Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Sorry to see Hoppy go but we did not get much from him last year.

Interesting that only 3 of last year's squad still remain, Corbett arriving on transfer deadline day, Graham and Smith both missed majority of the season through injury.  Shows how much Swift thought of our squad when he arrived and how our high expectations were dashed. At least this year the squad is assembled well before the season starts and there should still be a couple of signings plus the Hibs loanees. 

Hopefully we will be back in the ground to cheer them on.

Interesting to note that in the Cammy Graham interview I posted the other day, he says he was offered a new contract as soon as he got his diagnosis. I wonder if the same was the case for the other two kept on who were long term injuries? i.e. perhaps not even Swift's decision, and he may have had a full sweep of the decks had they not been in place. 

Don't think it means anything either way, just an observation.

Quite surprised to see Hopkirk leave you. Always thought there was a player in there and was really disappointed that things never worked out for him at Clyde, although he had his reasons. Hopefully he's away to another club and stays in the game, feel like it would be a bit of a waste if that was him done.

I think that's the problem with Hoppy there is clearly a player in there but you very rarely see it and certainly don't see it consistently. That's based on pre injury as well I certainly wouldn't judge him on last season coming off the back of that injury playing damp squibs.

I wish him all the best and hope he does well wherever he goes but don't ultimately feel its a big loss for us going forward.

That’s 2 contracted players walked away and nothing to show for it. Makes me wonder

Tapping - there was a clause - if he would only come with a clause and we wanted him and the clause was relating to time between seasons, fair enough (I’m curious what the clause was).

Hopkirk - if he’s retiring and we don’t see him been essential, fair enough. Should/could we hold on to the registration of players in these circumstances. They stop playing, we stop paying wages but make one of payment of £10 to make  holding registration a legal contract. Do we think he will play elsewhere next season? In league 2, against us, scoring 3 or 4 goals against us across 4 games? If he doesn’t play these queries are academic but if he does are we saying 2 year contracts (not all that common for us historically) are meaningless? or saying we are just small time?

Edited by true fan

I think you are reading far too much into it.

No one is going to pay a fee for David Hopkirk in this climate. He wanted to go and we were happy to oblige I don't see the point in looking at it any more deeply than that.

28 minutes ago, Neilly said:

I think you are reading far too much into it.

No one is going to pay a fee for David Hopkirk in this climate. He wanted to go and we were happy to oblige I don't see the point in looking at it any more deeply than that.

As you say.  Has he fully recovered from his injury, is he going to be the same player? Better to let him go if he has indicated that he wishes to leave and save a wage. Did not realise he was only 28 thought he was older. Also had quite a few clubs in his time which may also tell a story of someone who is discontent after a couple of years at a club. Good luck to him.

Hopkirk wasn’t the same player he was prior to signing the 2 year contract. Letting him go now suits both parties.

Tapping is a different story, but whatever the clause was, we were happy to accept it when he signed the contract. My guess is that it was probably related to whether we were promoted or not.

I see we have some pre-season games pencilled in, are we likely to be able to have some fans in by the time these come around? Or maybe they are scheduled as BCD anyway?

Saturday June 19th - Home to Kilwinning (2pm)

Tuesday June 22nd - Home to Bo'ness (7.30pm) clashes with Scotland Vs Croatia in the Euros 

Saturday June 26th - Away to Benburb (2pm)

Saturday July 3rd - Away to Spartans (1pm)

Edited by Christophe

2 hours ago, Christophe said:

I see we have some pre-season games pencilled in, are we likely to be able to have some fans in by the time these come around? Or maybe they are scheduled as BCD anyway?

Saturday June 19th - Home to Kilwinning (2pm)

Tuesday June 22nd - Home to Bo'ness (7.30pm) clashes with Scotland Vs Croatia in the Euros 

Saturday June 26th - Away to Benburb (2pm)

Saturday July 3rd - Away to Spartans (1pm)

You are allowed 500 in level 1. Whether stenny want to or not might be a different matter. Livingston utd arent letting ppl in for our friendly next week yet whitburn are this week

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Verdict?

I had actually quoted you on the "Sons' Sorrow" thread. My thoughts on David Hopkirk:

He was midway through a two-year contract with Stenhousemuir before it was mutually terminated, allowing him to join Dumbarton. I don't think anyone was particularly fussed to see him moving on from Ochilview - his 2020/21 season was blighted by injury and inconsistency and, off the top of my head, I don't really recall him turning in an outstanding performance.

He can be a capable player, good at running with the ball down the right flank and chucking in crosses, and he was one of our better players in 2019/20 (although that really isn't saying much) but he's guilty of drifting through matches and can be a frustrating player. Who knows, maybe a change of scenery might do him the world of good!

I hope he does Dumbarton a good turn.

I think a quick scan through the previous pages of this thread will give you a decent indication of how he was rated amongst the Stenny support.

3 hours ago, true fan said:

Any news on brown (offered terms) and o’reilly (rumoured to be joining us)

Somebody on our Facebook group posted one of those Stenny signing graphics with Euan O'Reilly in front of it but I can't see it posted anywhere else. You'd like to think they weren't sad enough to make it up... 

Here's the team for the upcoming season to reflect this evening's latest signing:

GOALKEEPERS

• Ryan Marshall (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Graeme Smith

DEFENDERS

• BJ Coll (signed from Forfar Athletic)
  • Adam Corbett
  • Sean Crighton (signed from Airdrieonians
  • Ross Lyon (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Jamie Mills (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Jordan Tapping (signed from East Stirlingshire)

MIDFIELDERS

• Michael Anderson (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Adam Brown (signed from Alloa Athletic)
  • Ross Forbes (signed from Dumbarton)
  • Declan Hughes (signed from BSC Glasgow)
  • Euan O'Reilly (signed from Airdrieonians)
  • Nat Wedderburn (signed from Dumbarton)

FORWARDS

• Darren "Daz" Christie (signed from Pollok)
  • Cammy Graham
  • Thomas Orr (signed from Stranraer)
  • Robert Thomson (signed from Alloa Athletic)

OUT ON LOAN

• Josh Grigor (Syngenta)

The squad is looking a little light and I reckon we're three or four players away. We've signed a goalkeeper too, and it can't be long until he's announced.