at our home games as well I would imagine. 

Watched your highlights from last night, as a former local with a bit of a soft spot for any team that isn't Falkirk Football Club.

Looked a decent performance, I'm really interested in how Stenny get on this season with Swift at the helm and the influx of BSC players. Both goals seemed to happen in slo-mo! Great strike from Lyon and the ballmin to Thomson was tremendous, as was his finish - but as mentioned above, the Dumbarton defender will be having nightmares about that. Looks like Thomson maybe gave him a touch which deceived him into thinking he was being charged before taking a step back. Great striker play either way.

Good luck this season!

I just thought I'd drop in to echo the praise of wee James Lyon. He was absolutely superb last night - even ignoring his beautiful goal. 

Every time he got on the ball it was like the whole tempo of the game moved up a notch. In the first-half when Stenny dropped out of things a bit, he was still keen to get on the ball and make something happen. For someone who looks like he left Primary school over the summer he put himself about too. Ian McCall was sat a few seats away from me and he looked impressed. Or at least as impressed as Ian McCall can look.

I can't see you guys not having a good season with that squad to be honest. Stephen Swift identified the weak points (hiya Michael Anderson and Craig Reid, hiya pals) and hooked them early on. After both changes Stenhousemuir improved, and I think a special mention has to go to Ross Lyon. His addition in place of Anderson at half-time made a massive difference. I thought he was terrific. 

I had hoped we'd be going for Tam Orr after our games with Stranraer too. He's such a selfless, busy player. He might not be prolific, but I bet you'd love to have him as your strike partner. I hope he's alright after battering into Sam Ramsbottom. It reminded me of a time I had a falling out with my best mate at school who was a hulking big centre-back. I decided I was going to smash him the next time there was a high ball, chucked everything I could at him and it felt like I had been hit by a bus. I was winded for about a week. 

Apologies for the stream issues. From speaking to our tech guy it took three full reboots of Pixellot's server for it to finally burst into life. Stood in the stand, we had no clue what you guys could or couldn't see and probably ended up rambling a wee bit. But hopefully it wasn't too insufferable.

All the best for the season. If nothing else your touchline should be good entertainment. Frazer Wright was having a right go at one of our fans (braver man than me taking on big Frazer Wright) and Michael Moore spent the whole game shouting "f***ing hopeless" at Stuart Carswell every time he was near the ball. Carsy seemed quite riled by the end and, after shouting back "f**k off baldy" a few times, the two of them had to be ushered down their respective tunnels whilst Carsy shouted "But who are you?" at him. It was a really enjoyable watch. 

Edited by Jan Vojáček