Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

What did everyone make of yesterday's match against Benburb? Stenhousemuir won 2-1 courtesy of a Ryan Tierney header and a lovely free-kick from Ross Forbes before conceding towards the death. It wasn't a particularly cohesive performance from the Warriors, who found it a lot tougher going than Thursday's encounter with Syngenta. A lot of the play involved trying to chip balls over the top for the strikers to run onto, especially in the second half, but the tactic brought little success and Benburb dealt with us well enough. The players didn't seem to be on the same wavelength at times and began sniping at one another after misreading each other's intentions. Tam Orr in particular, a second-half substitute, would drop short when a ball was put in behind and vice versa.

Our starting XI was similar to the team that pitched up on Thursday, a hodge-podge of nailed-on starters and fringe players. Ross Lyon and Robert Thomson looked good in the first half - the former was a nuisance down the right flank while the latter was a strong presence up front and out wide. I didn't think much of Tierney, despite his goal, and I imagine he's only been brought in to beef up the numbers on the cheap. Jordan Tapping went off injured, same as Thursday, and his fitness is a concern at this early stage; BJ Coll filled in at centre-back. I'm not quite sure what to make of Michael Anderson yet but he was poor at Benburb's consolation and was shoved off the ball too easily.

Like the Syngenta game, I don't want to read too much into it. It's all about minutes in the tank and, in that regard, it's job done, but I was expecting something a bit better.

I would never read anything into pre season games, but I am worried that our default is continually to be, in general, ex Lowland League, or more specifically, ex BSC players. The new manager will need to make a swift (hee hee) start otherwise I can imagine quite a bit of discontent/concern/worry/panic etc.

On the positive side, we've scored two goals direct from free kicks in consecutive games which after a season of Ryan Blair ballooning the ball out of the ground is to be celebrated. Just need to ensure Forbes stays fit. 

I've updated the 2021/22 squad list to reflect Ryan Tierney's recent signing and the imminent addition of Davie Wilson from Clyde, who will join before the end of the week when his contract with Clyde expires. Wilson has been playing as a trialist in recent matches.

GOALKEEPERS

• Ryan Marshall (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Graeme Smith
  • Davie Wilson (signed from Clyde)

DEFENDERS

• BJ Coll (signed from Forfar Athletic)
  • Adam Corbett
  • Sean Crighton (signed from Airdrieonians
  • Ross Lyon (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Jamie Mills (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Craig Reid (signed from Kelty Hearts)
  • Jordan Tapping (signed from East Stirlingshire)

MIDFIELDERS

• Michael Anderson (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Adam Brown (signed from Alloa Athletic)
  • Ross Forbes (signed from Dumbarton)
  • Declan Hughes (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Euan O'Reilly (signed from Airdrieonians)
  • Nat Wedderburn (signed from Dumbarton)

FORWARDS

• Darren "Daz" Christie (signed from Pollok)
  • Cammy Graham
  • Thomas Orr (signed from Stranraer)
  • Ryan Tierney (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Robert Thomson (signed from Alloa Athletic)

OUT ON LOAN

• Josh Grigor (Syngenta)

I know we've joked about "BSC Stenny" but I've never seen a manager bring in so many players en masse from his old club before. That's six players signed directly from BSC and another four (Wilson, O'Reilly, Chirstie and Orr) who have played under Stephen Swift at some point in the past. Fair play!

That's a squad of 21 going into the new season. That must be us done now?

Maybe not quite as many but Coughlin brought a few from Berwick and I think more when McVeigh brought several from Albion. Both went well in the short term. The difficulty starts 1-2 years later when he needs to sign players who aren't the low hanging fruit that is familiar contacts.

Anybody who has seen us willing to try a starting XI if the season started tomorrow or a few names at least?

I haven't seen us but from the vibes I'm guessing if its 4-3-3 then Crightan and a.n.other in the middle? Is Tapping the favourite for that?

Full backs seemed to be those with most uniformly negative comments, mmh?

Can Forbes and Wedderburn play together - both slow but able?

Up front is it Thomson, Orr and a.n.other? who seems most likely?

One thing that impresses in the fact that the squad is balanced. Other years I'm thinking before we kick a ball there's one area where we don't have proper cover. Recent years we have only had 2 natural wide midfielders or not much cover in central defence. This time we have cover across the positions

Edited by true fan

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I've updated the 2021/22 squad list to reflect Ryan Tierney's recent signing and the imminent addition of Davie Wilson from Clyde, who will join before the end of the week when his contract with Clyde expires. Wilson has been playing as a trialist in recent matches.

