Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

10 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Stennhousemuir beat Alloa Athletic 2-1 this evening in a friendly match at the Recs.

We do not know who scored and we do not know what the line-ups were but we do know that one our goals was direct from a free-kick (Ross Forbes?) and the other was a penalty.

Indeed, it was Ross Forbes with the free-kick (who else!) and Tam Orr with the penalty.

Forbes is showing incredible consistency with his free-kicks. That's now three in three games. Remarkable!

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Indeed, it was Ross Forbes with the free-kick (who else!) and Tam Orr with the penalty.

Forbes is showing incredible consistency with his free-kicks. That's now three in three games. Remarkable!

I am still awaiting the Twitter account to reply so good to get that information.

It really is beyond tinpot at times.

Here's the updated squad list for the 2021/22 campaign:

GOALKEEPERS

• Ryan Marshall (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Graeme Smith
  • Davie Wilson (signed from Clyde)

DEFENDERS

• BJ Coll (signed from Forfar Athletic)
  • Adam Corbett
  • Sean Crighton (signed from Airdrieonians
  • Ross Lyon (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Jamie Mills (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Craig Reid (signed from Kelty Hearts)
  • Jordan Tapping (signed from East Stirlingshire)

MIDFIELDERS

• Michael Anderson (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Adam Brown (signed from Alloa Athletic)
  • Ross Forbes (signed from Dumbarton)
  • Declan Hughes (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • James Lyon (signed from Partick Thistle - on loan)
  • Euan O'Reilly (signed from Airdrieonians)
  • Nat Wedderburn (signed from Dumbarton)

FORWARDS

• Darren "Daz" Christie (signed from Pollok)
  • Cammy Graham
  • Thomas Orr (signed from Stranraer)
  • Ryan Tierney (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Robert Thomson (signed from Alloa Athletic)

OUT ON LOAN

• Josh Grigor (Syngenta)

Seems very highly rated at Thistle among the staff and fans.

An exciting attacking talent to add to the mix with what we already have we now have some quality and flair to pick from in the attacking third.

I wonder what our starting XI will be when the competitive games roll around. Stephen Swift has used everyone available to him in the past few friendlies, fielding a mish-mash of presumably guaranteed starters with non-league jobbers, but when the big boys' stuff starts, I reckon he'll go with:

- Robert Thomson - Tam Orr - Euan O'Reilly -

- James Lyon - Declan Hughes - Ross Forbes -

- Jamie Mills - Jordan Tapping - Sean Crighton - Ross Lyon -

- Ryan Marshall -

I like what I've seen from Cammy Graham in these pre-season games but feel the manager will select his "own man" in O'Reilly as a wide attacker alongside Thomson and Orr. We don't really have a lot of dynamism in the middle of the park and I hope Lyon will drive the side forward. I have a slight worries over central defence - while I'm sure Crighton will be the bedrock on which the team is built, who should partner him? A player who's never really kicked on in his career and already looks like an injury concern in Jordan Tapping? Or an older, more experienced player who might be lucky to find himself playing in the SPFL at this stage in Craig Reid?

Either way, it's a decent-ish side and one I hope can challenge for the top four. I cannot wait for the real stuff to get going!

The CB situ will be interesting. I would be worried about mobility of a Crighton/Reid partnership but at same time very experienced. I think in swifts mind it would be tapping/crighton to compliment each others weaknesses but we need tapping fit and that is a concern.

Looking at the rest of the league zilch to fear, even Kelty can be got at, they should have enough to win the league but I just have a feeling they won't be as good as say Cove or QP with the better budget.

Just can't wait till it's back to normal. Wee bar and mediocre football. Inject it.

This is only tangentially related to Stenhousemuir FC but erstwhile Warrior Harry Paton has been called up to the Canada national team:

The wee man is going to be rubbing shoulders with superstars like Alphonso Davies, fair play to him! Paton is one of my favourite Stenhousemuir players and it's great to see him getting the chance to play at this level.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

This is only tangentially related to Stenhousemuir FC but erstwhile Warrior Harry Paton has been called up to the Canada national team:

The wee man is going to be rubbing shoulders with superstars like Alphonso Davies, fair play to him! Paton is one of my favourite Stenhousemuir players and it's great to see him getting the chance to play at this level.