GOALKEEPERS

• Ryan Marshall (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Graeme Smith
  • Davie Wilson (signed from Clyde)

DEFENDERS

• BJ Coll (signed from Forfar Athletic)
  • Adam Corbett
  • Sean Crighton (signed from Airdrieonians
  • Ross Lyon (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Jamie Mills (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Craig Reid (signed from Kelty Hearts)
  • Jordan Tapping (signed from East Stirlingshire)

MIDFIELDERS

• Michael Anderson (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Adam Brown (signed from Alloa Athletic)
  • Ross Forbes (signed from Dumbarton)
  • Declan Hughes (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Euan O'Reilly (signed from Airdrieonians)
  • Nat Wedderburn (signed from Dumbarton)

FORWARDS

• Darren "Daz" Christie (signed from Pollok)
  • Cammy Graham
  • Thomas Orr (signed from Stranraer)
  • Ryan Tierney (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Robert Thomson (signed from Alloa Athletic)

OUT ON LOAN

• Josh Grigor (Syngenta)

I know we've joked about "BSC Stenny" but I've never seen a manager bring in so many players en masse from his old club before. That's six players signed directly from BSC and another four (Wilson, O'Reilly, Chirstie and Orr) who have played under Stephen Swift at some point in the past. Fair play!

That's a squad of 21 going into the new season. That must be us done now?

When Jim Chapman moved to Clyde, he brought in the following ex-Annan players (not all directly from Annan but all had been there in the previous couple of years):

Illes Belkacem, Jack Breslin, Jordan Brown, Barry Cuddihy, Blair Currie, Pinio Dachnowicz, Callum Home, Kevin Nicoll, Smart Osolador, Darren Ramsey, Jordan Stewart, Lewis Wilson, Max Wright.

He also inherited Matty Flynn and Martin McNiff who had previously been at Annan under his stewardship.

No wonder that he was binned after just a quarter of the season.

5 minutes ago, David W said:

When Jim Chapman moved to Clyde, he brought in the following ex-Annan players (not all directly from Annan but all had been there in the previous couple of years):

Illes Belkacem, Jack Breslin, Jordan Brown, Barry Cuddihy, Blair Currie, Pinio Dachnowicz, Callum Home, Kevin Nicoll, Smart Osolador, Darren Ramsey, Jordan Stewart, Lewis Wilson, Max Wright.

He also inherited Matty Flynn and Martin McNiff who had previously been at Annan under his stewardship.

No wonder that he was binned after just a quarter of the season.

474982042_Screenshot2021-01-18at23_20_48.thumb.png.5c73f6421679f74d12e1998c023b7b3f.png

To be fair the BSC thing was only a concern as so many at the start all came together. Business since has been good.

I think no matter what happens this season it will be fun and the team will be very likeable.

1 hour ago, true fan said:

Can Forbes and Wedderburn play together - both slow but able?

In central-midfield together? Hell no.

With Wedderburn sitting and Forbes as a wide midfielder in a midfield five? Sort of.

56 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We're signing some jobber on loan from Partick Thistle:

Any information on James Lyon would be gratefully appreciated.

Ian McCall thinks he’s very good. Made a couple of appearances off the bench towards the end of last season for us. He’s quite small, but looks to be comfortable on the ball. Centre midfielder.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We're signing some jobber on loan from Partick Thistle:

Any information on James Lyon would be gratefully appreciated.

Very highly thought of at Thistle. Tidy centre mid. Would expect him to either stroll the league or be totally found out as a wee boy. Doubt there will be much in between.

Always quite liked Stenny since it was both my first ever Thistle home and away games. 

Best of luck for the season lads.

7:03 in here is what he's done so far in very limited game time, picks up the ball, runs at the defence and lays it off for Cardle to score. Seems a very tidy wee player but you can emphasise both the tidy and the wee so agree that he could either stick out or get swallowed up.

48 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

7:03 in here is what he's done so far in very limited game time, picks up the ball, runs at the defence and lays it off for Cardle to score. Seems a very tidy wee player but you can emphasise both the tidy and the wee so agree that he could either stick out or get swallowed up.

This looks promising. By being able to simply "run forward with the ball", Lyon is immediately more mobile and progressive than Nat Wedderburn, and that is a good thing.

Stennhousemuir beat Alloa Athletic 2-1 this evening in a friendly match at the Recs.

We do not know who scored and we do not know what the line-ups were but we do know that one our goals was direct from a free-kick (Ross Forbes?) and the other was a penalty.