Great news for Harry - looked the part when we had him, had a bit of flair as well as being able to give it and take it. Good luck to him.

On 30/06/2021 at 21:39, true fan said:

Pretty full squad now but 1 from Hibs? If not where does that leave the strategic partnership?

Hibs have one with Brighton yet they’ve sent players to both Hearts and Aberdeen and zero to Hibs.

On 30/06/2021 at 09:07, Francesc Fabregas said:

After not scoring one at all in his third spell with us. We all know what that means for July 13!

On 30/06/2021 at 20:37, Francesc Fabregas said:

I wonder what our starting XI will be when the competitive games roll around. Stephen Swift has used everyone available to him in the past few friendlies, fielding a mish-mash of presumably guaranteed starters with non-league jobbers, but when the big boys' stuff starts, I reckon he'll go with:

- Robert Thomson - Tam Orr - Euan O'Reilly -

- James Lyon - Declan Hughes - Ross Forbes -

- Jamie Mills - Jordan Tapping - Sean Crighton - Ross Lyon -

- Ryan Marshall -

I like what I've seen from Cammy Graham in these pre-season games but feel the manager will select his "own man" in O'Reilly as a wide attacker alongside Thomson and Orr. We don't really have a lot of dynamism in the middle of the park and I hope Lyon will drive the side forward. I have a slight worries over central defence - while I'm sure Crighton will be the bedrock on which the team is built, who should partner him? A player who's never really kicked on in his career and already looks like an injury concern in Jordan Tapping? Or an older, more experienced player who might be lucky to find himself playing in the SPFL at this stage in Craig Reid?

Either way, it's a decent-ish side and one I hope can challenge for the top four. I cannot wait for the real stuff to get going!

I personally think it will be a 4 4 2 but the midfield  will be a diamond 

Marshall 

Coll Crighton Tapping Mills

Wedderburn

Forbes                   Hughes 

Lyon 

Orr         Thompson 

Did anyone make it through to Ainslie Park this afternoon? Judging by the Stenhousemuir FC Twitter account, it seemed like a straightforward win, with Tam Orr and Bobby Thomson looking sharp together and scoring three of our five goals.

That's five wins from our five pre-season friendlies and you have to say: fair play. I am very excited for the first league encounter.

30 minutes ago, leomessi1984 said:

Biabi in at Kelty. Any thoughts from you guys. 

Apparently Botti Biabi was in training with Greenock Morton before signing up with Kelty Hearts, so fair play on winning his signature. He was a frustrating player at Stenhousemuir - he's versatile, he's strong, he's quick across short distances and he can chip in with the odd goal here and there, but he can run the ball into cul-de-sacs, pass up easy chances and is predictable (he'll always want to take the ball onto his right foot, regardless if the space is opening up on his left). He obviously has something about him and I think his up-and-down displays at Ochilview were as much about the malaise at the club under Davie Irons as much as they were about him as a player. Like his team-mate Ryan Blair, I think he'll actually do well in a different environment.

Biabi will definitely bring something different to Kelty's attacking options but he will make you mutter: "for fuck's sake, Bots" under your breath from time to time. I hope he can do you a good turn.

15 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Apparently Botti Biabi was in training with Greenock Morton before signing up with Kelty Hearts, so fair play on winning his signature. He was a frustrating player at Stenhousemuir - he's versatile, he's strong, he's quick across short distances and he can chip in with the odd goal here and there, but he can run the ball into cul-de-sacs, pass up easy chances and is predictable (he'll always want to take the ball onto his right foot, regardless if the space is opening up on his left). He obviously has something about him and I think his up-and-down displays at Ochilview were as much about the malaise at the club under Davie Irons as much as they were about him as a player. Like his team-mate Ryan Blair, I think he'll actually do well in a different environment.

Biabi will definitely bring something different to Kelty's attacking options but he will make you mutter: "for f**k's sake, Bots" under your breath from time to time. I hope he can do you a good turn.

Sounds like he'll replace Easton in the "bags of ability but can be frustrating as f**k" stakes! Cheers for the feedback too 👍